Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Balsamic vinegar has 19 carb grams in 1 TBSP?! Ack!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Balsamic vinegar has 19 carb grams in 1 TBSP?! Ack!!

I was just making my salad dressing and noticed that the vinegar I use has 19 grams of carbs in one TBSP! Ack!! I use 2 Tbsp (at least) on my salads... what vinegar does everyone use for their salads?

Thanks!

Hold up. One tablespoon of regular sugar only has 16 carbs in it, correct? How in the hell could they fit 19 grams into a tablespoon, and with the vinegar and everything?
    Remember, you are unique just like everybody else.

Comment

Dunno... but they did it. Says Balsamic Vinegar of Modena from Italy. Has 19.3g of carbs in 1 Tbsp. Taste SO damn good though! Just had no idea it was so high in carbs... *blush*

Comment

Hold on another sec. My Balsamic and Chron- o-meter both show only 2g carbs. That balsamic you have is breaking laws of physics. 1.93 would be more accurate. Did you miss a decimal point?
        Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
        My Latest Journal

Comment

Yup... 19.3g per Tbsp is what it says. Didn't miss a decimal point... just in case anyone thinks i'm on crack....

Comment

Ok.. so it's just a typo on the label??

Comment

I think so. Go with 2 being normal, 3g being max. I'm guessing they moved the decimal point and it's 1.93g.
              Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
              My Latest Journal

Comment

If it was that much energy per tablespoon, cars would be running on it!

Comment

Originally posted by chronyx View Post
                  If it was that much energy per tablespoon, cars would be running on it!
                  LMAO!!!

Thanks for clearning things up for me... I can now enjoy it again sans heart attack!

Comment

Nope. Calories compute too. Get different balsamic.

Comment

I use apple cider vinegar since finding out that Balsamic has sugar.

Comment

My balsamic vinegar has 10 calories & 2 grams of carbs per tablespoon. Yours has 97 calories in addition to the 19 grams of carbs! Yikes! Why would there be a 10-fold difference??
                        My blog: Pretty Good Paleo
                        On Twitter: @NEKLocalvore

Comment

Originally posted by Beefsister View Post
                          Hold up. One tablespoon of regular sugar only has 16 carbs in it, correct? How in the hell could they fit 19 grams into a tablespoon, and with the vinegar and everything?

Hmm, I'm wondering that too. The balsamic Mum has in the cupboard states: - 1.4g protein, 26.3g carbs - PER 100ml. Primal Babe, are you SURE you're looking at the correct column? I think your bottle has 2 columns for the NI - one per 100ml and the other per 20ml (tablespoon) and you're reading down the 100ml column in error.

Wait, Beefsister's wrong - you could be right (though it does sound a little high). Beefsister, a tablespoon of sugar weighs about 20g so that's 20 carbs.

My Mum's balsamic has 5.3 carbs per tablespoon. I think PB's has 3.8.
                          La tristesse durera toujours...

Comment

My guess is that if it an aged balsamic (a more expensive one), it is more concentrated which is why the carb level is so high. Is it sweet? Some balsamics are much sweeter than others (I find the more expensive the bottle, the sweeter and thicker the vinegar is).

Comment

Primal,

I noticed I was getting quite a bit of sugar with all the Balsamic I was eating on my salads, so have been alternating with red wine and rice wine vinegars.
                              Never hurts to mix things up a bit

Comment

Working...
                              X