"Coming Out Of The Cave" ... and IFing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Coming Out Of The Cave" ... and IFing

I've thought about the gay people and their whole "coming out of the closet" thing and i've decided we all need to come out of our caves as primals. Well i've been coming out of the cave to my co-workers and family over the last few months, explaining how I lost over 70 lbs.

Well at work my co-workers have been decently okay with the idea. They don't see it as healthy... but whatever, basically.

But today the kicker came. I admited to 24-hour long fasts once a week. Oh boy. BIG TIME reaction to that. Apparently it's unhealthy, will kill me, deplete my muscles, leave me without any energy and I should apparently know that humans are just plain not made to go without food for that long.

::facepalm::
    March 1st 2010: 308lbs | CW: 219lbs / 18.5%BF | New Goal: 16% BF
    Male. 28. 6'4''. Currently working on them muscles and strength!

"My chest hair caught fire when I was fighting a bear with a flamethrower, how do I get my hair back? - Rivvin

I don't talk about IFing all that much around most people and if I do I mostly only talk about the leangains style 16 hour fasts. 24 to 48 hours of fasting is more than most people can wrap their heads around so, I don't even bother.
    http://www.facebook.com/daemonized

Comment

::shutters::

I just heard someone say "well you know, they say you should have a little milk chocolate every day too"....

"My chest hair caught fire when I was fighting a bear with a flamethrower, how do I get my hair back? - Rivvin

Comment

I have talked to my coworkers about IF. I was asked if I have an eating disorder. I have decided that I simply can't tell people about it.

Comment

I assume it's because ultimately they can't stomach (har har) the idea that you actually do this week after week and _don't_ experience a massive energy loss, crash, whatever.

Logically, if that were actually happening to you, you'd know it -- it wouldn't take a coworker pointing it out to you verbally, heh...

If you're feeling argumentative, ask "Huh, so if it has such a clear-cut effect on my energy level... which day of the week do YOU think I fast?" and of course they'll be wrong.

I mean I'm sure IFs are not for everyone but if you can handle it, you know that from experience.
          "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

Comment

If you IF and you're a woman, you have an eating disorder. :rolls eyes: I don't usually mention it or I dont' refer to it as fasting. I'm hungry about twice a day and that's when I eat. I don't try to IF, it just happens.
            Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

Comment

Originally posted by Jenny View Post
              I assume it's because ultimately they can't stomach (har har) the idea that you actually do this week after week and _don't_ experience a massive energy loss, crash, whatever.

Logically, if that were actually happening to you, you'd know it -- it wouldn't take a coworker pointing it out to you verbally, heh...

If you're feeling argumentative, ask "Huh, so if it has such a clear-cut effect on my energy level... which day of the week do YOU think I fast?" and of course they'll be wrong.

I mean I'm sure IFs are not for everyone but if you can handle it, you know that from experience.
              A+

Comment

I only tell my gf about IF's, everybody else would worry needlessly.

If I do have a conversation about fasting and the “your muscles will waste away/you will die/starvation mode/etc” I put forth the “big cat argument” as I call it and just say something along the lines of how lions/cheetahs/leopards/tigers/etc are typically only successful in their hunts 1 out of 5 times, and usually only eat once a day if that hunt is successful if not they have to wait for the next day. Then I ask, have you ever seen a decrepit lion, or an emo lion that gets picked on by other lions for being frail and listening to Dashboard Confessional? Then I tell them our digestive systems are close to that of big cats (is it? I actually have no idea but since we’re all pretty damn ignorant about our digestive systems nobody usually refutes this… but I vaguely remember reading something like it in The Vegetarian Myth) and that we had long periods of food-less-ness as part of our evolution and we had to have evolved to handle fasts. If we’re really getting into it I tell them about fasted training, I point them to Leangains (especially his latest post about myths surrounding fasting, a MUST read for anybody interested in fasting or worried about fasting) and that’s usually it.

As far as “coming out of the cave” I’m not sure what that means. I’m not about to tell people I’m a caveman… because that’s dumb. I don’t want to appear gimmicky, I guess.
                I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

My family all know that I'm Primal, and they're all usually pretty good about remembering what I can and can't eat. My friends have heard me order at so many restaurants that they could probably order for me if they needed to. Co-workers were all curious when they would see me ignore the cakes, so they all knew the basic idea. Only my husband and 1 coworker (I shared an office with him) knew anything about me IFing. Husband only eats one meal a day, so he didn't care; and coworker/ college cograduate accepted it when I described it as "I see no point in eating if I'm not hungry."
                  Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
                  My Latest Journal

Comment

From what I understand, big cats have a much shorter gi tract than us. However, if you compare us to a gorilla, that eats mostly very high fiber plants, we seem more like the cats.

Comment

Originally posted by Cavebot 3.0 View Post
                      From what I understand, big cats have a much shorter gi tract than us. However, if you compare us to a gorilla, that eats mostly very high fiber plants, we seem more like the cats.
                      Yeah, obviously I never tell them our digestive systems are identical. I remember hearing in a nature show that cats get most if not all of their water/hydrogen from raw meat alone, and don't always go looking for places to drink, they do however find their prey around water since the animals they eat rely on it.

I don't think that's the case with humans, meaning I don't think we can get most of our water needs satisfied through meat alone. That, and I'm sure there's countless other differences both big and small that separate us from big cats... sadly =[ still, the idea of eating/fasting like a lion is cool in my book.
                      I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

I just completed my first 24 hour fast last week. It was not planned at all- ate some delicious brisket at lunch, got home from work and just wasn't hungry that evening. Next morning still wasn't that hungry and decided to see if I could wait till lunch. It felt natural and I'm really proud of myself! I always thought that when/if I fast, it would be a hunger-filled torture session. So glad it wasn't!

My coworkers were SHOCKED! I try not to mention my primal ways that much. CW is so ingrained it's scary. The effort for the argument just isn't worth it to me usually.
                        "It may be normal darling, but I'd rather be natural." -Holly Golightly

Comment

Some things should stay in the cave.
                          Started my journey on May 22, 2010:

Beginning weight ~180
                          Current weight ~145

Nov. 9, 2009........Nov. 9, 2010.....Jun. 17, 2011
                          LDL 155...............LDL 176............LDL 139
                          HDL 39................HDL 66..............HDL 95
                          TGL 154..............TGL 77..............TGL 49

Comment

Originally posted by kcult View Post
                            Some things should stay in the cave.
                            i really gotta agree with this. really, people - these are eating and activity choices, and i don't think have any place being compared to being gay, black, a religion other than christian, or anything else like that. sure, we get flack, but it is absolutely NOT the same kind of 'persecution', and if you feel the need to 'come out of the closet' about being primal, you are taking it waaaaaay too stinkin seriously.

keep it in perspective.
                            sigpic

HANDS OFF MY BACON :: my primal journal

Comment

Originally posted by batty View Post
                              i really gotta agree with this. really, people - these are eating and activity choices, and i don't think have any place being compared to being gay, black, a religion other than christian, or anything else like that. sure, we get flack, but it is absolutely NOT the same kind of 'persecution', and if you feel the need to 'come out of the closet' about being primal, you are taking it waaaaaay too stinkin seriously.

keep it in perspective.
                              I just want to point out that if you are a black, gay tsaoist monk who IF's and eats bacon then please broadcast it to the world proudly.

edit: seriously, i would attend that pride parade

Comment

Working...
                              X