Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What can I say to inform people why I don't eat gluten?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What can I say to inform people why I don't eat gluten?

All of the information that denounces gluten that I have researched on the internet is long-winded and extremely, biologically technical. My verbal communication skills are unexceptional, so when people ask me why I don't eat gluten, I cannot muster much other than "It's bad for you." As for why, I could only reference them to a website, but not actually be able to accurately explain it myself.

Is there a concise bit of information that I can divulge to people that I want to encourage to go gluten-free or to explain why I don't eat gluten, or should I just take lots of notes and practice a script?

I have the same predicament too. You could tell them you're intolerant of gluten. If they ask you why you don't eat grains, you could tell them you have blood glucose issues if you don't want to go into all the details.

Comment

"I don't consider X a food, but rather a neolithic agent of disease."

Comment

Well, maba, that could work to make them stop pestering me, but I would be more than happy to help inform them why I made the choice to go gluten-free so they can consider the choice for themselves.

That's a good one, frogfarm; though, other than gluten-intolerance, I don't know what I'd say if they asked, "Like what?!"

I wonder if someone could direct me to an article that describes what happens when someone consumes gluten in layman terms?

Comment

My script is similar to this...

Dementia, heart disease and cancer all run in my family and in all my research this is the only way I've found to reasonably reduce that risk.

Harder to attack you on those points...

www.SeanBissell.com

Comment

You don't need to preach or convert, just tell them you have celiac disease.

End of story. If you want to play nutritional evangelist, just like the religious ones, they probably don't want to hear about it. Nor should they have to.

Comment

Sean,

In my experience, that is how the trouble starts. Mention heart disease and meat eating and the saturated fat arguments come out.

It's grandma, but you can call me sir.

Comment

Grains evolved to distribute their seeds on the wind, not via animals eating them (as fruits evolved for) and distributing them elsewhere. Neglecting the fact that it's very difficult for a human in the wild to obtain adequate calories from wild unharvested grains, grains have essentially evolved into a package of animal-targeted pesticides. (there's your concise bit)

They have amylase inhibitors to keep you from breaking down the starch.

They have protease inhibitors to keep you from breaking down their protein for dietary reasons, but also so that the lectins (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lectin) and gliadins (including gluten, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gliadin) can make it into your bloodstream intact (human digestive systems generally have a healthy policy of only absorbing proteins after their disassembly into amino acids -- this prevents things like mad cow and horrible allergic reactions, which is what coeliac basically is -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-gliadin_antibodies).

Once they're in your bloodstream, proteins like wheat germ agglutinin screw up your metabolism by binding readily to all kinds of hormone receptors (most notably leptin and insulin), and even crossing the blood brain barrier. WGA isn't even animal specific, it kills fungus that attacks wheat too: http://www.jstor.org/pss/1609769

Oh, you DIDN'T want long winded and technical. Damnit.

Just tell them that wheat is like Terro ant poison, but for humans -- the ants think it's just tasty syrup, but it's laced with borax and kills them.

Comment

Nick,

Maybe the short answer is, by design (or natural selection) grains are indigestible.

I was googling around this topic (indigestible grains) and found a article that studied the effectiveness of reestablishing pasture land by allowing cows to feed on grass which had gone to seed and then putting them on the land to be replanted. Apparently it is pretty effective and inexpensive.

It's grandma, but you can call me sir.

Comment

[quote]

I would be more than happy to help inform them why I made the choice to go gluten-free so they can consider the choice for themselves.</blockquote>

You could simply state that your well-being has improved 1000% since giving it the boot, so you have zero interest in reintroducing the miscreant into your diet.

That will plant the seed of doubt (about consuming gluten) without your needing to preach. The masses always want to know some "secret" to more energy and feeling better (because CW sure isn&#39;t working).

If they are curious, they&#39;ll start asking you questions and/or will hit the internet. You could probably say a lot about your personal improvements spontaneously, vs. trying to respond with memorized scientific data.

Comment

I just say I&#39;m allergic to wheat and gluten. If they ask for details, I go into great detail about my now-nonexistent IBS.

Then, if they still seem receptive after that, I drop the "and grains are bad for everyone" bomb and refer them to MDA and Protein Power.

Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Comment

I like Hello Kitty&#39;s approach--just let them know you feel good when you don&#39;t eat it, and you suffer when you do it eat it. If you want to take it any further, just say that you&#39;ve found the same is true for many people.

Comment

I tell them I can&#39;t eat it because it makes my joints hurt (which it does).

Comment

I agree with on the bayou I say I have celiacs , but in my case it is the truth lol

I just know that I am the one in charge of what goes into my body! and that is all there is to it! xoxo Darlene

Comment

Lots of good info here, and grandma you&#39;re right about the saturated fat issue

Saturated fat can be pretty easy argument to get across the facts though.

Here&#39;s what I usually use: Saturated fats increase both HDL (The "good" stuff) and LDL (the "bad" stuff), so it kind of just evens out. So it does increase cholesterol, but cholesterol is important for many functions in your body.

I don&#39;t know... that sometimes opens up another can of worms anyway. But what can ya do?

=============================

In regards to wheat though

=============================

In the past I&#39;ve usually gone the route of my personal experiences of how I was introduced to the idea.

Basically:

-I joined Crossfit

-Crossfit kicked my buttocks SO hard it freaked me out

-I found out that the people who did really well at Crossfit usually follow the "Paleo" diet.

-I don&#39;t like to follow diets blindly, so I did some research.

-I found out that Grains are a huge limiting factor in many peoples overall health and fitness.

-I cut out grains myself.

-I do better in Crossfit now (and don&#39;t always feel like I&#39;m going to die.)

So if I eat your awesome grain laden foods, then there&#39;s a chance I&#39;ll feel horrible on my next workout, and that&#39;s actually scary to me because Crossfit is so crazy intense.

But that usually leads to the convo of "That&#39;s interesting, so why are grains so bad then."

My usual *quick* response is that grains contain things that block nutrients from absorbing, and they strip your mucus lining of your gut. That can let the bad stuff in wheat and other things to get into your bloodstream and cause all sorts of bad things to happen.

If they want more info... then you&#39;ll just have to keep talking.

But if you keep it really high level (Like lots of people said here.)

Basically:

-I feel/perform better without grains

-Grains are bad because they block nutrients, damage your intestines & get into your bloodstream...

Long answer, but.. I don&#39;t think there&#39;s a short one.

Good luck

-Sean

www.SeanBissell.com

Comment

Working...
                              X