Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need to raise carb intake a bit but can't do starch...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need to raise carb intake a bit but can't do starch...

Ok folks, I have recently discovered that I have a thyroid hormone conversion issue and apparently VLC eating is one of the causes. I have been eating VLC <50g for ages and need some ideas on how to increase my carb intake without either gaining weight, or eating anything starchy like sweet potato or bananas as they give me wicked acid reflux (I have GERD and eosophageal strictures). Oh btw, I don't eat dairy either

Should I just start putting honey in my tea or does anyone have any better ideas.

Thanks!
    My Journal

I suggest an avocado a day. My favorite is to mash it up and put into a smoothie with berries, egg yolk, coconut oil, and vanilla.

Comment

An avocado is a great suggestion, or, this time of year, especially, maybe an apple? Another possibility, especially if you're okay with nuts, is to add in some primal baked goodies, adjusting the ratios of sweeteners used (more honey or maple syrup to stevia?) and substituting coconut or olive oil for butter, if that's a problem. Elana's Pantry, Comfy Belly, and Healthy Indulgences all have great recipes. I find them so nutrient-dense and satisfying that I'm not tempted to eat too much.

I also have the thyroid thing going on (Hashimoto's, for me), and I've found that raising my carb intake has really helped a lot. Last week, I broke my foot, so was limited to a bit of hobbling around and kind of ran out of fresh meat and veggies. Was also bored, so finally made a batch of pecan shortbread from Elana's Pantry. Nibbled on that, ate some grapefruit, eggs, and a bit of chicken salad, had one of those carb-bomb gluten-free bagels, lazed around on the couch, and, much to my surprise, lost a couple of pounds to break through a plateau! I was fully prepared to gain several pounds, instead.

On the other hand, the months I spent trying to stay below 50 g. of carbs (or, for a disastrous few days, <20 g.) netted me only a very modest and extremely slow weight loss. But I don't think those months were a waste: they did school my tastes to be more primal, and that's been invaluable. I'm now not really worrying about my carb intake, because, for the most part, my default pattern of eating is not over-abundant in carbs. This means that I do have to make a point of eating something carb-y most days, and I've loosened my restrictions to include a bit of soaked brown rice or even a little bit of white potato (I know you said that you can't do starch, so those probably won't help you) from time to time. I'll have a couple of days a week in which I don't up the carbs, though, and these seem to help, too, though I'm not sure how.

Anyway--good luck with getting the conversion problem corrected! I've wondered if that might be going on for me, too. Will bring it up with the doc next time I see her.

Comment

How many carbs do you need? And you can't do starch even when mixed with other foods like in a stew or something?
        About the honey: Theres a study where some folks are fed 10 tablespoons of honey a day for a month in addition to their regular diets, and none of em gained weight. It still feels like a lot of fructose though..

Comment

Do you like parsnips? Turnips? Rutabagas? They would help you raise your carbs.

Comment

rutabagas are AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
            Get on my Level
            http://malpaz.wordpress.com/

Comment

As far as the GERD problem goes, try drinking ginger tea about ten to twenty minutes prior to consuming a starchy food. Alternatively, you could take a DGL pill ten to twenty minutes in advance. Be sure to get the chewable kind. "DGL" is an acronym for "de-glycyrrhizinated licorice." It's a licorice extract that has had its glycyrrhizin (a compound linked to high blood pressure) content removed. I find that it's extremely effective for dealing with any sort of digestive upset, including heartburn. Many people use it for this exclusively.

Comment

I'm not sure what would count as 'starchy' for you (carbohydrates = sugars or starches, and I'm guessing you'd just as soon not eat sugar...?). How about squashes? Nice and seasonal.

Comment

A carrot.
                  "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Comment

Hmmm...that's tough about the sweet potatoes, that's a main way I raise my carbs up. You'd have to check, but if you do a big ass salad every day with plentiful veggies... maybe a full avocado spread out throughout the day... one apple... and some mixed veggies with dinner you could get it up higher. I eat a banana every day or two as well....
                    sigpic "Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Comment

I vote for berries.

Comment

Originally posted by Pandadude View Post
                        How many carbs do you need? And you can't do starch even when mixed with other foods like in a stew or something?
                        About the honey: Theres a study where some folks are fed 10 tablespoons of honey a day for a month in addition to their regular diets, and none of em gained weight. It still feels like a lot of fructose though..
                        I have been having as few as 20g and no more than 50g for over 6 months now, I'm thinking that I need to at least get over 50g perhaps even up to the 100g range. It's something I'm going to have to play with. I haven't tried to put starchy foods in a stew, but here in Aus it's hitting summer (32 degrees C today) so not really stew weather

Originally posted by canadianwoman View Post
                        Do you like parsnips? Turnips? Rutabagas? They would help you raise your carbs.
                        Again, coming into summer those things are not in season, I think I would find this much easier if I were in the northern hemisphere and could do pot roasts and stews.

Originally posted by tarek View Post
                        As far as the GERD problem goes, try drinking ginger tea about ten to twenty minutes prior to consuming a starchy food. Alternatively, you could take a DGL pill ten to twenty minutes in advance. Be sure to get the chewable kind. "DGL" is an acronym for "de-glycyrrhizinated licorice." It's a licorice extract that has had its glycyrrhizin (a compound linked to high blood pressure) content removed. I find that it's extremely effective for dealing with any sort of digestive upset, including heartburn. Many people use it for this exclusively.
                        I will look for that, thanks! I've never even heard of it.

Originally posted by Lojasmo View Post
                        I vote for berries.
                        Good idea, I love berries

Great ideas from everyone, thanks so much. I will play with adding a bit more fruit, some nuts, raw carrot in my salad and perhaps some honey or maple syrup in my coffee. I only drink 1-2 per day so it won't be too much fructose for my body to handle I don't think.

Thanks again
                        My Journal

Comment

VLC as a cause of your thyroid stuff? Are you sure it's not the nutrient deficiencies that often occur with low carb? Selenium being a biggie with conversion to T3....

Have you tried significant amounts of digeestive enzymes and probiotics to deal with the reflux? I seem to be having some moderate success on that front.

K

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Comment

Originally posted by cillakat View Post
                            VLC as a cause of your thyroid stuff? Are you sure it's not the nutrient deficiencies that often occur with low carb? Selenium being a biggie with conversion to T3....

Have you tried significant amounts of digeestive enzymes and probiotics to deal with the reflux? I seem to be having some moderate success on that front.

K
                            I take a selenium supplement so I don't think that's it. I have read a number of sources stating that VLC is associated with poor T4 to T3 conversion, so I am going to give it a try. As for the enzymes and probiotics, I do use these already, however I have found the only consistant way to keep myself off PPI meds is to not eat starchy foods. This is a problem I've been dealing with for 20 years and my family has a history of problems in this area (my Dad died at 54 from eosophageal cancer after a lifetime of GERD). I also have eosinophilic eosophagitis and a defect called a schatzki ring which has landed me in the ER several times with a bolus of food lodged in my gullet.

Anyway, thanks for the tips, whether increasing my carbs will improve the issue by virtue of increased nutrient density or just on it's own, I'll give it a try and see whether it helps.
                            My Journal

Comment

Originally posted by NourishedEm View Post
                              I take a selenium supplement so I don't think that's it. I have read a number of sources stating that VLC is associated with poor T4 to T3 conversion, so I am going to give it a try. As for the enzymes and probiotics, I do use these already, however I have found the only consistant way to keep myself off PPI meds is to not eat starchy foods. This is a problem I've been dealing with for 20 years and my family has a history of problems in this area (my Dad died at 54 from eosophageal cancer after a lifetime of GERD). I also have eosinophilic eosophagitis and a defect called a schatzki ring which has landed me in the ER several times with a bolus of food lodged in my gullet.

Anyway, thanks for the tips, whether increasing my carbs will improve the issue by virtue of increased nutrient density or just on it's own, I'll give it a try and see whether it helps.
                              Sweet potatoes really give me reflux also. Regular potatoes don't, though. It's too bad b/c I'd much prefer a sweet potato. Anyway, I have Hashi's and I'm telling you that I am much better off with 80-100 g carbs/day. I tried VLC and felt miserable. I eat about 20 g at each meal/snack and feel much better. So I understand. I don't think everyone is made to consume so few carbs.

I'd say honey isn't bad in a couple drinks. Or dark chocolate covered almonds (or my fave dark chocolate dipped berries). You're going into summer and I'm going into winter, so I'm going to miss those beautiful dark chocolate dipped raspberries and strawberries!

Comment

Working...
                              X