gelatin

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gelatin

i did a search but my question wasnt found....

would gelatin be able to displace store bought marrow or close to the bone meat?? i ask b/c i have a thing against the really high fat store bought meat. i have plenty of grassfed tallow to go around the world. i know there is good qualities to eating collagen/gelatin esp for bone health(which i need more of)

any opinions?

and if i use gelatin...whatta i do with it?
    Get on my Level
    http://malpaz.wordpress.com/

I use gelatin to thicken stock, not only for the nutritional benefits and luscious mouthfeel, but because it gels in the frig and makes for spill-free transport in my lunch box.
    Started PB late 2008, lost 50 lbs by late 2009. Have been plateaued, but that thing may just be biting the dust: more on that later.

Comment

hmm so you just sprinkle it in stock? ill try. i want to use it for its joint benefits. how much do you use? has anyone had experience with using gelatin for bones & joints?
      Get on my Level

Comment

Originally posted by MalPaz View Post
        hmm so you just sprinkle it in stock? ill try. i want to use it for its joint benefits. how much do you use? has anyone had experience with using gelatin for bones & joints?
        I mix it with cold water to make a thin paste and mix that in the stock. Otherwise one gets bland jello lumps.
        Started PB late 2008, lost 50 lbs by late 2009. Have been plateaued, but that thing may just be biting the dust: more on that later.

Comment

When you make stews, braises, anything slow-cooked with a bone-in cut you automatically get gelatin in them. Tough cuts like shoulder also have it, even if boneless -- the collagen inherent in active muscles renders into gelatin. Making the garlic pulled pork recipe, the refrigerated remains turned into onion jello.

Comment

ohhhhh haha i get it now thank yoU!
            Get on my Level

Comment

Yum...onion jello.

Comment

I put some gelatin in my smoothie the other day, let it sit for a second, and then put the ice in (which causes it to set faster) so it would make for a thicker smoothie. Worked well! I'm sure gelatin could be an aid in making primal desserts, too.

Comment

Just make a chicken stock or braise a shank or shoulder and enjoy the natural gelatin.

Comment

I am thinking of using gelatin in my chilli to make it thicken, but the smoothie idea is great.
                    A steak a day keeps the doctor away

Comment

I'm not sure if you eat chicken, but the bones are an easy source of gelatin (which is just denatured collagen). Since a whole chicken carcass has all of the connective tissue, it is a great source of nutrients for joint health. If you make your own stock and it turns jello-y in the fridge, then you got a lot of gelatin in there, plus all of the other great stuff. I'm not sure that store-bought gelatin would have anything more than just the gelatin.

Comment

The meaty "onion jello" discussed here is called Aspic when used in culinary applications and makes for some hilarious google image searches.
                        carl's cave

Comment

i use gelatin but unless it starts to cool do not find it to be a great thickener.
                          i add it to any soup and i usually make quick soups w store bought stock. also to eggnog & smoothies and yesterday i made a dessert/snack; brewed green tea (just needed to use it up), strawberries and fresh squeezed oj. i just desolved the gel in warm tea and stirred the rest in at room temp and chilled. needless to say it's good w cream or sc, greek yogurt.
                          i add it to home made icecream as well. or just panacotta. the possibilities are endless.
                          i order the kosher struff on line.

Comment

Here's another use for gelatin:
                            http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_QAp1nBQ2g3...+Thanksgiving8.

Comment

update.... i have been making sauces with gelatin.... use chicken/beef stock and pour it in the cast iron cold, and pour gelatin over...add fat/spices/onions/garlic and bring to a simmer/low boil and stir....AMAZZZZING. dunno that it has helped my joints but it sure makes cheap beef tastier!
                              Get on my Level

Comment

Working...
                              X