Quinoa? Thoughts about it and PB?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quinoa? Thoughts about it and PB?

As I've read the book, I was looking for any info on Quinoa and didn't see any references to it. Its not a grain and its closely related spinach.

I know its one of the only foods that has all 9 amnio acids in its make up. I've eaten it for years b/c of its high protein count.

wondering what everyone's thoughts are on it?
    The most depraved type of human being is the man without a purpose. ~ Ayn Rand
    What's your purpose? Mine is Optimal Health.

Converted to PB November 2010
    SW 190lb
    Leptin Reset Redux (1Sep 2011) SW 170lbs
    25 Sep 2011 160lbs
    1 Dec 2011 158lbs!
    GW ~135lbs
    5'3"
    Mother of 2, and wife to a kick ass husband...trying to contain chaos and havoc on a daily basis

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread40609.html

Complete protein, but high carb. Also produces untoward results in some celiacs. Very high carb.

Comment

I will eat it occasionally, but only after soaking it. From searching other threads, some people say not to eat it at all, but as it's not really a grain, if I prep it I don't feel bad having it occasionally.

Comment

I did a quick search of the blog:
        Reader Response: Alternatives to Grains? What about Quinoa?

I don't think the article mentions the saponin content of quinoa, which is a concern I've heard mentioned. It's covered in the Wikipedia article though.

Comment

While it doesn't contain gluten, quinoa does contain saponins, which are mildly toxic. If you eat quinoa, make sure you wash it thoroughly to remove some of the saponins. Quinoa is notably high in protein for a pseudo-grain, but ultimately it still is predominantly carbohydrates. If you do choose to continue eating quinoa, I would recommend treating it as an occasional indulgence.
          The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

Comment

Working...
          X