Contradiction on what to eat the most of: fat or veggies/fruits

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Contradiction on what to eat the most of: fat or veggies/fruits

So I read one of the articles that says you need to get the majority of your calories from FATS because carbs from veggies just "aren't enough" and protein is not an energy souce - protein is mostly a repair source. Hence, we need to get the majority of calories from fat.

Okay, so then I look at the food pyramid and at the bottom of the food pyramid is veggies/fruits. Huh? Shouldn't the bottom be fats? So which are we supposed to be eating more of, veggies/fruits and fats?
    Also, I thought fruits were supposed to be strictly limited, if eaten at all. Why are they at the bottom of the pyramid?

What percentage of fats/protein/veggies is your daily diet?

Bulk-wise, you will be eating more vegetables, calorie-wise more fat. A cup of butter =/= a cup of brocolli. Calorie intake should be around 60/20/20, but your individual diet may vary.

Comment

veggies are the basis for my diet--lots of salad. and they should be for any PBer out there (except maybe some who are trying to keep their carbs really low). the reason we add fat is because there are more calories per gram so that we are not starving ourselves and have the energy we need to go about our days or wrestle a bear to the ground.
      fat also keeps you full, so that you are less likely to snack on crap.
      the reason fat isn't at the bottom of the pyramid is so because it is so calorie dense that if we ate more visible amounts of fat than anything else, we would be going way over on calorie consumption. my diet is 60-70% fat, but i'm still eating way more vegetables than i am meat or eggs or dairy.
      http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60178.html

Comment

9 ounces (big bag) of spinach = 59 calories.
        1 ounce of butter (large pat) = 202 calories.
        Add them together in a pan, and you have what looks like a ton of yummy spinach, but is about 80% fat by calories.
        If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Comment

I tend to follow a perfect health diet like food pattern. More veggies by weight, more fat/meat by calories. And do what works for you.
          n=1 n=1 n=1 n=1 and repeat

Comment

gosurf - you know that the food pyramid IS the stereotypically perfect Standard American Diet, right?

Primal (or Paleo) ways of eating have zero to do with SAD.

You need to stop referencing the SAD diet rules once you start your new WOE.
            Because if you didn't know, of that is life made: only of moments; Don't lose the now.
            ~Borges

Comment

Originally posted by say_rahhh View Post
              gosurf - you know that the food pyramid IS the stereotypically perfect Standard American Diet, right?

Yes but the pyramid that's being discussed is the PB pyramid which is in the book. Fruit and veg are at the bottom on that.

Comment

It's not a contradiction. Rather, there are two different types of measurement at play:

Produce will represent the greatest bulk, or volume, of your meals.

Fats will represent the greatest percentage of your caloric intake.

I typically consume 60-70% fat, 20% protein, and 10-20% carb (by calorie, not volume).
                Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Comment

sayrahhh, I wasn't referring to the U.S. food pyramid but the food pyramid that Mark put on his website.

Comment

Oopsie! haha- got it. I see "food pyramid" and I automatically think SAD- sorry.

I did read the PB. Just once, then I lent it out, never to be seen again apparently.
                    Because if you didn't know, of that is life made: only of moments; Don't lose the now.
                    ~Borges

Comment

Oopsie! haha- got it. I see "food pyramid" and I automatically think SAD- sorry.

I did read the PB. Just once, then I lent it out, never to be seen again apparently.
                      Maybe they lent it out too and it is making its way from one hand to another to enlighten the world
                      Meghan

My MDA journal

Primal Ponderings- my blog- finally added some food pron :P

And best of all my Body Fat Makeover!!

Comment

Originally posted by tfarny View Post
                        9 ounces (big bag) of spinach = 59 calories.
                        1 ounce of butter (large pat) = 202 calories.
                        Add them together in a pan, and you have what looks like a ton of yummy spinach, but is about 80% fat by calories.

A pat means something different over there, then; a pat of butter for us is around 250g (just under 9oz) and is around 750kcals. I certainly wouldn't want to cook 250g spinach in 250g butter!
                        La tristesse durera toujours...

Comment

Originally posted by NutMeg View Post
                          Maybe they lent it out too and it is making its way from one hand to another to enlighten the world

I lent mine to a mate - now she's flatly refusing to return it! It's MINE, damnit - getcha own copy!
                          La tristesse durera toujours...

Comment

Originally posted by Shrinking_Violet View Post
                            A pat means something different over there, then; a pat of butter for us is around 250g (just under 9oz) and is around 750kcals. I certainly wouldn't want to cook 250g spinach in 250g butter!
                            Why not? Spinach is a classic garnish for good butter.
                            If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Comment

Originally posted by tfarny View Post
                              Why not? Spinach is a classic garnish for good butter.
                              Nice!

Comment

Working...
                              X