I think I actually overdid it.....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think I actually overdid it.....

I don't eat a ton of bacon. I like it, but I try to limit it. Tonight for some reason I went crazy. I cooked up a bunch of bacon, threw in some spaghetti squash and put the whole thing(including fat) over some salad. It was crazy delicious...but man, I have not been feeling great ever since. A little nauseous and a mild headache.....and super thirsty.

Do you think I actually surpassed my physiologic tolerance for fat consumption in one meal? Or maybe it was something specific to the bacon?

It's my first real "miss" with a primal meal
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

No, I think you had way too much salt.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

Yup, you had way too much salt, not to mention the imbalance omega 6:3 ratio.........but it's bacon! Put a smile on!

Comment

Bacon is not the ambrosia that everyone seems to think it is.
        You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

agreed. Too much bacon and I feel like the contents of my stomach are sucking all the moisture out of my body.
          sigpic

Comment

I agree with GC. I don't eat bacon all the time either. It's more of a once in a while thing for me these days even when I have eggs.
            http://www.facebook.com/daemonized

Comment

yeah, i think its the salt, too. You can do the same thing with pork rinds, too. I used to snack on them but its easy to consume a ridiculous amount of salt (and im sure really low quality salt at that) without realizing. Feel terrible afterwards. In any event, both the bacon and the pork rinds are perhaps more processed than what we thrive on. Remember, the underlying principle with this whole paleo primal thing is unprocessed, or as minimally processed food as possible.

Comment

Its probably too much, but I've done the same thing. I found that it is better for me to cook bacon on a full stomach, otherwise I'll eat a whole package while I'm cooking.
                ...how do you look, feel, and perform? -- Robb Wolf

My Blog.

Comment

Thanks for the feed back - I agree now....I think the salt is it. I woke up twice last night desperate for water and actually got a cramp in my foot - which hasn't happened since adding potassium and magnesium supplement.

I usually treat bacon as a condiment. Small amounts on occasion. It just seems a little too processed to be all that primal.

I'm going to drink a lot of water today and chalk it up to live and learn!
                  Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

My impression of the whole bacon-worship of the forums (and the internet in general) is that it's more of a giant running joke / meme / convenient symbol of indulgence.
                    "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

Comment

I have made salt cured bacon before which is extremely salty unless you prepare it correctly--I see no reason why you could not do this method with non-salt cured bacon that you just otherwise find too salty. Basically all you do is bring a skillet of an inch or so of water to a light boil, add your bacon to it for 2 minutes, pour out the water, then fry as usual. This really pulls out the salt. Also I have seen sliced pork fat at Asian supermarkets, it's basically non-cured bacon so it is not salty.

Comment

Originally posted by Jenny View Post
                        My impression of the whole bacon-worship of the forums (and the internet in general) is that it's more of a giant running joke / meme / convenient symbol of indulgence.
                        It started out that way, but some people take it seriously.

You should think of bacon as candy. Its a treat thats bad for you if you eat too much.
                        A steak a day keeps the doctor away

Comment

Internets. Serious Business.

I wish I liked bacon actually, I feel that I'm missing out. (Then again, perhaps it's for the best... also don't like chocolate, wine, coffee, soda... think of all the calories saved!)
                          "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

Comment

Yup. Salt. I don't really eat bacon anymore since I stopped eating breakfast. Now when I do, it tastes SOOOPER salty.

Comment

I have 2-4 slices of bacon a few days a week with eggs for breakfast. I never really ate it before, and I still don't particularly enjoy it, but it helps add calories and fat. I'm actually surprised that the fat to protein ratio isn't higher, and that each piece isnt higher in calories, given how much CW freaks out about bacon... but I also don't come from a big meat-eating background so I was never really familiar with bacon.

Comment

Working...
                              X