Question about Morning Coffee

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about Morning Coffee

OK, I've been dabbling with the idea of Primal nutrition for a while, and I'd like to do a more strict experiment over the next couple of weeks - no grain and no dairy. One of the questions I have, though, involves my breakfast, which is always coffee and a hard-boiled egg. (I know I'm boring) I know the egg is Primal, but my coffee usually involves milk and sugar - I find black coffee to be too bitter. What could I put in my coffee to cut the bitterness a bit?

coconut milk.....

Comment

It's so bloody tasty

Comment

Green tea?

Comment

Originally posted by Lojasmo View Post
          Green tea?
          I have never been able to get green tea to fill my coffee shaped hole.

Comment

Shoot, even a few drops of stevia curbs the taste a bit. I learned that when I was trying to sweeten my coffee with it, and it took more than I thought. 5-7 drops of stevia just takes the edge off. I have to put in twice that to actually make it sweet.

Comment

If you are into dairy, Heavy cream is great. I always add 1.5 TBSP of Heavy Cream in my morning coffee. So delicious! You will also get a good dose of healthy fats.......

Comment

Have you looked for a less bitter coffee? Perhaps Sumatra.
                Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Comment

i think that's the key - buy a good roast & you won't want to kill it w/ sweet stuff. We have 2 coffees at work & one is a horrible dirt brew and the other is seattle's best, which is pretty good for industrial service coffee. Anyway - the only people who can drink the dirt brew are the ones who dump multiple packets of sugar and hydrogenated oil creamer in it.

Try a different roast of coffee - maybe there's a local roaster in your town? I'm lucky that we have one that i really like.

Comment

I agree with the coconut milk!!!!

Comment

I like a good dose of organic half&half with a small dash of maple syrup. You might also want to look into the Aeropress. It's a cool (and cheap) little device to brew coffee that makes it easy to brew a great cup without the bitterness.

Comment

I love evaporated milk in my coffee, it's perfect, and I'm disappointed no one else seems to agree with me. I never sweetened my cuppa (unless I was hungover), so I can't suggest a replacement. But I was a huge sugar junkie, and one thing I've really noticed since cutting the grain & sugar is that evap milk now tastes very sweet to me (along with lots of things - I always thought "sweet" potato was about as accurate as "Greenland"). I frequently sip it straight from the can - I know it's not totally primal, but I can't see it being much worse than straight cream.

My real point, I think, is if you really get serious about ditching the grains & sweets, your may find your tastes change pretty noticeably.

edit: d'oh, you said "...and no dairy", sorry. Oh well, the last part is still good.
                        Last edited by bUMbLeB; 10-23-2010, 04:10 PM. Reason: reading comprehension fail

Comment

Wow, thanks for all the advice! I like to think my coffee is of pretty high quality - it's definitely better than the swill we're served at work, and better than the swill one gets at Starbucks - but I will look into other beans and other brewing methods (I use a moka pot). And I will definitely try coconut milk in it - that sounds intriguing.

I like heavy cream in coffee, but I'm trying to do a no-dairy experiment to see if it solves my skin issues. I've got rosacea, it's worsening, and I'd like to see if I can make it go away by dietary means. I'm really not much of a sugar junkie; I'm perfectly OK giving up sweets, and I don't miss them - but black coffee with no sugar or milk just tastes awful to me. Hence the question.

Comment

You could try putting some salt on top of the grounds in the filter. About 1/4 tsp should do. That should cut down the bitterness a bit.

Comment

Good freshly roasted coffee doesn't need any additions...improve your coffee quality and coffee making skills. Starbucks coffee is only average at best but it is still good enough to not need milk or sugar. Get rid of the extras and re-adjust your taste buds to what freshly roasted tastes like...

Comment

Working...
                              X