Trader Joe's Almond Milk - Pathetic!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trader Joe's Almond Milk - Pathetic!

I am off of dairy for 30 days and bought some Trader Joe's Almond Milk to drink with my coffee. I just checked the label and see that 8 oz. provides one (1) measly gram of protein....not good at all.

Compare that to the 9 grams of protein in a rounded 1/4 cup of almonds (1.2 oz.), "just a handful". I weighed out 1.2 oz. of almonds and counted them - it is 29 almonds. 9 grams/29 = 3.2 almonds/ 1 gram of protein.

Somebody check my logic for me -I think this tells me that 8 ounces of TJs Almond Milk is extracted from 3.2 almonds! No wonder it tastes like water! By comparison, recipes for homemade almond milk call for 4 cups of water to 1 cup of raw almonds, an almond to milk ratio 10 x higher.

Ripoff?

you should try to make some homemade cashew milk and add a vanilla bean (assuming you have a vitamix. or else just vanilla extract). maybe some stevia. super yum! and you don't have to strain cashew milk
    Home birthing legal mama. Unschooler. Jewish Intactivist (step away from the foreskin!). Full-term breastfeeder. Kettlebell padawan.

Comment

Interesting! Thanks for the tip. No straining?

I hear hazelnut milk is nice and creamy also, I've been looking for the nuts locally with no luck.

I just bought a package of ground raw wildcrafted vanilla beans that I am looking forward to trying.

Comment

Nut milks are strained in a way that the oils seep into the water, leaving behind the fiber and protein which are discarded. Its not blended almonds mixed with water, so the macronutrient ratios aren't the same as in whole almonds.

Comment

Originally posted by Pandadude View Post
          Nut milks are strained in a way that the oils seep into the water, leaving behind the fiber and protein which are discarded. Its not blended almonds mixed with water, so the macronutrient ratios aren't the same as in whole almonds.
          True, but I would hope a bit more of the proteins would come through in the milk? I wonder how much is skimping on inputs, vs. losses in processing?

Comment

Why are you trying to get protein from nuts? Nuts have protein, but I pretty much consider them a fat and very much not a source of my protein for the day.

Comment

Hey Pandadude - I make my own almond milk and then use the grindings for granola - not discarding! It's like using the whole buffalo like the native americans did lol!

Anyway, I think the idea is to get a healthy, delicious dairy free substitute, and aside from coconut milk the almond (nut milks) are great. I soak my almonds overnight before making it to remove the enzyme inhibitors. Then strain, separate, make milk and granola. Awsome!

Comment

I've been using Trader Joe's Almond milk for a couple of years since I figured out dairy makes me hurt (and makes me stinky inside). I was using the vanilla one, though, which has a lot of sugar. Not getting it again, sticking with unsweetened for sure. As long as it gets my cereal wet...wait. Am I supposed to quit eating cereal now? *kicks a rock*

Do you just put whole soaked almonds in a food liquifier or do you add some kind of fluid to it? Grocery Outlet often has big bags of whole almonds. I don't think they're even baked.
                Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Knifegill - this is my easy recipe for soaked almond milk:

Take one cup of whole raw almonds. Place them overnight in pure, filtered water (about 2 cups). In the am, or after 8 hours soaking, rinse thoroughly. Place in the blender with 2 1/2 cups of pure (I use distilled) water. If you want it less creamy, use more water, if you want it creamier, use less, but I find 2 1/2 cups is perfect. I add a little stevia -you could add a little honey or 2 - 3 pitted dates. Drain through a cheesecloth (or I just found out you could use pantyhose!). That's your milk!

Use the almond grindings to make granola - if you want that recipe, let me know!

Good luck - you won't need it, it's really easy! And so much cheaper and better than store bought!

Comment

Originally posted by Rivvin View Post
                    Why are you trying to get protein from nuts? Nuts have protein, but I pretty much consider them a fat and very much not a source of my protein for the day.
                    Why not, when a handful has as much or more than an egg it's a significant source. Not intended to be my primary source by a long shot.

Comment

Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
                      I've been using Trader Joe's Almond milk for a couple of years since I figured out dairy makes me hurt (and makes me stinky inside). I was using the vanilla one, though, which has a lot of sugar. Not getting it again, sticking with unsweetened for sure. As long as it gets my cereal wet...wait. Am I supposed to quit eating cereal now? *kicks a rock*

Do you just put whole soaked almonds in a food liquifier or do you add some kind of fluid to it? Grocery Outlet often has big bags of whole almonds. I don't think they're even baked.
                      TJs has unsweetened vanilla..here is how to make your own
                      http://happyfoody.blogspot.com/2006/...mond-milk.html

Comment

Originally posted by Jadebb1 View Post
                        Knifegill - this is my easy recipe for soaked almond milk:

Take one cup of whole raw almonds. Place them overnight in pure, filtered water (about 2 cups). In the am, or after 8 hours soaking, rinse thoroughly. Place in the blender with 2 1/2 cups of pure (I use distilled) water. If you want it less creamy, use more water, if you want it creamier, use less, but I find 2 1/2 cups is perfect. I add a little stevia -you could add a little honey or 2 - 3 pitted dates. Drain through a cheesecloth (or I just found out you could use pantyhose!). That's your milk!

Use the almond grindings to make granola - if you want that recipe, let me know!

Good luck - you won't need it, it's really easy! And so much cheaper and better than store bought!
                        please give us your granola recipe...

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I'll be using well water and blue agave. I hope the OP has their answer, too!

This forum = Me being so amazed already! I mean, practical ways to make good food! I already eat a lot of dandelion and am largely consuming raw and whole food, but making my own almond milk is a new one. I'll make it Saturday night and let you know how it goes!
                          Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

OK - here's my recipe for soaked granola:

Use the leftover almonds, plus enough soaked nuts and seeds (whatever kinds you want - I'm always changing, but I love pumpkin seeds, sunflower, walnuts soaked are really good, whatever you want) to equal 3 - 4 cups of soaked nuts. Course chop the other nuts/seeds.

Place them on a cookie sheet lined with foil in an oven at 300 degrees, stirring every 15 - 20 minutes until mostly dried, but not browned. This could take up to an hour.

Remove from oven, place in a large bowl, add about 1/4 cup sesame seeds and 1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes. Stir.

Add together 4T nut butter, 4T coconut oil, 1/2 t vanilla, I add 4 packets of stevia, you could add a little honey or do date puree (3 -4 dates pureed with a little water), 1 T cinnamon.

Stir nut butter mixture into roasted nut/coconut mixture, stirring as best as possible. Return to oven on cookie sheet for about another 25 - 30 minutes, stirring about halfway through. You want to kindof brown this so it's slightly crispy.

Remove from oven and add raisins/craisins, if desired.

OK, so the Almond Milk is easy - this recipe takes a little time - but it's really really good. I use it as a topper for my primal shakes or just eat it in a bowl of almond milk. Enjoy!

Comment

Originally posted by Adrianag View Post
                              Why not, when a handful has as much or more than an egg it's a significant source. Not intended to be my primary source by a long shot.
                              Ah my bad then, I think I just misunderstood your post. It seemed like you were concerned that almond milk lacked protein, which I would never look for in an almond milk.

nevermind then!

Comment

Working...
                              X