No announcement yet.

Have lost 65 pounds but now need help!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have lost 65 pounds but now need help!

Hi everyone,

I weighed 233 in Feb. of this year. I was a size 20! I was very sick. I was prediabetic, high blood pressure, fibromyalgia, my c-reactive protein was extremely high, I was terribly inflammed, I had pcos, and felt terrible. I started removing foods from my diet to see what was making me so sick.

I had already removed gluten and dairy and soy. I have celiac disease and am allergic to dairy and soy. I started my new plan by eating 4 times a day. My blood sugar was extremely unstable. I would go high and then bottom out. I cut back on grains at first and totally cut out all processed food.
    I ate meat, veggies, quinoa, brown rice, sweet potatoes, and fat. I lost about 12 pound in 3 weeks.
    Not that great for how big I was. I was still hurting terribly. My joints and feet hurt all the time.
    I picked up a copy of the Paleo diet and stopped eating grains. The weight fell off! But my carbs were to low and I felt dizzy alot. I added in fruit and that helped. I would eat sweet potato chips every once in a while. I lost 65 pounds in 5 months!

I look totally different. But my diet is so limited because of my food allergies. I don't tolerate nuts well or nightshade vegetables which really limits me. No tomato, bellpepper, eggplant, paprika, jalepenos, ect.... The nightshades make me very sick.

My weight loss has slowed down and now came to a complete halt! So, I added in beans, corn thins, or corn tortillas here and there but no more weight loss. My carb count is still around 100 grams.
    I cant imagine going back to only meat, veggies, and fat. Any suggestions.

I have 20 more pounds to go.
    Thanks!

I wanted to add that I had MAJOR hairloss and that is why I felt that I should up the carbs.

Comment

Check your entire diet, especially caloric intake. You are possibly at a maintenance level now and need to reduce your calories some. That's one thing to check.

Comment

Thanks John! I'm 5'5 1/2 and pretty musclular. I weigh 168-170 now. Does 1500 cal. sound too high?

Comment

I would lower the carb counts, and that does not mean you have to take out fruit. I eat berries or half an apple through out the week, and I keep my carbs at 50 per day. You also probably need to make sure you have adjusted your caloric intake to meet your new weight as well. If I were you.......and I hope to be you in about another 40 pounds, I would take it back to basics, meat, good fat, veg (mostly greens) and some fruits (mostly berries)
          Redflame
          Started PB Aug 9, 2010 then let 'stuff' get in the way
          Back to start and make a fantastic 2012
          Goal of Significant Weight Loss
          15 pounds down! with more to go!

Comment

Thanks Redflame, that is what I was thinking I needed to do.

Comment

If you are pretty muscular and very active, then that might be a little low actually. You might eat at around 2000 for a few weeks, keep your carbs between 50-100, lot of fat, moderate protein around 120g, and see how you do. The main thing is to give it at least 2-3 weeks to see if you notice changes.

Comment

Thanks John, I really appreciate the help and encouragement!

Comment

1500 cals seems about right based on those figures
                  Redflame

Comment

Originally posted by john_e_turner_ii View Post
                    If you are pretty muscular and very active, then that might be a little low actually. You might eat at around 2000 for a few weeks, keep your carbs between 50-100, lot of fat, moderate protein around 120g, and see how you do. The main thing is to give it at least 2-3 weeks to see if you notice changes.
                    +1.
                    sigpic

HANDS OFF MY BACON :: my primal journal

Comment

The hairloss is called telogen effluvium and it's simply from losing weight (or any bodily stress); it has nothing to do with the carbs you're eating. It is a normal, common process. The hair will grow back. I can assure you beans and corn are not going to promote hair growth, and they're certainly not doing you any favors in other ways!

Comment

Hey you know what, I did not take the time to say WAY TO GO! great job on the weight loss already, you are doing great.

By chance are you at a weight that you have stayed at for a long period of time before? I find that I often 'stick' at weights where I have maintained in previous years. Right now I am at a spot that I used to be for over a year, it is so hard to budge from here. But I WILL! I am finding that I have to switch it up a bit to make things move when things happen like this. The last switch up was going Primal, and that was the best decision, Low fat, low cal got 30 pounds off and then I stalled for a long time.

Harris Benedict Calculations says at a moderate activity level you should be at 1500 to lose 2 pounds a week......BUT that seems very low, just depends alot on where you have been for the last few weeks and what is NOT working.
                        Redflame

Comment

What are you doing as far as moving your body? You don't mention anything about that.
                          "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Comment

From personal experience, corn will keep that weight on, for sure.

What do ranchers use to fatten up hogs before being sent to slaughter? Corn.
                            "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Comment

Awesome job! Is that you in the avatar? Gorgeous!!!

Like Redflame, I have had some stalls at weights that I previously maintained awhile on the way up. It might be better to slow down the weight loss process for a bit to let your body catch up in healing. Eat more eggs, red meat, bacon, and spinach for good hair growing vitamins. If I were going to add in a non-primal food in your situation, it would be soaked browned rice (Weston Price/Nourishing Traditions style) before corn or beans. It at least has the B vitamins that are good for your hair.
                              My journal
                              7/5/11 -Size 14;
                              1/10/12 -Size 4

Comment

Working...
                              X