Eating Apple Seeds - Good or Bad?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eating Apple Seeds - Good or Bad?

Lately I've been consuming the entire apple whenever I eat one. Usually twice a day. Including the core and seeds.

My thinking was that Grok wouldn't let anything go to waste so I eat it all down. Plus, I actually think they taste pretty good.

I did a search to find out some info on eating apple seeds. I found some conflicting ideas. Some people talk about additional nutrients inside the seeds. Others about enzyme blockers and lectins. There's even talk about cyanide poisoning!

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

You should poop outside and see if a tree grows.

Comment

Someone can probably answer this a little better, but i might avoid eating two apples a day. That is a lot of sugar.
      Family Living Simple blog

Facebook

Twitter @Famlivingsimple

Comment

I have heard that the seeds are poisonous in large quantities, but I don't know how large is large.

Comment

Don't worry too much about the seeds, you'd need to eat just the seeds of over 20 apples at once to have anything particularly negative happen.
          Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
          My Latest Journal

Comment

I always eat the whole apple, core and all. Same for pears, and all fruits and vegetables I can actually.

Comment

Didn't your big brother ever tell you that now an apple tree is gonna grow in your stomach?!

Comment

What about kiwi skin?. My kids love eating the whole fruit with the fuzzy skin. This is probably okay, right? They also eat apple cores and they're just fine.

Comment

Yup, kiwi skins are ok. I eat them too, along with pear cores. Apples, not so much. Too tough for my liking.
                  Last edited by Diana Renata; 11-08-2010, 07:14 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Apple seeds do have trace elements of cyanide.

Comment

Originally posted by Diana Renata View Post
                      Yup, kiwi skins are ok. I eat them too, along with pear cores. Apples, not so much. Too tough for my liking.
                      Cool, good to know I'm not slowly poisoning them. They freak if I cut the fuzz off, lol

Comment

I've always eaten apple cores and seeds - I like them. yes they do contain cyanide but in levels that would not harm us! I always forget to eat kiwi fruit skins but one of my friends does. I would wash them though as with all fruit. My kids love mango skins, but I only buy them occasionally as they don't grow in NZ and are what I would term 'luxury fruit'.

Comment

I did hear that eating lemon pips helps get rid of parasites. If you've every accidently crunched one up they taste pretty bad. I wonder if they also have cyanide this gets the parasites?

Comment

Originally posted by K.ROB View Post
                            Someone can probably answer this a little better, but i might avoid eating two apples a day. That is a lot of sugar.
                            It looks like Granny Smiths have about 22g of sugar each. I'm not looking to lose weight otherwise I might agree. I'll usually have one in the morning and one in the late afternoon. But I need some carbs for my workouts so I add apples and other fruits throughout the day.

Originally posted by naiadknight View Post
                            Don't worry too much about the seeds, you'd need to eat just the seeds of over 20 apples at once to have anything particularly negative happen.
                            That's what I heard, too. It's really only a few seeds at a time.

But from an evolutionary standpoint (more so for the apple tree), are we supposed to eat the seeds? Perhaps swallow them but don't chew them? I'm just curious if they are like grains by having anti-nutrients in them to discourage consumption.

Comment

That's an interesting question. From an evolutionary standpoint, it doesn't make sense for Grok to have tossed the core and seeds. But then again did he really eat that many apples anyway? So he wouldn't have had any environmental pressure to evolve ways to deal with the negative effects of eating the seeds.

Comment

Working...
                              X