Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What causes yellow skin in vegans?

Hey everyone

I have noticed that several vegans I have met, and to a certain extent some vegetarians, have a very noticeable (and in my opinion, sickly-looking) yellow tinge to their skin.

Anyone know what they are lacking that might cause this?
    - If it was cute and cuddly at some point, eat it. Ignore everything else. -

- Food is first, and foremost, nothing more than fuel. -

- The body is animal. The mind, however, is not. -

Too many bananas.

Comment

Could it be to much carrot juice?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carotenosis

Comment

lots of carotene (juicing carrots) will turn you slightly orange, how special is that?
        Last edited by Moochy; 10-28-2010, 04:47 PM.
        Primal/Paleo is not for everyone, it's for those who have committed to understand.
        READ THE BOOK! ...as Robb Wolf says: "Trying to convince people to save their own ass will burn you out."

Vegetarians are the enemy of everything good and decent in the human spirit, and an affront to all I stand for -- the pure enjoyment of food. Anthony Bourdain

and yes, calories DO count my little piggies

Comment

You can also get jaundice from B12 deficiency. Since you don't find a lot of B12 in plant foods, it's tough for vegetarians to get without supplementing. (And a lot of vegans refuse to use supplements from animal products, of course...)
          Last edited by Jenny; 10-28-2010, 12:19 PM.
          "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

Comment

Yeah definitely a deficiency. Interesting anecdote:
            "The Dalai Lama experimented with vegetarianism once, but after getting jaundice, his doctors advised him to return to eating meat. This became controversial when he visited the White House and was offered a vegetarian menu, he rejected it and replied 'I'm a Tibetan monk, not a vegetarian'."
            carl's cave

Comment

With thyroid issues, people can have problems metabolizing beta carotene. I turned slightly yellow from low thyroid function and eating too many carrots.

Comment

hmm. interestingly enough i was thinking the same looking at two vegans sitting next to me in class few days ago.

1) Anemia is a big one

2)Something off with their liver or kidneys...or both. many liver/kidney issues are linked to malnutrition btw

3) excessive intake of vitamin A or poor absorption of vitamin A ( and the absorption is very poor when its Vit A from plant source

Comment

Yellow skin is a sign of poor liver funtion. Hope that is working out well for them.

Comment

Some of them look kind of gray to me, maybe the ones that don't like carrots?

Comment

Originally posted by Jenny View Post
                      You can also get jaundice from B12 deficiency. Since you don't find a lot of B12 in plant foods, it's tough for vegetarians to get without supplementing. (And a lot of vegans refuse to use supplements from animal products, of course...)
                      B12 deficiency and heart disease in vegetarian Indians
                      http://www.themedguru.com/20100926/n...-86140640.html

Comment

Originally posted by Xenya View Post
                        hmm. interestingly enough i was thinking the same looking at two vegans sitting next to me in class few days ago.

1) Anemia is a big one

2)Something off with their liver or kidneys...or both. many liver/kidney issues are linked to malnutrition btw

3) excessive intake of vitamin A or poor absorption of vitamin A ( and the absorption is very poor when its Vit A from plant source
                        Just a side note-contrary to popular opinion-Beta Carotene is NOT vitamin A. It is a precursor. Two VERY different things!
                        Chief cook & bottle washer for one kid, a dog, 6 hens, 2 surprise! roosters, two horses, and a random 'herd' of quail.

~The ultimate ignorance is the rejection of something one knows nothing about and refuses to investigate~

Comment

I have a vegetarian aunt who adores carrots and has to limit them a little bit or she becomes quite yellow/orange.
                          Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

Working...
                          X