Yucca Bread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yucca Bread

I just got back from a cruise and one of the ports was Labadee, Haiti. I watched some of the natives grate some Yucca and then bake it on a stone over coals. It only took about 5 to 10 minutes to cook with no other ingredients and it turned into bread. Anyone ever try this? This would be primal, right?

Brazilian natives do the same thing, it's called 'beiju' (http://www.flickr.com/photos/delfimmartins/4072525420/). I wish I could find a good recipe. All the recipes I've found so far use refined yucca starch.
    Height: 5'4" (1.62 m)
    Starting weight (09/2009): 200 lb (90.6 kg)
    No longer overweight (08/2010): 145 lb (65.6 kg)
    Current weight (01/2012): 127 lb (57.5 kg)

Comment

Basically there was no recipe....they grated the yucca right there and just put it on the hot stone and in minutes it cooked to a bread.

Comment

So it's just grated yucca? I'm going to try it the next time I buy yucca.

Comment

Yes, I watched the guy grate it and then bring it directly to the hot stone....I didn't see him add anything else. I haven't seen yucca in my supermarket but when I do, I'm going to try it.

Comment

Is there anything else added? I love yucca, and it's available!
            Every Day is a New Adventure

Comment

i always wondered what people did with yucca!
              Get on my Level
              http://malpaz.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by MalPaz View Post
                I usually boil it, cut into sticks and then roast it with olive oil and salt. It's OMG delicious. It's amazing.

Comment

I get it at a Cuban restaurant by my house. I Love dipping it in the mojo sauce that comes with the pork.
                  Every Day is a New Adventure

Comment

Hmmm, sounds strangely familiar to the article that is not to be mentioned (something about 'grains').
                    Meghan

My MDA journal

Primal Ponderings- my blog- finally added some food pron :P

And best of all my Body Fat Makeover!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mirrorball View Post
                      Brazilian natives do the same thing, it's called 'beiju' (http://www.flickr.com/photos/delfimmartins/4072525420/). I wish I could find a good recipe. All the recipes I've found so far use refined yucca starch.
                      In Colombia we make Pan de Yuca made with cassava starch, cheese and eggs. The starch, called Yucarina is actually a fermented product made in a fairly primitive manner. It is the fermentation process that provides awesome leavening power. I don't see the use of it as that different from using coconut flour, but it is fairly carby...I haven't dared to make them since going low carb and now primal.
                      Last edited by Adrianag; 10-26-2010, 12:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MalPaz View Post
                        The best thing to do with yuca, one n, is boil it in salted water until just tender, cut it into 3/4 inch wide wedges and deep fry it. Yum, yum, yum! Frozen yuca works best and it is a lot less work than fresh. The freezing tenderizes it.

Comment

Originally posted by NutMeg View Post
                          Hmmm, sounds strangely familiar to the article that is not to be mentioned (something about 'grains').
                          It's high carb but nothing near a grain...it doesn't have the same toxins, anti-nutrients, etc. It's not even remotely related to grains. Compare a Joshua tree to a wheat stalk!

And honestly, unless you're trying to lose weight, I see no reason to fear something like yucca if you can fit into a mod-carb diet. IMO, carbs get way too much crap around here, as someone coming from the maintenance crowd.
                          I don't own a scale and don't care to!

Comment

I saw some yucca roots the last time I was at the asian market, and now I really regret not getting them. There were so many crazy-looking roots that I was curious about, but I only had so much money with me. Definitely gonna go crazy next time I'm there and get a bunch of new stuff to try.

Comment

Yucca Bread

http://www.stanford.edu/group/arts/h...ave/howto.html

Comment

Working...
                              X