Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Going hard core 1 month - what should I test?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going hard core 1 month - what should I test?

I've been doing roughly paleo for a while, meaning some cheese and some transgressions. But a couple of weeks ago I decided to try hard core: no deviations as much as humanly possible, meaning no nightshades either. Bye bye tomatoes and salsa.

I want to give it a month and then test, e.g., blood tests, etc.

What, exactly, should I ask my doctor to have tested?

No responses yet. Does anyone know what tests to have done and can anyone explain what they are and what results mean? I have a friend who says he'll do this diet if I get my cholesterol checked, and then he smirked.

Comment

Yup. Cholesterol, crp, blood sugar. Vitamin d level.

Comment

Awesome! I'm just starting a clean-up month, too. I'm keeping the nightshades, though.

I agree with cholesterol (not because it's necessarily relevant to heart disease, etc, but because it's handy for showing to people who think you're going to die of eating paleo!) and fasting blood glucose for sure. Vitamin D would be interesting.

Is there a way to test for O-6/O-3 balance? That would be a cool one to watch.
        Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Comment

Nightshades

I wonder what tests would show the effect of nightshades.

Comment

Originally posted by tf View Post
            I wonder what tests would show the effect of nightshades.
            C reactive protein

Comment

Originally posted by Lojasmo View Post
              C reactive protein
              Maybe CRP would change, but I will say that my CRP and ESR do not in any way seem to be impacted by inflammation. Even when I was so inflamed that I had to have fluid pulled of my joints with a syringe to keep the ligaments from rupturing, my CRP and ESR were normal. Sometimes, you just need to go with how you feel.
              Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

If you are concerned about inflammation (and the fact that you're not doing nightshades and dairy makes me think you might), then get a C-reactive protein. It's the main inflammatory marker. As a matter of fact, I am going to get mine tested tomorrow morning.

If you think you might be prediabetic/are having issues with hypoglycemia, get a fasting blood sugar and a hemoglobin A1c.

A cortisol test. (I am not sure exactly what this test is called).

25(OH)D -- vitamin D test.
                "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Comment

Results ...

Note: I deviated from hard core because of my kid's birthday. So piece of chocolate cake and also some wine. I am human. But I eat lots of eggs and red meat, including bacon, cow steak, bison steak, etc.

Results:
                  Cholesterol: 205
                  HDL: 65
                  LDL: 123
                  Trig: 85
                  Fasting glucose: 97
                  A1C: 5.5
                  Vitamin D: low: 32 (I think - didn't write down)

SO?

Comment

what were your numbers before?

Comment

Originally posted by MarkP View Post
                      what were your numbers before?
                      Did not test before, but years ago I recall having a 231 cholesterol. So that improved.

Comment

I've read somewheres that it's not reasonable to expect cholesterol markers to improve over a month, because the addition of sat fat to diet temporarily increases LDL and HDL production takes longer to ramp up. Also that the weight loss process (1-2 lb per week) temporarily raises cholesterol. I don't know how true any of that is, but it does seem reasonable to adopt a longer time frame if lab results are going to be your measuring stick.
                        If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Comment

The 231 was years ago. But I am losing weight. I am retesting in 3 months. That said, the doctor was happy with the numbers. But I'm interested in reactions from here.

Comment

Fasting blood sugar and HbA1c are okay -- almost identical to mine -- could be a touch lower but certainly within the normal range as-is. That HbA1c is an aggregate of your blood sugars (very unscientific explanation!) over 120 days, so that tells me that even before you went primal 30 days ago, you were OK in this regard and not in the danger zone.

**Vitamin D is low! You need to be at least at 50, and preferably even higher. I am striving for 60, minimum.

I don't know about the cholesterol numbers -- ask Griff. I know being Primal causes whacky misreads, so I don't even bother to even look at those anymore.

Did you get a CRP? Mine was slightly elevated. As a result, I'm now off the nightshades and am upping the anti-inflammatory foods and spices (blueberries, cherries, turmeric). Will test again in three months.
                            "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Comment

Originally posted by TigerLily View Post

Did you get a CRP? Mine was slightly elevated. As a result, I'm now off the nightshades and am upping the anti-inflammatory foods and spices (blueberries, cherries, turmeric). Will test again in three months.
                              TigerLily - although blueberries and ground cherries are not technically nightshades, they do contain a fair amount of solanine. Solanine is the compound considered to cause inflammation in nightshade sensitive individuals. So you may want to note how you how feeling if eating a lot of blueberries.
                              Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

Working...
                              X