Opinions on this snack for daily consumption

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions on this snack for daily consumption

Lately I've been messing with a simple snack, that I think is pretty healthy. It consist of the following: 2 tbs of organic coconut oil, 2 tbsp of unsweetened cocoa powder, 2 tbsp of raw honey and 2 tbsp of coconut flakes. I see no real problem for consuming it on the regular, but I'd like some others opinions.

Thanks

Why do you even need snacks? Eat proper meals instead.
    La tristesse durera toujours...

Comment

I think it would depend on your health goals. That amount of honey may be problematic for some people trying to lose weight, improve insulin sensitivity, or regulate blood sugar. If you are healthy and very active....maybe not such a big deal.

It does sound delicious though
      Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

"Snacks" are for children.
        You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

That's a lot of honey! Try half the amount, and you'll notice it tastes just as good. I like snacks.

Comment

I support snacking!
            That sounds good... high in sugar though. Have you thought about replacing some of the honey with stevia or fruits?

Comment

Originally posted by Shrinking_Violet View Post
              Why do you even need snacks? Eat proper meals instead.
              Why not eat snacks? I don't have time to eat huge meals that would keep me full for 6 hours. I imagine paleolithic man had times where he was snacking several times a day as opposed to just a huge meal. I see nothing wrong with snacks, especially if you are exercising.

My only suggestion would be to add some egg protein powder to this to get some protein.
              http://healthymindfitbody.com
              "Achieve your perfect weight through the mind-body connection!"

Comment

Sub the honey for stevia and you've got a winner snack that I wouldn't feel guilty about. Not sure why anyone would tell you not to snack... if you are eating an appropriate amount of calories with appropriately good food, I see no reason why not to snack. I do it all the time.

In other words, ignore them and go hog wild, champ, I just recommend dumping the honey.

Comment

I am with MonkeyGuy and Rivvin...why no snacks? I thought one of the points of PB is getting in tune with your body and if your body says it needs fuel, fuel it up. I don't always eat meals that will keep me fueled/satisfied until the next "meal time." Hmmm...maybe that is what one of the guys above was talking about. Maybe they are saying if you are hungry, eat a "meal," not a snack?

To the OP, I don't have a comment on your snack idea because I do not like coconut AT ALL...but others have given you good ideas.

Comment

I'm not a snacker either. Part of why I don't snack is my understanding of my body's needs and the meaning of hunger. What tends to drive snacking behavior really isn't one's body but one's mind. When my body needs to be fueled I will give it the fuel that it needs in the form of a meal. I generally go with lunch and dinner and I get all the nutrition that I need from both of those.
                    http://www.facebook.com/daemonized

Comment

I snack sometimes too. Sometimes I'm not hungry enough to eat a whole meal. And I definitely agree that grok would have snacked when he came across small, edible plants and insects.

Comment

I'm a snacker too, hard to pack a lunch for school that's big enough to fill me up when I'm running around campus half the time...but I'm also of the mind that it'll probably be just as good with less honey

Comment

Originally posted by StoneAgeQueen View Post
                          I snack sometimes too. Sometimes I'm not hungry enough to eat a whole meal. And I definitely agree that grok would have snacked when he came across small, edible plants and insects.
                          MMMMMmmmm....insects!

I'm sensing that some in this community are decidedly anti-snacking.
                          I have no problem if you can go with 2 or 3 meals a day and don't feel the need for snacks. If that works for you, great. But I think we're all a a little different in this regard. I remember when I was a kid, I had a couple of friends who could go ALL DAY without eating a thing. On the other hand, if I skipped a meal I would start getting headaches and could not function. To this day, I still get VERY hungry typically 4-5 hours after a meal, even if it's a good paleo meal.

So let's say I eat lunch at noon, and I have a 40 minute workout planned at 5:00. If I didn't have a snack before that workout, there's no way I would have the energy to go through with it. I'm sure there are others here who could do that workout no problem without the snack, but I'd simply be too weak to do much of anything.
                          http://healthymindfitbody.com
                          "Achieve your perfect weight through the mind-body connection!"

Comment

And I agree that if you do choose to have your snack as a regular (your call on that one) I'd lose the honey.
                            http://www.facebook.com/daemonized

Comment

Originally posted by Daemonized View Post
                              And I agree that if you do choose to have your snack as a regular (your call on that one) I'd lose the honey.
                              It really depends on the person's goal. If the person isn't trying to lose weight and has good insulin sensitivity, then that much honey isn't going to matter one iota. (And honey is primal.) If the person is highly active, a couple spoonfuls of honey might be a good thing for performance.

One of the keys of primal living (IMO) is that we are all different. Some people are lactose intolerant, some can't take any grains at all, some are insulin resistant and probably shouldn't have any sugar at all. I don't eat sugar or fruit because I am insulin resistant, but the medical data and common sense tells me that if someone has good insulin sensitivity, moderate amounts of sugar isn't going to harm them and could even be good for them.

Honey is primal and is way more primal than dairy (which is consumed like crazy on this board). At worst, it should be treated like fruit. Eaten in moderate quantities when available in the wild. (I would assume the summer?)

Comment

Working...
                              X