Leangains questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leangains questions

Hey folks, looking for some info on leans gains. I cant seam to navigate that website without isuue. If anyone is familiar with it can you give me some advise. I just started IFing again after getting away from it for awhile. Usually my last intake is a casein shake between 9-10pm then fast till around 12pm the following day, or just after my workout the which usually starts between 1030-11.

He speaks of a pre-workout meal and reffers to BCAA's, would a protein shake with BCAA's fall into this, or only BCAA's?

Can you snack in between meals, or is it 3 meals and thats it?
    Last edited by marktripp; 10-26-2010, 02:34 PM. Reason: clarification

If Daemonized doesn't see this thread and pipe up, you may want to PM him. He's pretty well versed in all things Leangains.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Comment

The BCAA's that he's referring to during fasts are basically pills not so much a protein shake. Martin recommends two to three meals a day and does not particularly advocate snacking. His view is that you either eat a meal or you do not eat a meal. I tend to agree with him on that as well. I eat twice a day and I'm not a snacker either.
      http://www.facebook.com/daemonized

Comment

Originally posted by cillakat View Post
        If Daemonized doesn't see this thread and pipe up, you may want to PM him. He's pretty well versed in all things Leangains.
        Speak of the Daemon.

Comment

Also the BCAAs that Martin refers to pre-workout are mostly for fasted state *pre and prior*, if you are eating within about 30 minutes or so of your workout the BCAA supps aren't going to be such a big worry for you. Don't forget that the BCAAs are a recommendation, I tend to do only fasted workouts without eating for a few hours prior without BCAAs. Meal Frequency within the 8 hour feeding window is up to you, Martin prefers whole meals, as do Daemon and myself though.
          My whole life, I've felt like an animal......but I've ignored my instincts. I ignored what I really am. That will never happen again.

My blog

Comment

First and foremost Martin's best guide to date about Leangains:
            http://www.leangains.com/2010/04/leangains-guide.html

Pre-workout meal
            Depends on your workout timing and such, I'll go as far as to say do what works for you (if you like to work out fasted, then by all means you should).

BCAAs
            He says protein/whey shakes are "okay" but not preferable. I believe he's a supporter of fasted training, but there is scientific evidence (he cites studies) that ingesting BCAAS prior to workout, and thus having SOME protein immediately available during/post workout, is far superior than being 100% fasted. Sort of a compromise between the 2 camps.

Snacking, Meals
            You can do whatever you like, but he says most people find 3 set meals superior in terms of portion control and satiety. I personally do 2, with some snacks. Do what works for you.

Comment

I do deviate from Martin's recommendations sometimes too though. Martin doesn't do longer fasts and I do extend mine out a little more sometimes. In a few hours (dinner) I'll end a 48 hour fast for example. The majority of the time I do the 16 hour leangains fast.

Comment

Is the BCAA necessary pre-workout? I typically like having just a small cup of coffee and some water before my work out.
                Astraia Maria

Comment

Originally posted by astraia.stavros View Post
                  Is the BCAA necessary pre-workout? I typically like having just a small cup of coffee and some water before my work out.
                  Nope, that is almost exactly what I do...but sub a pot of coffee. The BCAAs are an extra, a very helpful one, but an extra none the less.
                  My whole life, I've felt like an animal......but I've ignored my instincts. I ignored what I really am. That will never happen again.

My blog

Comment

http://www.leangains.com/2009/12/pre...etabolism.html

Not necessary but HIGHLY recommended

Comment

Now to the bigger question, what kind of work out do you guys follow? If I sort of go by the Primal Blueprint Fitness e-book and have a higher carb/lower fat meal post-work out on the days I "Lift Heavy Things" would that be good? Martin lists a 1-hour work out. I haven't started the PBF yet, but I doubt those 5 moves twice in a row would take an hour.

I am also going to be switching from ZC to PB so I want to do this right and not gain weight. Well, if the weight gain is muscle and I lose fat also I would just love that.
                      Astraia Maria

Comment

I do Stronglifts 5x5s

My blog

Comment

Originally posted by Adventure8410 View Post
                          I do Stronglifts 5x5s
                          Don't know what those are.
                          Astraia Maria

Comment

I also find the following point on leangains confusing:

"* On rest days, meal one should ideally be the largest meal, as opposed to training days where the post-workout meal is the largest meal. A good rule of thumb is to make meal one on rest days at least 35-40% of your daily calorie intake. This meal should be very high in protein; some of my clients consume more than 100 g of protein in this meal."

Meal one and my post-workout meal would be one and the same meal. I get up around 6 AM, work out around 8 AM, and eat between 12 and 2 PM. Am I missing something?
                            Astraia Maria

Comment

He has some protocols where people eat 1 or 2 meals pre-workout, but the PWO is still the largest meal.

I surf 3x/week and 1 gym day (Pullups, Dips, Squat, DL, Bench) for the most part. Rest days try to walk or hike

Comment

Working...
                              X