IF and headache

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IF and headache

I'm doing a long IF today - plan to break it after 22 hours and I'm about 20 hours into the fast. I've been having a headache, progressively increasing in intensity, which I'm assuming is because of the fast. Any idea how to get rid of it? I'm drinking water to make sure I'm not dehydrated. I'm not hungry.

This is my first 22 hour fast. The longest I've done before is a 20-hour fast once.

maba,

I have no idea if this theory is correct. But I bet it's something to do with low blood sugar.

I bet your body isn't used to having to create its own glucose(sugar) from your protein. (That's called gluconeogenesis.)

I sometimes get a really bad headache after a crazy intense Crossfit workout.

My *theory* is that I just blasted my body so hard, and sucked up all my glucose (and probably oxygen) and it takes awhile to recover.

I think you may just have to power through it, and the next IF may be easier as your body adapts.

Again, I'm totally guessing here, if anyone has any other ideas I'd love to hear 'em.

-Sean

www.SeanBissell.com

Comment

Thanks Sean! Atleast I don't have the constant need to snack on something unlike last time I IFed. Headache w/ no cravings is not bad for a second 20hr IF. I'm close to 21 hours of IFing and feel really happy about it.

Comment

Awesome job maba!

You're almost there!

I did my first 23-24 hour fast last Saturday, and it was kinda tough

I think I'm going to do another one on Friday.

Saves on the grocery bill for sure

-Sean

www.SeanBissell.com

Comment

Kudos, maba!

Sorry about the headache, though. Do you normally drink coffee every day? Did you stop for the IF?

Might also be a little bit of caffiene withdrawal, if so. Maybe a cup of black tea?

Comment

kuno1chi,

Good call.

I'm a big caffeine addict. I had to make myself a few cups of tea while on my last IF to survive easier

-Sean

www.SeanBissell.com

Comment

Thanks, Sean <3

Comment

Not really. I used to drink 1C of coffee w/ milk per day before going Primal but these days I treat myself to it usually on weekends. But I&#39;ve started drinking more of Green Tea, so it might be caffeine-withdrawal after all. I was planning to break the fast with a hot cup of coffee anyway.

Comment

That sounds delicious, maba!

Maybe a little coconut cream in it?

Comment

Darn, I forgot the CM, had it w/ milk. But I&#39;m planning to make CM Thai chicken soup for dinner.

I&#39;m feeing so much better after the coffee. Towards the end of the IF, I felt nauseous. Strangely, I didn&#39;t feel hungry.

Comment

You made it!

YAY for you...and dinner is going to taste oh so good.

:-D

Comment

I used to fast 3-4 days without even water to drink

Nothing special

I will be normal. I will be NORMAL again
                        Yeah!

Comment

??? I can&#39;t tell if that was a joke or not, it&#39;s not possible to survive 3 or 4 days without any water. That&#39;s how people die getting lost on hiking trails in the desert after like 48 hours.

Awesome job maba! I&#39;ve done 16 and 18 hours, but not longer than that yet. Did your headache go away after the coffee?

You are what you eat,
                          and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

Comment

Kuno, the soup turned out pretty good, will post the recipe.

Wow Ethanol, that&#39;s impressive!

Hannah, yeah it went away soon after I had the coffee and some roasted chicken.

I should do this more often, I feel more active than usual and my appetite much less than usual.

Comment

I thought the headache would go away. I&#39;m IFing today and I&#39;m experiencing headache again. I had green tea but to no avail. I feel good after an IF but I only wish I could do away with this darned headache.

Comment

Working...
                              X