Dr. Bronners soap as shampoo

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dr. Bronners soap as shampoo

I saw in another thread that people use Dr. Bronner's as shampoo and it helps with dandruff. I have tried it the last 2 days and my hair feels icky. It feels like I have a bunch of product in it, kinda sticky, for lack of a better description. I rinsed really well both days and no conditioner after. All though I do use a spray on leave conditioner so I can get a comb through it. My hair is long, kinds thick, and curly/wavy. I like the idea of a natural shampoo, but my hair just feels gross. Any ideas or has anyone experienced this?

I haven't used it but a few people have said it didn't work well as a shampoo. I have very long hair which is naturally curly and I've started to use baking soda as a shampoo. it works really well and doesn't dry my hair out or anything.

Comment

Originally posted by StoneAgeQueen View Post
      I haven't used it but a few people have said it didn't work well as a shampoo. I have very long hair which is naturally curly and I've started to use baking soda as a shampoo. it works really well and doesn't dry my hair out or anything.
      Do you have any dandruff/psoriasis issues? That was the reason I was trying the Dr. Bronner's. I have tried to baking soda and vinegar in the past. Do you use the vinegar? I always thought my hair smelled like wet dog when I used the vinegar, but it felts awesome.

Comment

I haven't had a lot of luck since I gave up shampoo. Dr. Bronner's -- sticky, and a white residue started building up on the brush and comb. Pine tar soap -- ditto, plus at first it smelled like burnt rubber. I like the vinegar rinse well enough, well diluted with water before use.

I'll try the baking soda and then the vinegar rinse today. That's something I haven't tried yet.

I still wonder if using beer as shampoo would work better. People say it helps the hair get thick and healthy. Maybe when I have a few days off to try it the first time?

Comment

[QUOTE=piano-doctor-lady;264594]I haven't had a lot of luck since I gave up shampoo. Dr. Bronner's -- sticky, and a white residue started building up on the brush and comb.

I am glad the sticky isn't only me. I thought I was nuts!

Comment

Pretty hard to just invent a white residue in one's comb ... assuming it wasn't a hallucination? <grin>

I don't think I have the right answer for poo-less living yet. Somewhere there's something which doesn't have all the bad chemicals in it but can still do a good job on hair and be pleasant to use. I just haven't found it yet.

Comment

Originally posted by piano-doctor-lady View Post
              Pretty hard to just invent a white residue in one's comb ... assuming it wasn't a hallucination? <grin>

I don't think I have the right answer for poo-less living yet. Somewhere there's something which doesn't have all the bad chemicals in it but can still do a good job on hair and be pleasant to use. I just haven't found it yet.
              I haven't seen the white residue yet as I have only used it 2 days. lol Just that sticky feeling in my hair. I may try the baking soda again.

Comment

I use Kiss My Face Whenever shampoo. Mild and leaves my hair looking awesome! Baking soda gave me a rash, wierdly enough....

Also, when I optimized my vitamin D levels, my eczema and dry skin disappeared. So if you haven't already, I would suggest you check out the Vitamin D thread here.
                Last edited by Dragonfly; 11-14-2010, 01:27 PM.
                Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
                Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
                Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

Comment

I ahve started to skip the shampoo and just use a mild conditioner. I use a small amount of conditioner, rub it into the scalp really well and rinse with cool water, then put some more in and let it sit untilt he end of my shower, rinse and massage the scalp well again with cool water. It seems to be good so far. I couldn't do no poo.
                  Meghan

My MDA journal

Primal Ponderings- my blog- finally added some food pron :P

And best of all my Body Fat Makeover!!

Comment

Not sure no shampoo or some substitute would work. My scalp can get pretty oily.

Comment

http://nopoohair.blogspot.com/ This has an explanation of why the conditioner works. My hair gets really oily too and this seems to work. I have been doing it for just over a week. When I tried no shampoo and just warm water I was a grease ball.
                      Meghan

My MDA journal

Primal Ponderings- my blog- finally added some food pron :P

And best of all my Body Fat Makeover!!

Comment

Originally posted by NutMeg View Post
                        http://nopoohair.blogspot.com/ This has an explanation of why the conditioner works. My hair gets really oily too and this seems to work. I have been doing it for just over a week. When I tried no shampoo and just warm water I was a grease ball.
                        Interesting link NutMeg. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

I kinda get the same thing from their tea tree version, their baby shampoo version isn't as bad. Regardless, I use this brand and it rocks! It looks like a bar of soap but is actually shampoo.

http://www.jrliggett.com/
                          You'll never see the light if you're in someone else's shadow, or said another way, life is like a dog sled team, if you're not the lead dog, the scenery never changes

Comment

Well... I have never used Dr.Bronners Castile soap but I have used mine!!! www.allnaturalsoapstore.com
                            I do have customers who use it as shampoo. The soap nuts also work as shampoo. That is what they use in India. Its all natural and organic as well!

Comment

I agree with nutmeg on using conditioner only.

I have been using a silicone free conditioner for the last few months and my itchy red scalp has cleared up. About once a week I use regular shampoo or a plain bar of soap just to get the hair mousse residues off

Just for info; I have short, fine hair. Straight.
                              YMMV if you have thicker hair.

http://www.wikihow.com/Wash-Your-Hair-Without-Shampoo

Comment

Working...
                              X