I need your advice.... my cholesterol is out of whack

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need your advice.... my cholesterol is out of whack

Hi everyone, I'm hoping you can help me with a concern about my cholesterol. First, just a few stats.... I'm a 50 year old woman, 5'7', 134 pounds. My weight has been about the same for my entire adult life, I've always been active and I've always tried to eat well (admittedly by CW standards). I started living by the Primal Blueprint a year and a half ago, and I absolutely love it. Today however, I got a report back from my doctor about my cholesterol. HDL is 65, so fine. But my LDL is 164. I told my doctor I was on a paleolithic type nutrition plan and she just raised an eyebrow as if to say.... "I think we know where to lay the blame", because of course, the recommendation is to stop eating saturated fats. I'm at a bit of a loss as to how to proceed. I can't even fathom going back to some sort of low fat, calorie counting "diet", and yet, 164..... it's not good. Any suggestions?

I am in the same boat, although my HDL was only 40 so I am in worse shape.

Basically you need to read through this thread:

Cholesterol - A Primer (Attempt 2)
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

For me I am taking a good amount of fish oil, vitamin D, a probiotic, exercising, and of course no grains. I am planning a follow up blood test after about 6 weeks have passed to see how I do.

Good luck
    5-24-10 ................ 5-24-11
    Weight: 281.......... Weight: 203

10-11-10
    Weight: 259
    Total Cholesterol: 243
    LDL: 188
    HDL: 40
    Trig: 96

2-18-11
    Weight: 228
    Total Cholesterol: 239
    LDL: 183 (calc), 138 (actual)
    HDL: 46
    Trig: 49

6-23-11
    Weight: 197.2
    Total Cholesterol: 225
    LDL: 161 (calc), 120 (actual)
    HDL: 56
    Trig: 38

Comment

Thyroid problems can raise your cholesterol
      Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Comment

What about your triglycerides? Is your doctor willing to test if your LDL is pattern A or B? 164 is not that high especially if it's pattern A (I think that's the good one) On my lab sheet it says <130 is good.

Comment

Originally posted by Katie82 View Post
          What about your triglycerides? Is your doctor willing to test if your LDL is pattern A or B? 164 is not that high especially if it's pattern A (I think that's the good one) On my lab sheet it says <130 is good.
          My Triglycerides are 56, which is very good.... weird, huh?

Comment

You know, that's really interesting, because the reason I was having my blood work done in the first place was due to concerns about my thyroid. My hair has been thinning and the girl that cuts my hair said I should have my thyroid checked. It came back only slightly elevated at 4.77, but I didn't have a baseline to compare that to, so we're going to do the blood work again in 3 months. I'll do some more research on the link between thyroid and cholesteral. Thank you.

Comment

4.77 is pretty high by today's standards. I would recommend insisting on a free T3 and free T4. There are many hypothyroid and cholesterol experts on the forum who will be able to give you more info.
              Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

Eh. You are fine. See griff's cholesterol primer.

Comment

Look at your ratios. LDL/HDL = 164/65, or 2.52, where the ideal is 4.3 or below - so what is your doctor smoking? Go read my Cholesterol Primer (in my signature) and be enlightened - your doctor doesn't have a clue.
                  Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Comment

4.77 TSH is anythink BUT "normal". Get the additional tests Free t-3, T-4 and Thyroid antibodies.

Comment

Originally posted by Griff View Post
                      Look at your ratios. LDL/HDL = 164/65, or 2.52, where the ideal is 4.3 or below - so what is your doctor smoking? Go read my Cholesterol Primer (in my signature) and be enlightened - your doctor doesn't have a clue.
                      Hey, thanks Griff. This is very interesting stuff. I'm feeling much better about these numbers....

Comment

Originally posted by Griff View Post
                        your doctor doesn't have a clue.
                        Ahem. I beat griff by ten minutes.

/ewinnarofnothing

Comment

Your doctor doesn't have a clue about either cholesterol or thyroid--but neither does my primary. I had to go to an endo to get a diagnosis--after 5 years of increasingly severe symptoms!

First of all, with your high HDL and low trigs, your LDL is most likely Pattern A--a 'good' kind. You can get this confirmed with a VAP test.

Unmedicated hypothyroid will also elevate LDL--and at over a 4 TSH, you are clearly hypothyroid. Several years ago, the national org. of endos lowered the number from 5 to 3 for TSH max (i.e., anyone with a 3 or higher should be medicated). However, this is an individual thing, and when my own TSH went up to 2.6, I was too exhausted to get out of bed. In any case, a doctor who considers a TSH over 4 to be 'normal,' should be your former doctor.

You need to find a doctor who will test both T4 and T3 as well as your antibodies to determine whether or not your hypo is from Hashimoto's (autoimmune condition).

Comment

That LDL is calculated which means nothing coupled with the TG of 57. Also look at the following article from Richard.
                            http://freetheanimal.com/images/2009...-mortality.gif
                            A total cholesterol of 200-240 is probably the best to have, unfortunately I am not there yet.
                            To convince your doctor you might want to use the Iranian formula for calculating LDL.
                            http://homepages.slingshot.co.nz/~geoff36/LDL_mg.htm
                            You could also ask him to test your LDL particle size, which definitely will be all pattern A.

The TSH doesn't mean anything in isolation. TSH of 4.77 is probably too high. TSH actually only matters when coupled together with free T3. If free T3 is high and TSH is high that means your Pituitary is not working well. If TSH is high and fT3 is low that means your Thyroid is not working well.
                            If sometimes you have high fT3 and sometimes low fT3 it indicates Hashimoto's, which is triggered by some elements in the diet, coupled with a bad digestive system which is probably because of wheat.

Read the excellent website stopthethyroidmadness.com for all about thyroid. Detecting and working with thyroid is anything but simple, complicated by the lack of doctors who know anything other than treating the lab number of TSH.

Comment

Yes, I actually had a consultation with a new doctor yesterday. I told him my TSH was 4.77, he asked if my GP had ordered the test for T3, T4 etc. When I said "no", he gave an inward eye roll, nodded and said "we'll do that". After speaking with him, I fell MUCH more comfortable about getting my thyroid condition under control. And thanks to all of you, I have a much better understanding (and less panic) about my cholesterol numbers.

thanks everyone.....

Comment

Working...
                              X