Chipotle meal quality...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chipotle meal quality...

So with my new job I've been working a ton and haven't had the chance to cook like I normally have been. I've recently taken to running by Chipotle for lunch. According to them their food quality is a step above the rest, but how do any of you have any objective information regarding their quality?

What I typically have is a steak or chicken bowl:
    Calories Fat Protein Carbs
    Steak
    Guac
    Sour Cream
    Cheese
    Fajita Vegetables

Totals 580 38.5 43 15

Sorry if the formatting is crazy, I was doing this in excel then did a copy and paste.

What do you all think?

What your eating sounds good. As far a chipotles claims about the quality, I don't know. I would think they might have some info on there web site as to were they get their food. I don't know if you have an Elevation Burger in your area or not, but they claim their meat is grass fed and you can get it in a lettuce wrap instead of a bun.
    My blog: My Primal Adventure

"I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubble gum."

Comment

You can go to their website and it explains how they promote better quality ingredients (natural, organic for some stuff I think, etc) and their handy dandy map will show you based on the state you live in, what level quality of ingredients they serve. For instance, in my area of TX they don't have good quality pork, but I believe chicken and beef is better than normal.

Comment

Originally posted by skink531 View Post
        What your eating sounds good. As far a chipotles claims about the quality, I don't know. I would think they might have some info on there web site as to were they get their food. I don't know if you have an Elevation Burger in your area or not, but they claim their meat is grass fed and you can get it in a lettuce wrap instead of a bun.
        +1 on Elevation Burger. The original one opened up about 3 blocks from my house in Falls Church but I have only seen them in the Washiington DC area. They claim to have organic pastured Kobe Beef. I don't eat there that often so when I do I usually just get the bun. Some other burger places will serve you the patty on a bed of lettuce which is even better in my view.

Comment

I guess it depends on your soy stance - I just read on another thread the other day that Chipotle has soy oil in every one of their foods (except the cheese). As someone trying to limit these types of oils, it was a bit off-putting:

http://www.chipotle.com/en-US/menu/s...formation.aspx

Comment

Well that's the end of eating at Chipolte. I pretty much think that unless you eat at home your going to eat something that you don't want to eat.

Comment

Yea I checked the site, but they do the whole "well our standards are so high that it's great food!" They don't actually state what their standards are only that they are "naturally" raised. We all know the term natural really has no meaning anymore in marketing. I want to know about their diets, but I don't see any information pertaining to that.

Any chance you can link me to the maps because I don't see them. Either that or maybe I'm just blind *shrug*

Comment

Originally posted by hazmat View Post
                Well that's the end of eating at Chipolte. I pretty much think that unless you eat at home your going to eat something that you don't want to eat.
                Hey, I am not saying Chipotle is the worst thing you can eat - they do a pretty good job otherwise. This just takes it out of the running for ME most days since I am iffy about soy. If it doesn't bother you, go for it.

Although, truthfully - eating at home IS the best way to control your ingredients...

Comment

Originally posted by goingprimal View Post
                  I guess it depends on your soy stance - I just read on another thread the other day that Chipotle has soy oil in every one of their foods (except the cheese). As someone trying to limit these types of oils, it was a bit off-putting:

http://www.chipotle.com/en-US/menu/s...formation.aspx
                  Yea they do use soy oil in everything. While it's not optimal I'm just trying to find out if their quality really is much better than eating someplace else. It's kind of a choice of the lesser of many evils.

Comment

I guess this is why we have the 80/20 rule. If there are nothing but bad choices in front of you, you go with the best bad choice you can.
                    My blog: My Primal Adventure

"I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubble gum."

Comment

I wrote to them about my son's allergies once, and there is soybean oil in the meat, rice, beans, fajita veggies--basically everything that's cooked, but not in the cold stuff. (My son also has a dairy and corn intolerance, and is able to eat 2 of the salsas, the guac, and the lettuce...well that's it, but I love those things and they are REAL food--almost all things w/ additives include corn so I'm pretty comfy w/ eating those...They were quite thorough w/ me through email on the ingredients.)

For me, I usually get chicken (cooked in soybean oil :x) on lettuce w/ the mild salsa and guac. Mmmm! Their guac is awesome (and just has good guac stuff in it--avo, cilantro, lime juice, red onions, etc...) Also, avoid the salad dressing (I always get the salad bowl and think of the salsa as my 'dressing') as that has soy oil and prob. sugar...

Not optimal, but on the run when I'm really hungry, I love me some Chipotle...

ETA: Here is the original email I got from them on gluten, dairy, soy and corn intolerance and their food:

The following items do not contain any dairy, gluten or soybean oil:

Carnitas
                      Mild tomato salsa
                      Green chile tomatillo salsa
                      Guacamole
                      Lettuce

I know that is a really short list, so I'd like to give you a better understanding of what is in what so you can make informed decisions for your son. To avoid dairy/lactose/casein, your son should avoid the sour cream and the cheese. He should also skip the small and large flour tortillas since these contain gluten. He may also wish to avoid our hot red tomatillo salsa. There is a small amount of distilled vinegar in it which some gluten-oriented websites still say might be problematic, although most don't.

Because he is allergic to corn, he should skip the crispy taco shells, the chips and the medium corn-poblano salsa. There is also corn starch in our flour tortillas and high-fructose corn syrup in the sugared soft drinks on our fountain.

Many times when people are allergic to soy, it seems they are typically allergic to the soy proteins. During the refining process, these proteins are usually removed. Studies have shown that this refined oil does not demonstrate a hazard to allergic individuals. Therefore, we have found that most people who are allergic or sensitive to soy are not generally sensitive to our soybean oil. On the other hand, raw, unfiltered, or cold-pressed soybean oil contains traces of soybean protein and is subject to allergen labeling. However, because of the refining process, it is not a common allergen to most folks. However, because it might be a problem for your son, I wanted to let you know a number of items we serve are prepared with soybean oil, either as the oil used on the grill or in the item itself. Following are the items which contain soybean oil: Chips, crispy corn taco shells, rice, fajita vegetables, black beans, pinto beans, chicken, steak, barbacoa, chipotle honey vinaigrette and the large and small flour tortillas.

Following is a summary of items your son may wish to avoid, along with the possible allergen the food contains:
                      Sour Cream (dairy)
                      Cheese (dairy)
                      Small and large flour tortillas (gluten, corn, soybean oil)
                      Hot red tomatillo salsa (possible gluten)
                      Crispy taco shells (corn, soybean oil)
                      Chips (corn, soybean oil)
                      Medium corn-poblano salsa (corn)
                      Fountain drinks (corn)
                      Rice (soybean oil)
                      Fajita vegetables (soybean oil)
                      Black beans (soybean oil)
                      Pinto beans (soybean oil)
                      Chicken (soybean oil)
                      Steak (soybean oil
                      Barbacoa (soybean oil)
                      Chipotle honey vinaigrette (soybean oil)

It sounds like you are also familiar with cross contact, but because we do serve many items in our restaurant, we urge you to make careful dining decision. However, our people would be happy to change their gloves at your request. I hope this helps. Please let me know if I can answer anything else
                      Looks like he can have the carnitas as well! Cool!
                      Last edited by FairyRae; 10-29-2010, 12:02 PM.
                      My Before/After Pics
                      Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

Comment

Info on meat quality/food sourcing: http://www.chipotle.com/en-US/fwi/animals/animals.aspx
                        My Before/After Pics
                        Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

Comment

I almost always order the carnitas. The majority of their pork I believe comes from the same farmer in VA (or W VA?) that was highlighted in Food, Inc (still looking for that video).

edit: Found it, and the farmer is Joel Salatin. Here's the link: http://abcnews.go.com/Nightline/chip...7843832&page=2

You can see a video regarding their pork here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rv0lR...layer_embedded

You can also read their stance on animal integrity here: http://www.chipotle.com/en-US/fwi/animals/animals.aspx

Yes, they do use some soy (I'm not a fan) in certain things (certainly not everything, as seen here), but compared to pretty much all other fast food I would consider it worth the trade off. Still, this is one of the reasons I stick with their carnitas (besides, it's freaking delicious). I get the bowl, and often opt for either no rice or beans, or sometimes neither. I make them load me up on meat, guac, veggies (some soy oil there, worth it if you ask me) and lettuce.
                          Last edited by Rip City; 10-30-2010, 01:48 PM.

Comment

Ahh! Now I really can't wait to try the carnitas!!!
                            My Before/After Pics

Comment

http://www.southparkstudios.com/clip...illy-mays-here
                              Started my journey on May 22, 2010:

Beginning weight ~180
                              Current weight ~145

Nov. 9, 2009........Nov. 9, 2010.....Jun. 17, 2011
                              LDL 155...............LDL 176............LDL 139
                              HDL 39................HDL 66..............HDL 95
                              TGL 154..............TGL 77..............TGL 49

Comment

Working...
                              X