Want to get off Zoloft :/

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Want to get off Zoloft :/

I have a bad case of social anxiety and sometimes I get a bit panicky and my heart starts to race. I have mild depression occasionally at night but it's tolerable.
    I've been on 50mg of Zoloft for about 3 1/2 months. It seems to be working great... However I've read a lot of bad stuff about it, like it can block mineral/vitamin absorption. And I think it may be responsible for my weight loss plateau.

I want to get off this medication...I don't think it's fixing the root cause of my problem...i've had this anxiety most of my life and going primal helped a little bit...

I heard some good stuff about 5-HTP and l-Tryptophan, like it can restore the serotonin in your brain. Anyone have some experience/knowledge with those?
    I'd appreciate any suggestions

(btw i supplement with fish oil, magnesium, multivitamin, coq10, and vit d and i eat about 80% primal)

We (our family) takes 5-HTP, and we feel alot better on it, D3 helps too!

What every you do, dont go off without medical help, you have to wean off of it, I imagine you were told that when you started taking it, but that is serious stuff when people just stop taking it!
    Redflame
    Started PB Aug 9, 2010 then let 'stuff' get in the way
    Back to start and make a fantastic 2012
    Goal of Significant Weight Loss
    15 pounds down! with more to go!

Comment

Freedish,

PLEASE see this thread:
      http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...599#post237599

You could be suffering a lack of D3 and B12, very common sources for depression.

Best of luck to you,
      Grizz

Comment

I have had fantastic results with 5-HTP; I keep a death grip on my bottle. Stops binge eating cold.

Sunshine and exercise helps.

P.S. I totally agree with RedFlame's comments about quitting Zoloft. You're gonna need to taper and will need professional help with that. And, yes, it is very likely causing your plateau.
        Last edited by TigerLily; 10-22-2010, 02:15 PM.
        "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Comment

I've had very severe panic attacks (years ago, but the effects last years). Be careful with 5-HTP. The different brands have very different qualities. One I took had very little effect. One made me very disturbingly disjointed and paranoid. Just BE AWARE of the effects that drugs are having on you.
          carl's cave

Comment

i am a true believer that mental problems are the result of malnutrition and the ability to accept getting better... you may want to scan through my blog, as it may help you.

obviously, i have been on a depression pill before, about 3-4 years ago. i last about 6 mths when i decided i was not relying on something else to make me a sane person when the real truth lie in my acceptance of myself and my ability to get better
            Get on my Level
            http://malpaz.wordpress.com/

Comment

@redflame
              yeah i would never just quit cold turkey lol. when u say your family feels 'better' what do you mean? Overall mental health or did your family suffer from anx/depression?
              @grizz
              I will check that out...but isn't D3 the same as vitamin d (choleciferol?) I take about 2400IU's on days where i dont get sun. should i be taking more? thanks!
              @carl
              what brand are you taking? and did it help your panic attacks?
              @mal
              thanks mal, I read your blog occasionally, you inspire me I agree that proper nutrition exercise sun and sleep makes a world of difference. But there is a point where our hectic 21st century lives become too overwhelming for some.

Comment

Originally posted by Freedish View Post
                I have a bad case of social anxiety and sometimes I get a bit panicky and my heart starts to race. I have mild depression occasionally at night but it's tolerable.
                I've been on 50mg of Zoloft for about 3 1/2 months. It seems to be working great... However I've read a lot of bad stuff about it, like it can block mineral/vitamin absorption. And I think it may be responsible for my weight loss plateau.

I want to get off this medication...I don't think it's fixing the root cause of my problem...i've had this anxiety most of my life and going primal helped a little bit...

I heard some good stuff about 5-HTP and l-Tryptophan, like it can restore the serotonin in your brain. Anyone have some experience/knowledge with those?
                I'd appreciate any suggestions

(btw i supplement with fish oil, magnesium, multivitamin, coq10, and vit d and i eat about 80% primal)
                Both L-Trytophan and 5-HTP will make you drowsy so, if you're taking them for anything other than getting to sleep, DON'T bother! They're both precursors to melatonin, so will make you sleepy.

For anti-anxiety without the dopey feeling, L-Theanine's what you want (make sure you look for a supplement containing Suntheanine - I take Doctor's Best Suntheanine 150mg $15.74 or there's NOW Foods slightly stronger (though more expensive) 200mg for $19.11 - both iHerb.)

I've had great success with the Dr.'s Best (thanks to HazyJane for recommending it to me).

There's also St. John's Wort, but it's not without its side effects.

Finally, if you think Zoloft's worst side effect is malabsorption, think again!

Side-effects for Zoloft, taken from the BNF* (generic name sertaline - we call it Lustral)

pancreatitis, hepatitis, jaundice, liver failure, stomatitis, palpitation, hypertension, hypercholesterolaemia, tachycardia, postural hypotension, bronchospasm, amnesia, paraesthesia, aggression, hypoglycaemia, hypothyroidism, hyperprolactinaemia, urinary incontinence, menstrual irregularities, leucopenia, and tinnitus also reported

*British National Formulary - the standard text use by all British medical bods, containing dosing info, side-effects, contraindications, drug pricing, etc.
                La tristesse durera toujours...

Comment

Feels better: not so edgy, not biting anyones head off (we have teenagers) and Husb had hip replacement and then out of work, and he typically would have gone into a very deep depression, and he has not. Occationally he forgets to take it, and after about a week I can tell, I will ask him (after he blows up over something stupid like dropping a fork) and then he confesses he has not been taking it. Everyone in the house runs to get him the bottle!
                  Redflame
                  Started PB Aug 9, 2010 then let 'stuff' get in the way
                  Back to start and make a fantastic 2012
                  Goal of Significant Weight Loss
                  15 pounds down! with more to go!

Comment

Originally posted by Freedish
                    @grizz
                    I will check that out...but isn't D3 the same as vitamin d (choleciferol?) I take about 2400IU's on days where i dont get sun. should i be taking more? thanks!
                    Freedish. D3 is not the same as D. D3 is a gelltab liquid superior to any other forms. You must have 1,000 IU D3 per 25 lbs of body weight. I take 10,000 IU daily. A good friend was ordered by his doctor to take 20,000 IU daily to "Be Sure of Getting Enough." Overdosing on Vitamin D is arguably 40,000 IU Daily or double that number depending on which expert study you follow. Check your blood for Vitamin B12 deficiency per that link I gave you.

This just came in: Cure Depression Naturally
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8xYz...eature=channel

Best to you,
                    Grizz
                    Last edited by Grizz; 10-22-2010, 03:15 PM.

Comment

For B12, you could just try taking some of the methyl form (methylcobalamin instead of the usual cyanocobalamin) and see if it improves how you feel. If it does, then you needed B12. Take a tablet under the tongue, let it dissolve there so it goes straight into the blood stream.

I REALLY saw the difference from the first dose! My sleep patterns reverted to what they had been as a young person. It also improves small muscle dexterity.

Comment

Originally posted by Freedish View Post
                        I've successfully treated severe, debilitating anxiety and significant depression with orthomolecular treatment. Recently, I did do a month of Lexapro for a situational depressive episode, am off of it now (no taper) and am doing incredibly well with just my regular vitamins.

Depression Free Naturally is an excellent resource. Much better than The Mood Cure.
                        Using inositol for promoting brain wellness: an interview with Robert Belmaker, MD
                        http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...lar#post147911
                        http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...lar#post200584
                        http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...lar#post177977
                        http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...lar#post164710
                        Last edited by cillakat; 10-22-2010, 04:16 PM.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Comment

Originally posted by Grizz View Post
                          Freedish. D3 is not the same as D. D3 is a gelltab liquid superior to any other forms. You must have 1,000 IU D3 per 25 lbs of body weight. I take 10,000 IU daily. A good friend was ordered by his doctor to take 20,000 IU daily to "Be Sure of Getting Enough." Overdosing on Vitamin D is arguably 40,000 IU Daily or double that number depending on which expert study you follow. Check your blood for Vitamin B12 deficiency per that link I gave you.

This just came in: Cure Depression Naturally
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8xYz...eature=channel

Best to you,
                          Grizz

Freedish - you're confused D3 IS cholecalciferol. D2 is synthetically manufactured, is that what you meant...? I've never heard of a bottle just being labelled 'D'. As Grizz says, you need 1,000UI per 25lb bodyweight.

@CillaKat - I think I need to start resupplementing with B12, I've just placed an iHerb order too, damnit - and it's shipped! Even with charges, buying from over there works out FAR cheaper for me as the tabs/caps they're allowed to sell over here are so weak they're virtually useless!
                          La tristesse durera toujours...

Comment

Originally posted by Shrinking_Violet View Post
                            Freedish - you're confused D3 IS cholecalciferol. D2 is synthetically manufactured, is that what you meant...? I've never heard of a bottle just being labelled 'D'. As Grizz says, you need 1,000UI per 25lb bodyweight.
                            yes i was very confused haha, thanks for clearing that up. i currently take about 2400ui of d3 (cholecalciferol). I guess at 185 lbs I should be taking 7000UI. Thanks!

@ cillakat
                            Thanks so much, I'll take a look at your journal

Comment

I totally agree with RedFlame's comments about quitting Zoloft. You're gonna need to taper and will need professional help with that. And, yes, it is very likely causing your plateau.
                              +1 on all of it.

Various mental health links: http://goo.gl/lists/lAg7
                              Read everything at evolutionarypsychiatry.blogspot.com

It can be tough to get professional help that knows what they're doing wrt getting off meds. It's easiest to taper of tablets (v capsules)....cutting of a tiny fraction (an eighth or so), sticking there for a week, then a cut off a quarter every day, taking 3/4 for a week etc etc. I wasn't so meticulous

Before stopping the meds, get everything else in place first
                              :
                              1) read Depression Free Naturally
                              2) get perfect sleep. every. single. night. be asleep by no later than 10 pm and get a full night's sleep for a full month before weaning off the drug.
                              3) get primal exercise: movement that gets heart rate to 55-75% of MHR for 5-7h per week, lift heavy stuff 3-4x/week, HIIT/sprint every 7-10 days.
                              4) start all appropriate supplements except for tryptophan/5-htp based on results of questionnaires in the book (I caution against 5-htp):
                              • p5p (coenzymated form of b6) if indicated (see my linked anxiety doc below)

• 5-MTHF (coenzymated form of folic acid) if inidicated (see my linked anxiety doc below)

• coenzymated b complex Jigsaw Health Activated B is the best one by far.
                              if it's too pricey, try Jarrow B Right

• b12 is not likely an issue but it's also cheap and not harmful
                              (see linked anxiety doc below)

• sufficient zinc every day from food/supplements
                              (see linked supplement/anxiety docs below)

• SAM-e is an effective tx for depression. it makes some anxious but for me it
                              was like a mood stabilizer. It just made me calmer and flattened out my affect
                              in a weird but cool way. My ability to respond emotionally and connect emotionally
                              just went away- good in some situations bad in others. I didn't cry for about 6 years
                              while taking it.

• sufficient D3 every day--you really are going to have to test. It's $38 for the
                              remainder of the month from directlabs.com. they use labcorp

• get lots of magnesium (350-1000mg per day from all sources)
                              Magnesium posts and info http://goo.gl/lists/HwSn
                              it's worth spending on Jigsaw Health's Magnesium w/SRT

• limit calcium intake to 250-500 mg total from all sources

• inositol - 1 TBSP 3x per day (yes, it's a lot but it's cheap, easy to take and effective)
                              has a tiny bit of maltodextrin added, tastes mildly sweet - very easy to take
                              Now Foods, Inositol Powder, 4 oz (113 g)
                              Now Foods, Inositol Powder, 8 oz (227 g)
                              • fish oil with more DHA than EPA. track your Ω3 and Ω6 ratios to insure 1:1 ratios
                              Now Foods, DHA-500, 500 DHA / 250 EPA, 180 Softgels

• minimize polyunsaturated fatty acid intake overall, maintain Ω3 to Ω6 1:1, increase
                              sat fat intake as needed to maintain appropriate fat intake.

• decrease or eliminate fructose

• consider ketoadapting

5) start tryptophan if needed, though it probably won't be once you have nutrition, other supplements, sleep and exercise in order.
                              Last edited by cillakat; 10-23-2010, 08:20 AM.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Comment

Working...
                              X