Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Magnesium - How much?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Magnesium - How much?

    Does anyone know how much magnesium I need for my 12-year-old, 90lb. son?

  • #2
    The US government says 240mg:
    http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/magnesium/
    (Scroll down to table 2.)

    I was just working my way through nutritiondata looking for magnesium-rich primal foods. The best by weight seem to be nuts & seeds - which is quite handy, as they can be ground & added to all sorts of things, sweet and savoury. Pumpkin seeds came out top (and toasted pumpkin seeds are really moreish), followed by flaxseed, brazil nuts, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, almonds, pine nuts, etc.

    Comment


    • #3
      Thanks, Hilary! The supplement that I have says 250mgs is 60% of the RDA. I always assume that the RDA is lower than what is really needed.

      Comment


      • #4
        Here is a detailed site about magnesium:

        Linus Pauling Micronutrient Information Center
        http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocente...als/magnesium/

        Fyi, it shows the tolerable upper limit of daily magnesium intake for a 12-year-old to be 350 mg. Also, it shows a list of the Mg content of various foods.

        Comment


        • #5
          Perfect. Thanks!

          Comment


          • #6
            I recently found out that my magnesium supplement was pretty much useless. If it is Magnesium Oxide I have heard that it wont be absorbed very well. Cillikat has tons of information on magnesium if you are looking for more.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Barefoot Paul View Post
              I recently found out that my magnesium supplement was pretty much useless. If it is Magnesium Oxide I have heard that it wont be absorbed very well. Cillikat has tons of information on magnesium if you are looking for more.
              +1 If its magnesium oxide get rid of it as it literally passes right through you.

              I take 350g or so daily and im 23 weighing 90kg. Anymore and well, ask anyone who takes too much magnesium what happens haha. 250g should be plenty for the young lad.
              - Follow me on Twitter | Read my blog! - www.PaleOZ.com -

              Free Robb Wolf Paleo Meal Generator for iPhone
              IF Timer - The Original Intermittent Fasting iPhone App

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by JenCat View Post
                Does anyone know how much magnesium I need for my 12-year-old, 90lb. son?
                An anxious 12 yo 90 lber needs a lot of magnesium. At least 400mg and maybe more. See my magnesium links/docs

                Originally posted by Hilary View Post
                The US government says 240mg:
                http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/magnesium/
                tooooo low. Any 12 yo needs and adult dose. d*mn guv-er-met peepl. lol

                I was just working my way through nutritiondata looking for magnesium-rich primal foods. The best by weight seem to be nuts & seeds - which is quite handy, as they can be ground & added to all sorts of things, sweet and savoury. Pumpkin seeds came out top (and toasted pumpkin seeds are really moreish), followed by flaxseed, brazil nuts, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, almonds, pine nuts, etc.
                There is that tricky issue of the phytates though that decrease absorption significantly....and the Ω6s that knock that ratio off balance.

                Seafood really is the best source in terms of usability/absorption/assimilation....aside from supplements.



                iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by paleo_rob View Post
                  +1 If its magnesium oxide get rid of it as it literally passes right through you.

                  I take 350g or so daily and im 23 weighing 90kg. Anymore and well, ask anyone who takes too much magnesium what happens haha. 250g should be plenty for the young lad.
                  Crap. The stuff I just bought has magnesium oxide as the first ingredient. It lists magnesium stearate as the last ingredient. I do have some calcium with magnesium citrate (50mg) and have been giving him that 3x/day.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    @JenCat

                    Have a look at NaturalCalm. Its a Magnesium Citrate powder. Its the stuff I use, and it's great for settling down before bed!
                    - Follow me on Twitter | Read my blog! - www.PaleOZ.com -

                    Free Robb Wolf Paleo Meal Generator for iPhone
                    IF Timer - The Original Intermittent Fasting iPhone App

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by JenCat View Post
                      Crap. The stuff I just bought has magnesium oxide as the first ingredient. It lists magnesium stearate as the last ingredient. I do have some calcium with magnesium citrate (50mg) and have been giving him that 3x/day.
                      I'd really recommend against giving 'extra' calcium if he's getting any dairy. Remember that calcium is a contractor, magnesium is a 'relaxer' and they sort of compete along various pathways. Certainly we need both, but what's missing in most diets is magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker.

                      Originally posted by paleo_rob View Post
                      @JenCat

                      Have a look at NaturalCalm. Its a Magnesium Citrate powder. Its the stuff I use, and it's great for settling down before bed!
                      Mg Citrate is definitely the way to go **if you can tolerate it**. If I had to venture a guess, I'd say that almost 50% can't tolerate it at the doses they need - and intestinal symptoms/loose stools does not indicate 'sufficiency' it just indicates a sensitivity to that form of mg.

                      I can't tolerate any citrate - or even glycinate (which is an amino acid chelate). I use Jigsaw Health's Magnesium which is a time released form of magnesium malate (ie magnesium dimalate). If I could tolerate anything cheaper (1, citrate or 2, glycinate), I wouldn't be spending on the Jigsaw.

                      Today I started having some hellish menstrual cramps.....took 2 of the Jigsaw mg dimalate. Cramps diminished by were still present. A couple hours later I took two more....and had complete cramp relief. And I was pretty damn relaxed when I had to intro a speaker today at T1s school - amazing for me as a former sufferer of true panic attacks with an absolute phobia of public speaking.



                      iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by cillakat View Post
                        I'd really recommend against giving 'extra' calcium if he's getting any dairy. Remember that calcium is a contractor, magnesium is a 'relaxer' and they sort of compete along various pathways. Certainly we need both, but what's missing in most diets is magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker..
                        He eats cheese; well, not real cheese - Kraft. Does that count? I will look for another form. Thanks for the info!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by JenCat View Post
                          He eats cheese; well, not real cheese - Kraft. Does that count? I will look for another form. Thanks for the info!
                          Yes, the kraft counts.


                          K



                          iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Katherine, your knowledge astounds me!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              On the one hand, I know the RDA is generally the minimum to avoid known deficiency diseases, and says nothing at all about unknown deficiency diseases, forget about optimal health.

                              On the other hand, there is such a thing as overdose. That government factsheet I linked to actually has a section on this. I wish they actually said how much caused the list of scary symptoms (very low blood pressure, irregular heartbeat, difficulty breathing...), but they do suggest a safe maximum for supplementation of 350mg. Not that you have to take their word for it, but maybe research toxicity levels a whole lot before going over that?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X