No announcement yet.

IF and headache

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maba, it's uncomfortable, but in my experience, it's likely toxins surfacing.

Usually, when detoxing (which is what your body does when it's healing during a fasting cycle), your 'symptoms' will increase.

This usually makes people 'give up' or say "It's not working" when fasting for health, when in reality, it's working just perfectly.

You will notice that it will diminish more and more with each new fast, but for now, it does stink!

Stick to your guns, stay away from caffeinated beverages and make sure that your 'eliminations' are ample (ie, take senna tea if you are not going #2). This helps flush the 'by-products' of the waste material that is being dumped by your cells at a rate that is faster than your body is able to comfortably handle right now.

Don't worry, It's all downhill from here ;-)

Comment

Thanks Sassa! I was beginning to wonder if IF doesn't work for me. I had my dinner and a big piece of 85% chocolate for the caffeine as I didn't want to drink coffee but my headache is still there. I'm resisting taking a tylenol. Maybe I'll apply some head-ache balm. I will look for Senna Tea.

Comment

@maba - I'm just wondering if the headache got any better? I just did an IF yesterday (from lunch to this AM breakfast - this is my second IF ever.. and I have the most pounding headache...excactly like the one you described. My 1st IF was just like yours, lots of cravings...this time I had no problem w/ cravings, but ow...the head! It's definitely not caffeine for me since I got my usual coffee this AM (and don't drink any in the afternoons).

Comment

Nina, I'm quasi-IFing today. I had a tender coconut this morning and a cup of coffee w/ milk around noon. I'm feeling good today, no headaches so far. It's been 18 hours.

Apparently, having a headache on IF is a sign of the body detoxing. Also, make sure you are hydrated. Dehydration can cause headaches too.

I have to go on a "real" IF, ie no coffee or milk, to see if the headaches are really at bay.

Comment

@maba - thanks. I'm going to try IF again next week sometime. Hopefully it's a detox thing for me too. My headache is nasty at the moment

Comment

I IFed last week for 20 hour and felt really good after that, had absolutely no headache. Yesterday. OTOH, I started having headaches after about 18 hours. I thought the headaches would go away after a few IFs, but doesn't look like it. Does your last meal before the IF have anything to do with it? My last meal was quite carby - lots of veggies. I would like to do this more often as I feel really energetic the day after the IF but I don't like the headaches that accompany the IFs.

Comment

@maba - interesting you should bring this topic up again. I've done two more IF's since my last post and I got headaches both times (my last one this AM...the headache started an hour before I broke fast). The headache's have gotten a little better, but they're still there. I haven't paid attention to what I eat before I IF so I'll start doing that. I've seen several people mention on the forum that a high-fat meal is best before the IF, so maybe that's the key? I really like the effect these IF's have on my weight, but I hate the headaches.

Comment

Nina, I must confess my fat intake has been on the lower side off late - I'd run out of butter and CO, quelle horreur! But I got some y'day, so hopefully I'll start eating more fats. Also, having herbal/green tea seems to help a bit, but y'day I wanted to go w/o any tea. These IFs seem to have no effect on my weight but I feel all pumped up and energetic the following day. Although, I've been nibbling on and off today, SO NOT primal, must be the low amount of fat I ate at dinner last night (ate out). I hope your headaches get better. I'll experiment w/ more fat and update you on how I feel.

Comment

Maba - I think I'll do the same (experiment w/ more fat prior to IF) and see if that helps...will let you know too & we can exchange notes. My next IF is probably next Monday.

Hopefully you won't have to go through the horror of running out of fat in the house again

Comment

Nina, I did a 23 hour IF today, no headaches at all. I did weights at 21 hours and felt really great. Decided to make tonight my 20% (goat + rice) and I'm feeling a bit bloated now but it was oh-so-good. So, I had lots of nuts, CO and cheese last night and I felt good all day but I was thinking of food most of the time probably because everyone around me was eating/offering me stuff or may be because it's that time of the month.

Comment

Maba - awesome! OK...so my next fast I'm loading up on fats before the start. Thanks for sharing the results!

Comment

I never did feel much headache during my IFs. I do sometimes feel dizzy after getting up, but it is mostly due to my low BP.

IF is generally better after a high fat meal. It primes the body to survive on fat.

Comment

Maba - well, turns out I did an "accidental" mini-IF yesterday. No plans at all to do it...just happened that I was working real late, got busy and only had time for a piece of cheese for dinner. My last meal before the mini-IF was fairly high-fat and I DIDN'T have any headache this morning. It wasn't a strict IF (because of the cheese), but I'm really happy about the outcome. So, maybe high-fat is the answer here.

Arnand - Thanks for sharing. I do also sometimes get dizzy (I've always had very low BP...I'm generally around 90/60, 90/50 or so for resting BP). I think fat IS the answer!

Comment

Nina, Glad to know you didn't have any headache. I'm tempted to do a longer one now. But I've been nibbling all of today because of the carb-overload last night, have this constant feeling of wanting to munch on something all the time. Btw, I'm a low-BPer too, my numbers are very similar to yours

Comment

Maba - I'm with you on the nibbling too! I had a piece of spouted bread this AM w/ my eggs & bacon. Not something I do very often, but every now and then when I get a real hankering for it. And...I've been having the munchies ever since. Argh! Just loaded up on fats for lunch...salad w/ bison burger, bacon drippings, nuts and avocado. So, hoping that will quench my munchies.

Comment

Working...
                                X