Coffee and weight loss

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coffee and weight loss

OK, I know this is opening a can of worms, but what is your opinion? Does having coffee prohibit/inhibit weightloss on any level?

I usually haver 12-16 oz everyother day.

No, coffee (assuming we're talking black here and not a lb of sugar that's been dissolved in just enough hot water to get it liquefied and then mixed together with half a cup of cream) should not inhibit weight loss at all and the caffeine should give you a slight boost. Martin from leangains for example is a big coffee drinker.
    http://www.facebook.com/daemonized

Comment

I lost 100lbs and I'm a heavy coffee drinker, though I recently switched to all decaf.

Comment

Heavy coffee drinker here, no adverse effects with weightloss. Nothing but black coffee for me.
        My whole life, I've felt like an animal......but I've ignored my instincts. I ignored what I really am. That will never happen again.

My blog

Comment

Originally posted by Adrianne View Post
          I lost 100lbs and I'm a heavy coffee drinker, though I recently switched to all decaf.
          It sounds like you're a lot lighter coffee drinker than you used to be. The decaffeination process can involve weird chemicals. I stick to caffeinated green tea over decaf just to avoid the additional processing and chemicals involved.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decaffeination
          http://www.facebook.com/daemonized

Comment

Originally posted by Daemonized View Post
            It sounds like you're a lot lighter coffee drinker than you used to be. The decaffeination process can involve weird chemicals. I stick to caffeinated green tea over decaf just to avoid the additional processing and chemicals involved.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decaffeination

I love this forum, literally learn something new every day. I had no idea about the Decaf process! Thanks for enlightening me

As for the original question, I feel like coffee would HELP me lose weight if anything, if I have a cup in the morning (black, or with some cream) I find that I stay feeling full for longer than if I had skipped it

Comment

Originally posted by Tara View Post
              I love this forum, literally learn something new every day. I had no idea about the Decaf process! Thanks for enlightening me

As for the original question, I feel like coffee would HELP me lose weight if anything, if I have a cup in the morning (black, or with some cream) I find that I stay feeling full for longer than if I had skipped it
              Very true, as I understand it, caffeine works a mild appetite suppressant.
              My whole life, I've felt like an animal......but I've ignored my instincts. I ignored what I really am. That will never happen again.

My blog

Comment

Good to know that it's not just in my head!

Comment

Also studies have shown that certain amount of caffeine roughly 30 minutes before cardiovascular exercise, especially sprint circuits, will aid in the weight loss process. I believe, it is in fact part of one of Lyle Mcdonalds routines.

My blog

Comment

Nora Gedgaudas claims that drinking coffee spikes your need for glycogen making you a "sugar burner" and therefore: not a "fat burner". I don't know how true that is, but if you're having trouble losing those last 10 pounds then maybe cutting coffee (or caffeine, more appropriately) may make sense.

Comment

I switched to decaf tea about a month ago and I have to admit that my weightloss has slowed a good bit. Might be purely a coincidence but I do drink about six cups a day so I was getting a decent amount of caffeine before. The caffeinated has more antioxidants too so I think when I've gone through my current stock I'll switch back.

Comment

I can easily replace a meal with a BIG cup of coffee with a " splash" of Heavy whipping cream

Comment

I train fasted first thing every morning after my first coffee. My cycling trainer will actually get on the bike with a bottle of water and a tumbler of coffee.

Here's a good article from Lyle McDonald.

Comment

Originally posted by PrincessGrok View Post
                            I can easily replace a meal with a BIG cup of coffee with a " splash" of Heavy whipping cream
                            Me too! haha only I can't do a big cup (caffeine wires me A LOT, makes me anxious even) so I do almost equal amounts of coffee/cream... thats why giving up dairy for me would be pretty tough. Though I guess I could always try coconut oil, or really heavy coconut milk... most of the coco milk I've found looks like skim milk..
                            I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

Coffee/caffeine raise adrenaline, so fat burning should actually be slightly increased. It's also been shown to increase the amount of testosterone released if taken before the workout (after just causes more cortisol and muscle loss)....

It is a stress to the body though. And too much stress does have negative effects on the body, but as long as you're keeping it under control you should be great.
                              sigpic
                              In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

Comment

Working...
                              X