Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The lessor of two evils - which carbs?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The lessor of two evils - which carbs?

    If, out of all the things we really shouldn't eat, but are thinking of doing so (as I'm always hungry!) what would you recommend?

    My meals mainly consist of a huge plate of veg and either some chicken, fish, or beef (usually 3 times a day). I have quite a bit of fruit and loads and loads of nuts. But I'm always feeling hungry.

    I've heard getting more fats down you can help - but I can't think how to introduce more, so am thinking about turning to some carbs.

    I am pretty skinny so (excess) weight is not an issue. Any ideas on what I can do? Your help would be greatly appreciated!
    :-)

  • #2
    Sweet potatoes, squash, cauliflower....more olive oil, bacon fat, and butter if you do dairy. Also, choose fatty cuts of beef.

    ETA - don't forget cocobutter, coconut oil, and avocado too!
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

    http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

    Comment


    • #3
      If you do dairy, add sour cream, greek yogurt, and natural whole milk cheeses to the above list.
      Next time you are hungry drink a can of coconut milk and see what happens to your hunger.
      If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

      Comment


      • #4
        Yes, coconut milk! I love it in a cup of green tea it really helps to curb the appetite.
        Meghan

        My MDA journal

        Primal Ponderings- my blog- finally added some food pron :P

        And best of all my Body Fat Makeover!!

        Comment


        • #5
          Thanks for the replies all!

          Originally posted by jammies View Post
          Sweet potatoes, squash, cauliflower....more olive oil, bacon fat, and butter if you do dairy. Also, choose fatty cuts of beef.

          ETA - don't forget cocobutter, coconut oil, and avocado too!
          Added sweet potatoes and squash to my list I love olive oil, but used to add it to cous cous - salads don't work with so much :-/

          Can't do dairy tho - lactose intolerant

          I think I need to find more recipes - as making a filling meal is more my problem, I think.

          Originally posted by tfarny View Post
          If you do dairy, add sour cream, greek yogurt, and natural whole milk cheeses to the above list.
          Next time you are hungry drink a can of coconut milk and see what happens to your hunger.
          Originally posted by NutMeg View Post
          Yes, coconut milk! I love it in a cup of green tea it really helps to curb the appetite.
          Coconut milk? Really? Can you just drink it out of a can? Won't it make me wanna be sick? (lol) I actually have a can downstairs...am tempted to go drink it LOL
          :-)

          Comment


          • #6
            good ol' fashioned water can help curb appetite as well. I usually have a glass when i feel a bit hungry and it'll do the trick.
            Homo sum, humani nil a me alienum puto

            Comment


            • #7
              Since weight isn't an issue just eat more. Double up on the meats and fat and eat until your full.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by stuffguru View Post
                good ol' fashioned water can help curb appetite as well. I usually have a glass when i feel a bit hungry and it'll do the trick.
                I drink loads as it is, lol. (And try not to drink too much at night - which is when I usually feel hungry).

                Originally posted by erikJ View Post
                Since weight isn't an issue just eat more. Double up on the meats and fat and eat until your full.
                That's actually a neat idea! I think I'm getting a bit bored of my meals, too, and need to start finding more staples to add to my arsenal.

                Anyone recommend a thread which has everyone's fave recipes? (I'll go do a search now...)
                :-)

                Comment


                • #9
                  Check out the food porn thread! Most of the pics have links to recipes.

                  Try making some indian curries too! I made one the other day for the first time and man...it was amazing!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Or Thai curries with coconut milk!!! yummy!
                    Meghan

                    My MDA journal

                    Primal Ponderings- my blog- finally added some food pron :P

                    And best of all my Body Fat Makeover!!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by jspradley View Post
                      Check out the food porn thread! Most of the pics have links to recipes.

                      Try making some indian curries too! I made one the other day for the first time and man...it was amazing!
                      Originally posted by NutMeg View Post
                      Or Thai curries with coconut milk!!! yummy!
                      Hehe, guess what thread I've just been looking at! *grin

                      I LOVE curries, but curries don't love me unfortunately I think the spices irritate my system (and I'm not all that good with tomatoes) or, maybe it's because I've always had them with some sort of wheat/bread? Would need a side tho, as they're a bit too spicy otherwise (least the one's my mum makes are).
                      :-)

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Well, Thai curry isn't spicy unless you want it to be, and I never make it with tomatoes!

                        I use this to make it:
                        http://www.amazon.com/Thai-Kitchen-G.../dp/B0000CNU7F

                        I pour in teh coconut milk, and some stock add the curry some protein and cauliflower or zucchini and serve. Sometimes I add fish sauce and a little hot sauce for me, but not for the kids. It is good with some cilantro too.
                        Meghan

                        My MDA journal

                        Primal Ponderings- my blog- finally added some food pron :P

                        And best of all my Body Fat Makeover!!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by NutMeg View Post
                          Or Thai curries with coconut milk!!! yummy!
                          YES!!! Those are great too!

                          Make extra veggies to make up for not using rice.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Do you mean the heat is to spicy or just the spices are too strong?

                            You can leave out the pepper if you want, I like spicy so I throw a little bit of Redneck Pepper (ok so it's South Indian curry lol) in there in places of the crushed red pepper but you can leave that out and stil get the taste of the cardamon.

                            I sauteed some veggies last time I made it and served the curry on that instead of rice, it tasted better and didn't make me feel like dookie like back when I used to make curries and serve them with rice.

                            I did cheat and split a piece of Naan bread with my girlfriend though, it was gooood and so long as you don't go overboard with it I don't see a problem. But then again I'm probably only an 80-85 percent-er... haha

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Ast View Post
                              If, out of all the things we really shouldn't eat, but are thinking of doing so (as I'm always hungry!) what would you recommend?

                              My meals mainly consist of a huge plate of veg and either some chicken, fish, or beef (usually 3 times a day). I have quite a bit of fruit and loads and loads of nuts. But I'm always feeling hungry.

                              I've heard getting more fats down you can help - but I can't think how to introduce more, so am thinking about turning to some carbs.

                              I am pretty skinny so (excess) weight is not an issue. Any ideas on what I can do? Your help would be greatly appreciated!
                              Something is wrong here. I don't think throwing more carbs to the equation will help any.
                              Lets try something else. Get some pre and probiotics. Eat some kimchi, add some kefir.
                              Your problem seems to be incomplete digestion and absorption. This causes you to eat more and feel hungry regularly. And possibly is the reason for your low weight.

                              That is my reading I could be wrong.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X