New guy. :) I have some question?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New guy. :) I have some question?

Hello fellow primals. I used to be fat and heavily overweight. Lost about 43kg. And I did that by eating 5-6 times a day etc. I lost too much. And my diet had zero fat and almost zero carbs. That with lifting weights 5-6 days a week. AND ALOT OF WATER.

Anyway. The thing I got was chronic constipation. And I am always pretty scared to get it back. So I eat carbs with high fibres like oats, flax seeds and brown rice.

And now I have huge interest for this primal way of living. And I wonder...what should I eat that is good with the primal blueprint and also makes sure your belly is doing the right work.

Anyone of you guys had the same problem? Does this diet even have fibres in it?
    Where should a primal get his fibers and other nutrients that help the bowels move?

Thanks

Heaps of leafy green vegetables, Fish Oil and kefir do it for me!!!

Comment

Vegetables have plenty of fiber and are chock full of vitamins and minerals that the human body needs (unlike the bread related fibers), however there are plenty of people on here who are eating basically only meat products and doing just fine.....in fact we recently had someone post a question about beef and constipation, the fact is that you would poop less because there would be less waste product from the digestion of foods your body actually wants/needs to eat. Also fats do a great job of keeping things regular.
      My whole life, I've felt like an animal......but I've ignored my instincts. I ignored what I really am. That will never happen again.

My blog

Comment

I have to say, constipation is NOT something I've had to worry about since eating PB - quite the reverse! I think lots of fat, veg and meat keeps all running smoothly!

Comment

So you guys dont eat OATS, Brown rice?

Comment

Nope
            My whole life, I've felt like an animal......but I've ignored my instincts. I ignored what I really am. That will never happen again.

My blog

Comment

Originally posted by Resaj View Post
              I used to love oatmeal.

Very surprisingly, I've eaten just about EVERY "forbidden" food under the PB guidelines (remember, these are just guidelines, the final decision is always yours) except for oatmeal. It really surprises me that one of my favorite foods has no appeal to me anymore. It doesn't do much for you and raises your blood sugar like crazy. Give it up slow, reduce your overall consumption little by little. I did it cold turkey, but that's because I'm into messing with my comfort and seeing if I can adapt. Doesn't work for all folks, and could have contributed to the slip ups I had. Welcome and best of luck!
              I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

I used to love oatmeal aswell. Had it every morning for at least 5 years. Decided to do primal blueprint one day and have only been on it a week but now it no longer appeals to me. I poo better now since starting PB, and the other thing is after my oatmeal about 2 hours later i would be starving again, but now can go usually until lunchtime depending on what I ate for brekky.
                http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread45312.html[SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by Resaj View Post
                  Or corm, or wheat, or beans, for the most part. Lots of veggies, and animal parts, though. Your diet was probably too lean.

Comment

For all you oatmeal lovers, I have something for you. I've been eating this for the past week due to tonsilitis as solid food made me want to cry.

Main Ingredients
                    2/3 cup coconut milk
                    1/4 cup unsweetened coconut
                    3 T almond flour

Optional Ingredients:
                    1 tsp vanilla
                    sweetener of choice ( i use stevia)
                    Berries

Heat the milk in a small sauce pan until it just starts to bubble and then mix all the other ingredients in. Let it simmer and stir occasionally until you get the thickness/consistency you want. Takes about 10 minutes for me.

This shit is super easy and OH MY GOD DELICIOUS.

You are welcome.

Comment

I am only on my fifth day on PB, and I haven't had any problems with constipation so far. I have definitely noticed a decrease in "volume," but I don't feel like anything is stopped up- and I'm also pretty paranoid about that, as I've had some problems in the past. I have been eating a lot of veggies, and I don't know if that's what's helping or if it's the increased fat.

If you are really worried, I would suggest having a carrot or two after dinner. They always keep me moving. Just don't have too many at first- aren't they pretty starchy for a veggie?

~Katie

Comment

I used to be hooked on oatmeal...in fact, during one of the challenge month quizzes, I declared it as my 20% because I still had a little bit every morning. Shortly after, I decided to ditch it and switch to bacon and eggs. Never looked back and don't miss it now.

On the constipation issue, I've been primal for almost 3 months and it's *finally* eased for me. It was the only issue I faced that I wasn't happy about. Increased fat didn't seem to help. I added magnesium and I think that helped a bit. But in the end, I think it was just the time it took for my gut to heal from a lifetime of overstretching it with grain-based fiber.
                        Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
                        Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Comment

Originally posted by Rivvin View Post
                          Main Ingredients
                          2/3 cup coconut milk
                          1/4 cup unsweetened coconut
                          3 T almond flour

Optional Ingredients:
                          1 tsp vanilla
                          sweetener of choice ( i use stevia)
                          Berries

Heat the milk in a small sauce pan until it just starts to bubble and then mix all the other ingredients in. Let it simmer and stir occasionally until you get the thickness/consistency you want. Takes about 10 minutes for me.
                          What a great idea! And easy! Thanks for this!

Comment

i found with eating grains that i had horrendous poos with very scratchy bits that gave me bad piles. VERY nasty.

Nothing since doing this from beginning of September. But the first week or so I slowed to a snails pace. reason being - my body was soooo dependent on insoluble fibre to move me - it didn't know what to do..

tips;

*read the fibre menace. www.gutsense.org - there is more fibre in a cup of broccoli than a loaf of bread. educate yourself on fibre...

*take a prio-biotic - a very good one, as often as it will let you till your poo is like a dream...and then at least once per day

*eat enough fat to erm...lubricate! coconut milk is a good one and will replace your oatmeal (or to give it its REAL name - Porridge!)
                            if you use it in that recipe above!
                            *stick with it. it will be the best decision you ever made...

(ps rice is nutriotionally void, to the point of actually having "anti-nutrients" and can you imagine Grok plowing a paddy field with a big ox? No? That's why.

Grok would have used his hunting and Mrs G's gathering time to eat the most nutritionally dense food they could find in the shortest possible time. This means no grains. It's what our bodies are built for, eating meat, processing veggies, getting plenty sunshine and moving around, lifting heavy things and sprinting occasionally!

good luck!
                            Last edited by queen_sheba; 10-19-2010, 08:10 AM. Reason: adding sparkly stars...
                            Scottish Sarah

Join our UK/ROI Primal group here! http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...php?groupid=67

Give me a poke on facebook http://www.facebook.com/#!/pistepals
                            **Remember to tell me your forum name so I know who you are!**

Comment

And how about flaxseeds? Nothing for a primal huh?

And I bought Kefir today. Is it good? I saw it contained 4g carbohydrates...I don't know if that is much or little. Counted for each 100ml.

Also it is a 3% thing.

What does contain prio-biotic?

As fat. I eat alot of nuts. Good? And is olive oil acceptable as fat?

Thhanks in advance <3

Comment

Working...
                              X