Flax pasta?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flax pasta?

Has anyone ever tried making fresh pasta from flax meal? I know flax isn't primal, but sometimes I would like a pasta when everyone else is having some and would have it asmy 20%.

Vegetable and squash substitutes just don't cut it for me, I'm afraid, and any sort of "real" pasta is out of the question for me. I've looked on the internet but can't find any info.

Originally posted by StoneAgeQueen View Post
    Has anyone ever tried making fresh pasta from flax meal? I know flax isn't primal, but sometimes I would like a pasta when everyone else is having some and would have it asmy 20%.

Vegetable and squash substitutes just don't cut it for me, I'm afraid, and any sort of "real" pasta is out of the question for me. I've looked on the internet but can't find any info.
    Why isn't flax primal?
    http://healthymindfitbody.com
    "Achieve your perfect weight through the mind-body connection!"

Comment

Can't you just buy some dried gluten-free pasta at a health food store or something? Gluten-free is better than nothing, I guess, and it spares you the pain in the ass of having to make pasta from scratch...

Comment

I know this is a frankenfood--but the inulin coated pasta made by Dreamfields does not raise my blood sugar--at all-even two hours later, although YMMV. I only have it once in awhile when I really crave pasta. Most of the time, spaghetti squash or some other veggie works just fine as a carrier for sauce. I use roasted broccoli for my "pasta" when I make "mac" and cheese. But once in a blue moon, Dreamfields is what works for me. If necessary, chalk it up to your 20%. Oh--and cook to al dente to preserve the inulin coating and the low insulin response.

Comment

I can't have anything starchy guys as I'm a T1 diabetic, so dreamfields and anything similar is out of the question for me as it raises my blood sugar too much. I can eat flax bread with no raise so that's why I thought pasta made from it might be good.

I wonder how pasta made with flax would turn out? fresh pasta is just flour, eggs and water, right?

Comment

tell us if you find out - i'd be interested to know!
            Scottish Sarah

Join our UK/ROI Primal group here! http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...php?groupid=67

Give me a poke on facebook http://www.facebook.com/#!/pistepals
            **Remember to tell me your forum name so I know who you are!**

Comment

@ Sheba. Hmm, I can feel a kitchen experiment coming on! I've never even made "real" fresh pasta though!

Comment

Except for egg noodles, I think it's just wheat and water.
                Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
                Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Comment

I'd look up gf recipes and go from there. You may need xantham gum or another binder in place of the gluten. I'd be sure to use a very fine flaxmeal as well. I've made my own gf sprouted pasta in the past (preprimal)--just once. After sprouting and dehydrating them, I ground the grains in a coffee grinder (came out like flour, but a bit more course). I found it hard to work w/ and the pasta was quite gritty--not so good... A finer grind would yeild a much better product IMO.

I'd be interested in hearing how it turns out for you! Good luck!

Also, have you looked into kelp noodles or sea spaghetti (I think that's what its called...)?
                  My Before/After Pics
                  Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

Comment

I just heard of kelp noodles today! They look interesting. Do they taste like seaweed?

Comment

this is not necessarily primal, but definately an option for an every once in a while "cheat". Kame bean threads (the ingredients are bean starch and water). I had this a while back with pasta sauce and I liked them.

And why isn't flax primal?

Comment

Kelp noodles are similar to mung bean noodles. Tasteless too. I've only had them once--they were ok. I'm not a huge fan of most pasta subs, but have been thinking of trying them again in Asian dishes...

http://kelpnoodles.com/

Sea spaghetti (which I have not tried) looks like an even less processed option: http://sirova.com
                        http://therawdivas.com/blog/2010/04/...-introduction/
                        My Before/After Pics
                        Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

Comment

Hmm. What about coconut flour?

Comment

Originally posted by StoneAgeQueen View Post
                            I can't have anything starchy guys as I'm a T1 diabetic, so dreamfields and anything similar is out of the question for me as it raises my blood sugar too much. I can eat flax bread with no raise so that's why I thought pasta made from it might be good.

I wonder how pasta made with flax would turn out? fresh pasta is just flour, eggs and water, right?
                            Just curious, is it the fact that you are T1 that or have you tested your reaction to Dreamfields? I know some diabetics tolerate it. And it is industinguishable from regular pasta.

About the kelp noodles, the are called shiritaki or something along those lines. Aack! Not my cup o noodles! Slimy and fishy, uck.
                            Last edited by Adrianag; 10-26-2010, 07:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrianag View Post
                              Just curious, is it the fact that you are T1 that or have you tested your reaction to Dreamfields? I know some diabetics tolerate it. And it is industinguishable from regular pasta.

About the kelp noodles, the are called shiritaki or something along those lines. Aack! Not my cup o noodles! Slimy and fishy, uck.
                              Sorry this is a month late but I only noticed your post now

Dreamfields isn't good for diabetics because it contains wheat gluten. Anyone with an autoimmune disease needs to avoid gluten like the plague, also I've heard numerous diabetics say that their blood sugar was through the roof after eating it, no different from normal pasta.

Comment

Working...
                              X