Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could you get any deficiancies from eating primal during puberty?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could you get any deficiancies from eating primal during puberty?

I don't see how. Eating primally helps improve hormone function. AS long as you are making sure to get the needed micronutrients, which I find easier to do when I don't eat grains. I think an adolescent should be eating plenty of veggies and fruits for sure. But primal as a whole leans towards that.
    Meghan

My MDA journal

Primal Ponderings- my blog- finally added some food pron :P

And best of all my Body Fat Makeover!!

Comment

I've read that teens could have an "acne deficiency" by eating Primal during those formative years. I'd be very curious to see a scientific test on the subject, but most people notice their skin clears up after they switch to PB.

Comment

hah youre likely to get deficiencies NOT eating primal during puberty
        Get on my Level
        http://malpaz.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by MalPaz View Post
          hah youre likely to get deficiencies NOT eating primal during puberty
          Exactly!!!!

And I agree with Barry. Acne deficiency too. Which is good because I read recently that teens with acne are more likely to commit suicide. So primal is the way to go!
          Meghan

My MDA journal

Comment

A paleo/primal diet is FAR more nutrient-dense and hormone-supportive than any other way of eating -- regardless of age.
            Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Comment

Or another way to look at it is that your body is adapted to eat Primal, so the best way to get nutritional deficiencies is to NOT eat Primal. Remembering of course that Primal means organs too. Yum.
              My primal journal
              You might find these handy: Free gluten free restaurant cards in 50+ languages
              In Praise of the Primal Lifestyle

Comment

Bizarre question; I wish I'd be Primal my whole life...

Comment

Friend deficiencies.
                  You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
                    Friend deficiencies.
                    How so? Because you look too good no one wants to hang out with you?
                    Meghan

My MDA journal

Comment

I'm a teenager who's been roughly primal for a year. Never felt better. My cheekbones and jaw are really growing, which I think is from vit. A and fat respectively. I might be proof of WAP's theory that fat soluble vitamins increase face size. Anyone else notice this?

Comment

You gotta be kidding! XD

As a High Schooler, I can say that 9 out of ten kids live on a nutritionally void diet of poptarts, pizza, sugary breakfast cereals, and sweets. Primal, in contrast, is a veggie, dairy, and meat rich diet full of nutrients and good, healthy fats. I am slightly fearful for the next generation, who is certainly going to be more disease ridden than even today's unhealthy population, do to the terrible diet that most kids have. I just don't understand how parents could allow their children, even teens, to regularly have poptarts and energy drinks for breakfast, and fast food for dinner, liters of soda in the fridge at all times, etc. My parents keep all sorts of junk in the house. I wish today was like the 50's, when most people didn't keep soda in the house, and things like poptarts were OCCASIONAL TREATS, and not dietary staples.

I hate how many adults think it's ok for kids and teens to have terrible diets, because they're young and 'can handle it', but it's the most important time for nutrition. I imagine many of my classmates are going to be dealing with diseases like heart disease and osteoporosis sooner than they think...
                        Remember, you are unique just like everybody else.

Comment

Originally posted by NutMeg View Post
                          How so? Because you look too good no one wants to hang out with you?
                          Oh! I hadn't thought of that. Yeah... that's why...

Seriously though, there seem to be two ways that you can lose friends by adopting this way of life. The first way is friends who get mad at you for being different and eating contrary to what they've been told is healthy. They call you stupid, and generally get very defensive. This is when you find out that you were friends with retards, and it's not so bad to let them go. The other way is friends who kind of accept what you're doing but continue to eat out a lot at crappy restaurants and center most of their social lives around crappy food, so you hang out less and less.
                          You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

Originally posted by Lloytizzle View Post
                            Most people doing primal, do end up with some nutrient deficiencies - NOT because of primal persay but because most people aren't eating "truly" primal.

For example, if we're not eating whole animal, we'll end up short in some fatty acids, zinc, copper, B vites.
                            If we're not eating seafood: magnesium, selenium
                            If we're not eating red meat: iron
                            If we're not eating grassfed meat: too much fat overall, too little CLA...ratios of Ω3:Ω6 can be off
                            Not enough produce: not enough mg, C and a few other things.

So if we really do eat primally - ie the variety of foods that would have been available in the environment of evolutionary adaptation, we'll be fine. In fact we'll be GREAT - thriving on the nutrients of our evolutionary past.

But like most modern 'diets' primal will not be done optimally and may need some supplementation here and there.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Comment

if you ate only muscle meat and fat I think you'd get some deficiencies.
                              if you got no sun I think you'd likely be vitamin D deficient.

Comment

Working...
                              X