Cramps...what's missing?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cramps...what's missing?

Since going primal about 6 weeks ago I've been getting some leg and/or foot cramps at night while sleeping. Interestingly, my mom, who has been following primal for about 3 weeks is experiencing some cramps as well.

I know I'm not eating as many bananas as I did pre-primal ~ could that be it? And I've picked up a bit of a coffee habit and probably should drink more water instead. Maybe that? Thoughts? Is this out of the ordinary?

Thanks!

It is often a mixture of different -iums.

Calcium
    potassium
    sodium
    magnesium
    Meghan

My MDA journal

Primal Ponderings- my blog- finally added some food pron :P

And best of all my Body Fat Makeover!!

Comment

I added magnesium oil and potassium supplements and the cramps went away. This seems to be a pretty common issue when switching and supplementing can be useful.
      Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

Make sure you're getting enough potassium.
        Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Comment

Yep! Lower carb diets usually cause this in the beginning stages due to magnesium and potassium losses (these are stored with water and you lose water when you drop carbs) a supplement should do the trick

Comment

I had the very same problem. Am taking potassium, vitamin D and using Swanson's Magnesium oil, which is a spray-on product that I think is helping a lot. The spray-on magnesium is great if regular magnesium pills mess with your digestive system, as they do w/ mine. It's inexpensive, and you can order it through Amazon. Good luck! I know those night-time foot cramps are very painful!

Comment

Originally posted by NutMeg View Post
              It is often a mixture of different -iums.

Calcium
              potassium
              sodium
              magnesium
              Geraniums
              Nasturtiums
              Pelagoniums
              Euphoniums

Oh, wait, wrong -iums...

Sorry, inappropriate post, just feeling not too bad today for once...
              La tristesse durera toujours...

Comment

Originally posted by TARNIP View Post
                Yep! Lower carb diets usually cause this in the beginning stages due to magnesium and potassium losses (these are stored with water and you lose water when you drop carbs) a supplement should do the trick
                I don't know how good it is, but I use LoSalt for seasoning (66% KCl, 33% NaCl - see http://www.losalt.com/home.html) instead of supplementing with K. Mum's always bought it for Dad, as he's gotta watch that BP!

I dunno whether the 33% NaCl negates any usefulness the K might have, but it's there and I've not had any problems with muscle cramps (well, except the usual womanly muscles, obviously!! PCOS gives you HELLISH PMS!!!)
                La tristesse durera toujours...

Comment

For me, it was magnesium. Now that I take a 400mg magnesium citrate supplement 4-5 times a week (I forget the other days - oops) I don't get ANY cramps at night.

I don't know if they started due to the lower carbs or the higher vitamin D levels, which I've heard can actually make your body require more Mg, for some reason. But now they're gone, yay! =] Magnesium can also help you sleep if it's taken at night.
                  "mayness, you need to have a siggy line that says "Paleo Information Desk" or something!" -FMN <3

I'm blogging again, at least a little bit.

Comment

I got the same cramps when I started eating ZC. After a couple weeks, they passed - I think my body was adjusting to different chemical balances somehow.
                    - If it was cute and cuddly at some point, eat it. Ignore everything else. -

- Food is first, and foremost, nothing more than fuel. -

- The body is animal. The mind, however, is not. -

Comment

Speaking as a massive salt addict with a history of frequent leg cramps during pregnancy, I addSed potassium supps and I haven't had a leg cramp in months. Yay!
                      "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

Comment

I get charlie horses at night when I stretch my legs out. I was told an old wives tale once to stand up, and the pain will go away. That really works. But I agree with the above, it's lack of potassium. You could eat bananas to increase your potassium, however bananas are full off carbs, and I'm trying to stay away from them. I think this weekend, I will pick up some potassium suppliments.

Comment

Originally posted by croí View Post
                          I was told an old wives tale once to stand up, and the pain will go away. That really works.
                          Yep -- if you do get a leg cramp, getting your toes pointing up toward your knee (as opposed to pointing your foot down ballet style, make sense?) is the way to get your calf to relax. Standing up or just grabbing your foot and pulling can save you from getting hurt worse.
                          "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

Comment

Thank you all so much for your advice! Sounds like we neeed to get some supplements. It would be nice to get the results through diet alone though but until I get that part ironed out I'll gladly swallow a pill to avoid those horrid nightly cramps.

Comment

Originally posted by croí View Post
                              I get charlie horses at night when I stretch my legs out. I was told an old wives tale once to stand up, and the pain will go away. That really works. But I agree with the above, it's lack of potassium. You could eat bananas to increase your potassium, however bananas are full off carbs, and I'm trying to stay away from them. I think this weekend, I will pick up some potassium suppliments.

Charlie horses like that for me were a result of being too low on calcium.
                              Meghan

My MDA journal

Primal Ponderings- my blog- finally added some food pron :P

And best of all my Body Fat Makeover!!

Comment

Working...
                              X