Embarassing question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Embarassing question

Ok so I have googled this and I can't find the answer so I thought I would ask here. Why do bone broths -both beef and chicken - make me gassy. Gassy like in my vegan days!!! This has always happened to me. But I have a whole freezer of homemade broths and I just made some stew with the beef broth and - uch, the gas.

So any theories?
    Home birthing legal mama. Unschooler. Jewish Intactivist (step away from the foreskin!). Full-term breastfeeder. Kettlebell padawan.

Perhaps it is a certain ingredient in the broth? What's in the broth you are eating?
    Remember, you are unique just like everybody else.

Comment

just bones and carrots and onions
      Home birthing legal mama. Unschooler. Jewish Intactivist (step away from the foreskin!). Full-term breastfeeder. Kettlebell padawan.

Comment

Too many onions used to kick my gut into rumbling in the past.....and I think I had a similar problem with my bone broths as well because of it. Was not 100% sure, never tested it as my digestion has calmed down quite a bit in general.
        Erin
        Daily Vlogs
        Primal Pets Blog

Comment

Onions. It's got to be the onions.

Comment

Enjoy your broth and just pass out gas masks ;--))

OR ELSE.....

Best to all,
            Grizz

Comment

have you tried the broth without onions yet?
              my primal journal:
              http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...Primal-Journal

Comment

i haven't yet but i have been expiramenting with onions and i do think that is the cause! amazing! i made a dish with lots of onions and chicken and i had to just throw it out because of the pain. then i ate over at my parents' and had some onions- same thing. next time i make broth i am definitely leaving it out. i never would have linked the two (i am not very good at that stuff) but now that i have things are feeling a lot better.

Comment

Hmmm. Run a search here within MDA. I seem to recall this has been discussed before (possibly on Mark's daily blog?). Something-something about needing to roast the bones first. I do not believe it's the onions, otherwise anything you ate with onions would have the same effect, and it doesn't seem like that's the case. Anyway, yeah, run a search....
                  "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Comment

i did roast the bones beforehand. actually they were double roasted. once when i cooked the chicken and then i roasted them some more. it is the onions. i can now tell when i eat onions that i have eaten them. it explains the pains in the stomach and the gas. i had never put two and two together. but i keep expiramenting and it keeps coming down to this.

Comment

My hubby can't eat anything with cooked onions. Raw seem to be ok, but if he eats even a tiny bit of cooked onion, particularly carmelized onions, we're all in pain. It's wretched. He's in pain and none of us can breathe, lol.

Comment

I've researched this a bit, and it turns out it's not such a simple issue to diagnose. Although there are certain foods we commonly associate as gas-inducing, different people seem to have very different reactions to the same foods. The most common causes of gas seem to result from consumption of:

- Foods with a good amount of soluble fiber. Many (most?) fruits and veggies fall into this category.

- Foods with a lot of fructose, or high fructose/glucose ratio (e.g., apples, pears)

- Foods with a good amount of sorbitol (e.g., apples, prunes)

When I cut grains and junk food from my diet, gas went waaaaaay way down. But I wasn't eating a whole lot of veggies. Recently I started trying to increase my veggie & fruit intake. I started eating substantially more peppers, onions, celery, apples, prunes, carrots (and a few others) than usual. The result was an immediate, stunning increase in noxious emissions. I'm in the process of identifying the main culprits. So far, believe it or not, celery is looking the most guilty.

Comment

I wonder if Beano would help?

Comment

The problem with onions most often times isn't actually a problem with onions but with your gut instead. Onions are full of lots of compounds both good for your health and also for the health of the bacteria in your intestines. Problem with the last bit of that is that the onion doesn't differentiate between feeding good bacteria and bad bacteria. What this means is that if your intestinal bacteria is more malicious than beneficial (very easy if you're too used to a "normal" diet or have EVER taken antibiotics) then the onions will foster the growth of these bad bacteria. As the bad bacteria feeds on these compounds they produce more gas than the standard good bacteria would and can increase GI discomfort.

Have you ever gone on a probiotic regimen?
                            "You can demonstrate the purpose and limits of human digestion with a simple experiment: eat a steak with some whole corn kernels, and see what comes out the other end. It won’t be the steak."
                            -J.Stanton

Comment

Good news on finding the culprit. I used to react to both too much garlic and too many onions. I am better now, but I still avoid dishes with a high concentration of either. Red onions seem worse for me then white or yellow.....I think. Could just be that I had a dish once that made me feel super bad and it had tons of red onions in it and just made me averse to them in general.

As a side note, garlic is known for causing die off symptoms of Candida overgrowth (bloating, fatigue, etc), and I have heard mention that onions, leeks and other veggies in the same family as garlic can do the same thing. Something to think about.
                              Erin
                              Daily Vlogs
                              Primal Pets Blog

Comment

Working...
                              X