Fluttery feeling in throat/chest since Primal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fluttery feeling in throat/chest since Primal

For a while I have experienced this fluttery feeling in my throat or throat and chest. It is usually at night, but sometimes like right now during the day also. Usually it is brief, but it has been going on for a good 15-20 minutes today. I just googled it and am getting lots of different responses. I do have a heart murmur and mytro valve prolapse neither of which have ever caused me any problems. I am reading that it may be anxiety/panic attacks, but I don't feel anxious. Any one ever experience any thing like this?

Originally posted by betty74 View Post
    For a while I have experienced this fluttery feeling in my throat or throat and chest.
    Lots of possible causes. MVP can cause palpitations. Panic attack variant. Overactive thyroid, anemia, electrical disturbance of heart rhythm (arrhythmia), etc. Many possibilities; some more likely than others depending on your age, other problems, meds you take, etc. This should be sorted out by your family doctor. May not be serious but not to be ignored. Go see him or her.
    Never eat anything bigger than your own head.

Comment

I am 36 with no medical issues. I take supplements, but no meds. I just took my blood pressure and it was 104/73 pulse of 57. I do need to find a good doctor and have a check up. I just hate going to doctors and never getting answers.

I should mention this has only been since trying to go Primal. Not sure if it is related.

Comment

I was getting that until I cut back on my coffee severely. I think, for me, it was a panic-type reaction. Are you a coffee drinker?

Comment

I have one maybe two cups per day and it takes me forever to drink them.

Comment

I am 36 with no medical issues. I take supplements, but no meds. I just took my blood pressure and it was 104/73 pulse of 57. I do need to find a good doctor and have a check up. I just hate going to doctors and never getting answers.

I should mention this has only been since trying to go Primal. Not sure if it is related.
            Definitely do find a good doctor!

Anyway, how long have you been trying to go Primal, and how low are your carbs? Heart palpitations can be a symptom of ketosis...
            The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

Comment

I have one maybe two cups per day and it takes me forever to drink them.
              My husband finds that even just having one cup of coffee makes him more likely to get heart palpitations. His cardiologist confirmed that some folk are just sensitive to the caffeine. Could you try eliminating caffeine for a week or so to see if it helps?
              The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

Comment

Originally posted by Joe View Post
                This should be sorted out by your family doctor. May not be serious but not to be ignored. Go see him or her.
                This cannot be stressed strongly enough. If you don't have a doctor, find one. There is a vanishing chance that this is serious but that minuscule percentage is potentially deadly. The fact that it has continued for 20 minutes and is continuing (if I'm reading the post correctly) is troubling.
                Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

Comment

I have the same thing but has been going on for a bit longer than when I started Primal. One thing that just rang a bell for me was that I had been consuming alot more coffee- tho a lot of it was decaf (still has lots of caffeine) - the last few months. I had not had coffee this week until today and the sensation had subsided quite a bit. I'm having a half-caf coffee as we speak and will try and be aware if I get the sensation again and will post if I do.
                  Thanks for this post - I was curious about it myself since I never had that feeling before either.

Comment

Ok. to reiterate a few things and ad on...
                    1) Do try to cut out the caffeine. I found that on a primal diet I became more sensitive to caffein personally. I do decaf in my latte and its ok but I can still tell there is even that small amount of caffeine there. (and I used to down cups of regular without a second thought!)

2) Check your pulse. See if the fluttery feeling matches your pulse. I had some anxiety issues last year and I would FEEL as though my heart was racing but in reality it was a slow and steady 60. That is good information to have because an actual arrhythmia IS more concerning then just feeling funny.

3) Do find a good doctor, you might consider looking for a natropathic doctor as they seem to be more in tune with using diet to treat illness and such.

4) If you can't find a doctor quickly and/or you are concerned enough about what your heart is doing right now there are a couple options. Go to the ER to get checked (or an urgent care clinic), or get someone to drive you down to your local firestation (if they also run the ambulance) and ask if they would mind just taking a look. Then based on what they find (and they should be able to run an EKG too) they can recommend if they think you should go to the ER or not.

Comment

I don't think it is the coffee. Most of the time it is in the evening when this has happened and I don't generally drink coffee in the evening unless at a football game and it has never happened then. Today was the first time that it is happened in the morning and for any length of time. I am going to try to remember to write down when it happens each time and see if I am find a trigger. I am actually wondering if it has anything to do with dehydration. I hadn't had any water yet and it seems to have subsided after I drank a big cup. ???

My pulse was actually off today, which isn't always the case. I could feel the skipped heartbeat associated with MVP today.

I also noticed that my blood pressure was lower than normal. At least the top number. Don't know if that has anything to do with it.

I started trying Primal around Aug. I think and have been kinda hit and miss. I do great during the week and not so great on the weekends. During the week I think my carbs are pretty low. I track what I eat on paper, but haven't been putting tracking specific lately.

I feel fine now. I did my workout and was a bit more winded then usual, but was fine.

Comment

Magnesium?

I use "magnesium oil" which is a brine you rub on the skin. Taking mag by mouth gives me the runs.

Magnesium helps heart rhythms a lot. Possibly going Primal, or maybe something in your supplementation, like Vitamin D, has upset the calcium/magnesium balance. If you started taking a lot of D when you hadn't before, you might be absorbing more calcium. Sometimes it's hard to keep adequate magnesium in one's system.

Comment

Do you eat coconut milk or oil ? If yes, I would say put it away for a month or 2 and see if it is still happening

Comment

I take a magnesium supplement and have been for a while now.

I also use coconut milk frequently and coconut oil a lot. I have been using the oil for probably a year so I wouldn't think it would be that.

I have been fine the rest of the day and nothing tonight, which is generally when it happens.

I appreciate all the thoughts/advice and will be paying attention to the things mentioned.

Comment

go to the doctor anyway. they can see if your heart has been stressed for any reason. yeah, it could be diet related, hopefully it is. but do you really want to screw with that? rule out the bad stuff, first. you can't do that yourself! it is worth the trouble and hassle. i work in a dental office and see a lot of heart problems in younger patients. it can happen.

Comment

Working...
                              X