hunting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hunting

So i am going out for deer season, this is the first year as a PB'er, what organ meats should I attempt to salvage and how should I prepare them? I have never dealt with organs in a way of intending to eat.

Organ meats can't be saved for later. You have to eat them where the deer falls. Pics.
    Started my journey on May 22, 2010:

Beginning weight ~180
    Current weight ~145

Nov. 9, 2009........Nov. 9, 2010.....Jun. 17, 2011
    LDL 155...............LDL 176............LDL 139
    HDL 39................HDL 66..............HDL 95
    TGL 154..............TGL 77..............TGL 49

Comment

Wow, no one called me out on that? lol

Coincidentally, I harvested a deer tonight. I kept the heart and liver. They're in the freezer now.

Beginning weight ~180
      Current weight ~145

Comment

I was just gonna call you out on that- LOL!

Liver, heart and tongue are my favorites. I have recipes also for brains. Depending on where you live and how disease-free the deer population is (or isn't) you may not want the liver/brains.

Comment

I don't have stats for diseases in central SC and NC, but I generally freeze the meat/organs and not use them before at least two weeks have passed.

Beginning weight ~180
          Current weight ~145

Comment

Here is a map with Chronic Wasting Disease distribtuion:

http://www.cwd-info.org/index.php/fuseaction/about.map

I don't think freezing will kill prions - so if you are worried about them, best to avoid brain, spinal cord, tonsils, and lymphatic tissue. Same website has info about how to avoid if you are interested.
            Last edited by jammies; 11-12-2010, 07:43 PM.
            Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

I do the freezing method with my other meats that are prone to rabies (especially coyote, fox and raccoon.) I give it 2 months in the freeze, but those things get cooked well anyways. Better safe than sorry. Deer, however, is much safer. One of my favorite pleasures is raw deer meat, but even that gets frozen first.

Comment

Generally you can save the heart, liver, kidneys, tongue and brains (as long as chronic wasting isn't an issue where you are hunting). If you plan on making sausages you may want to save some small intestine to use for casings! Also if you get a buck you can save the 'rocky mountain oysters!"

Comment

Don't have much to add that hasn't been said already, but "rocky mtn oysters", no thanks, tried once, NEVER again!
                  You'll never see the light if you're in someone else's shadow, or said another way, life is like a dog sled team, if you're not the lead dog, the scenery never changes

Comment

Originally posted by Mainer View Post
                    Don't have much to add that hasn't been said already, but "rocky mtn oysters", no thanks, tried once, NEVER again!
                    I'll admit that while I went ahead and saved the heart, liver and kidneys /I/ didn't save the oysters either. Or the tongue (cause it's damn hard to get out!)

Comment

Originally posted by jammies View Post
                      I don't think freezing will kill prions - so if you are worried about them, best to avoid brain, spinal cord, tonsils, and lymphatic tissue.
                      But I love deer tonsils
                      You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

Originally posted by kcult View Post
                        Organ meats can't be saved for later. You have to eat them where the deer falls. Pics.
                        +1
                        my primal journal:
                        http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...Primal-Journal

Comment

gotta remember to read my own posts

I failed to read the info shared here before venturing out into the woods and after getting a buck with a neck shot and leaving all the organs in tact, i chickened out when dressing it and didn't save anything. Well, since i have another trip out coming up maybe I'll have another chance to try this...it is definitely interesting and i guess the next logical step in my PB journey.

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
                            But I love deer tonsils
                            Man - you crack me up! But seriously, in this group, I couldn't be sure about tonsil consumption
                            Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

Working...
                            X