Microwave ovens

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microwave ovens

I used to avoid microwaves as much as possible, but I'm single and often only cook for myself, and find the microwave makes things a lot easier, especially with cleanup.

Anyone see a problem with microwave usage?

Typically, I will heat my veggies in a bowl in the microwave, and also cook bacon in it (I find the best tasting, crispiest bacon comes out of the microwave!)
    http://healthymindfitbody.com
    "Achieve your perfect weight through the mind-body connection!"

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/microwave-safety/

I don't personally choose to stress out about whatever radiation is emitted or how much nutrition is zapped away. However, next time you grill a steak and microwave the leftovers the next day, think about which tastes juicy and flavorful and which is crunch-spongy and unappetizing.

Comment

I'm pretty sure it's a myth that it zaps out your nutrients. I don't remember where I read this, sorry, but microwave cooking actually preserves nutrients in vegetables because it requires almost no additional water.

Comment

Originally posted by labbygail View Post
        I'm pretty sure it's a myth that it zaps out your nutrients. I don't remember where I read this, sorry, but microwave cooking actually preserves nutrients in vegetables because it requires almost no additional water.
        Right, I don't believe that it destroys nutrition either, but I didn't want to dismiss it out of hand because, you know... "the debate rages on!!!"

Comment

I use a microwave basically everyday and I have no problems
          My whole life, I've felt like an animal......but I've ignored my instincts. I ignored what I really am. That will never happen again.

My blog

Comment

Originally posted by PeteTheMeat View Post
            http://www.marksdailyapple.com/microwave-safety/

I don't personally choose to stress out about whatever radiation is emitted or how much nutrition is zapped away. However, next time you grill a steak and microwave the leftovers the next day, think about which tastes juicy and flavorful and which is crunch-spongy and unappetizing.
            Actually I disagree that it causes a spongy texture. My bacon comes out nice and crispy when I make it in the microwave, even better than on a pan.
            http://healthymindfitbody.com
            "Achieve your perfect weight through the mind-body connection!"

Comment

It can change your food on a molecular level or whatever. I will have to find this article i have. It will even change your water.
              Family Living Simple blog

Facebook

Twitter @Famlivingsimple

Comment

Originally posted by K.ROB View Post
                It can change your food on a molecular level or whatever. I will have to find this article i have. It will even change your water.
                Cooking a piece of steak in a pan will also change it on the molecular level.

Comment

Mercola has a few articles on radiation cooking
                  Primal/Paleo is not for everyone, it's for those who have committed to understand.
                  READ THE BOOK! ...as Robb Wolf says: "Trying to convince people to save their own ass will burn you out."

Vegetarians are the enemy of everything good and decent in the human spirit, and an affront to all I stand for -- the pure enjoyment of food. Anthony Bourdain

and yes, calories DO count my little piggies

Comment

Originally posted by K.ROB View Post
                    With respect, I doubt it; molecular water is 2H for every O, and unless your microwave is making deuterium, it's just making hot water.

That said, my microwave started to die right as I went primal, so I got rid of it. I only used it to reheat leftovers, & I'm glad it's gone; I have more counterspace, and heating in my cast iron pans just gives me an excuse to add more butter and fat.

Comment

Working...
                    X