• Show
Clear All

• Norcal Margarita...anyone tried it?

1. 23 shots of 100% agave tequila.
    2. Juice and pulp from one lime.
    3. Shake it all up with some ice.
    4. Add soda water to taste.

Robb Wolf's concoction.

Curious to try it. Anyone have any tequila recommendations? I'm tempted to try Cabo but at $65/bottle, I'm afraid I'm paying for Sammy Hagar's lifestyle more than quality tequila...

Yup. Last Friday. I thought that it tasted great, but my drinks of choice prior were tequila shots and vodka-soda-lime slice, so this isn't too far off.

In terms of my hangover and level of drunkeness:
    I felt really "level" all night despite the amout of units that I consumed (and one beer shotgunned). I think that it might have something to do with the faster metabolism of alcohol because of the carbonation and empty stomach. It is almost as if my rate of alcohol metabolism was keeping up with my consumption. Usually it seems like all my drinking "catches up" with me at one point in the night and I go from just buzzed to really drunk in about 20 minutes.
    I had a bad headache the next morning, but I think that was caused by 2 things. 1) because I didn't feel that drunk I didn't consume a lot of water before going to bed like I usually do. 2) Tequila seems to give me wicked hangover headaches.

Comment

I've tried it and enjoyed it, even though I ordered it at a bar and they made it as more of a gin and tonic.

Robb Wolf just mentioned a new drink in his podcast. He suggested mixing rum with coconut water and mint, like a mojito. I will have to try it shortly.

Comment

Originally posted by Primal View Post
        Anyone have any tequila recommendations? I'm tempted to try Cabo but at $65/bottle, I'm afraid I'm paying for Sammy Hagar's lifestyle more than quality tequila...
        Don Julio Reposado for sippin, Hornitos for mixin (you don't want to use really good stuff in a mixed drink).

Comment

Originally posted by mhoward View Post
          I've tried it and enjoyed it, even though I ordered it at a bar and they made it as more of a gin and tonic.

Robb Wolf just mentioned a new drink in his podcast. He suggested mixing rum with coconut water and mint, like a mojito. I will have to try it shortly.
          I've been drinking white rum with coconut water for a couple years. I skip the mint and it's delicious. There's a subtle sweetness from the coconut that works really well with rum.
          A steak a day keeps the doctor away.

Comment

I only drink norcal margaritas when I go out. It's seriously the only alcohol i drink besides the occasional red wine.

Comment

So it's tequila with lime juice? Yeah that stuff is tasty, I make it all the time. Well, not all the time, but we've been finishing our weeks of here at the office with a round of them for nearly two years. Certainly not Wolff's invention, but it is a tasty tasy drink.

Cazadores and Sauza are good yet quite affordable brands.
              High end stuff like Patron and Cabo Wabo generally shouldn't be mixed with anything but perhaps a small bit of ice...same as with a nice scotch.
              Last edited by carlh; 10-27-2010, 10:49 AM.
              carl's cave

Comment

I've tried it and made it with cheaper tequila and it was still great! The last time I made it with Hornitos Silver and put a little stevia powder in it, and you really could not tell the difference between it and a regular margarita, except for the healthy buzz instead of the crappy syrupy feeling!
                http://healthymindfitbody.com
                "Achieve your perfect weight through the mind-body connection!"

Comment

I had one this past weekend and I thought it was great! My husband was nursing a beer, but he said his sip was pretty good too.

I have no suggestion for the tequila though, as I had mine at a bar and didn't ask.

Comment

Originally posted by MonkeyGuy View Post
                    I've tried it and made it with cheaper tequila and it was still great!
                    Yeah I used cheap stuff too.

Comment

Originally posted by Rivvin View Post
                      I only drink norcal margaritas when I go out. It's seriously the only alcohol i drink besides the occasional red wine.
                      +100. i thought i'd hate it, but i actually now prefer it over red wine. but then, we keep a big cooler of water in the fridge that is mixed with lemon juice and that tastes just like lemonade to us now, so YMMV.
                      sigpic

HANDS OFF MY BACON :: my primal journal

Comment

Originally posted by batty View Post
                        +100. i thought i'd hate it, but i actually now prefer it over red wine. but then, we keep a big cooler of water in the fridge that is mixed with lemon juice and that tastes just like lemonade to us now, so YMMV.
                        Thanks for the replies, everyone. I'm curious to try it.

Batty - interesting post, especially as I am normally a red wine person. Do you find you need a large amount of lime juice to make the tequila tolerable?

Comment

I rocked these pretty hard, then I blew a tire going into turn 4 and hit the wall.*

*that's code for puking behind a mailbox on the way home

I used to love them, but lately it's virgin norcals for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Primal View Post
                            Thanks for the replies, everyone. I'm curious to try it.

Batty - interesting post, especially as I am normally a red wine person. Do you find you need a large amount of lime juice to make the tequila tolerable?
                            believe it or not, no! it's definitely more than the recipe calls for, but its not, like, cupfuls or anything. i coudnt tell you the exact measurement, but its enough to JUST make it look like a CW margarita.
                            sigpic

HANDS OFF MY BACON :: my primal journal

Comment

Monte Alban for mine. I hit these pretty hard the other night and actually felt pretty good the next day. Because of his recommendation (RWs) to have them early in the evening on an empty stomach, they do the job quite well on less than I would normally drink. I found that 50/50 Mezcal/Lime juice seems to be the perfect ratio, then just top with soda.

Salute!
                              My Journal

Comment

Working...
                              X