Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Are Your Top 5 Reasons to Avoid Grains?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For most people, it's what they always ate, it's cheap sustenance, or it's easy.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Latest Journal

Comment

Avoid grains:
      1. poop is better
      2. farts are fewer
      3. mood is better
      4. not so fat!
      5. live long and prosper

In no particular order.

Reasons to eat grains:
      1. croissants with ham and cheese are actually pretty tasty. Also donuts iz good.
      2. cheap
      3. profit!
      4. ?
      If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Comment

Originally posted by lizch View Post
        I can eat absurd quantities of things made from grains. I am simply incapable of doing that with non-grain-based foods.
        I love this response! So true for me too. I used to (and admittedly would still love) eat a BIG plate of shrimp scampi accompanied with loads of garlic bread MMMM...and who wouldn't want a chocolate bread (brownie) ice cream sunday for dessert?

Comment

Many of my reasons have been said, but I'll repeat them:

1. Less bloated - nice to go to bed and not worry about pooting my husband out of it - I eat wheat or beans, and I'm a goner (well, HE is)
          2. I don't need to eat every 2 hours. With primal I'm learning to eat when I'm actually hungry. It's a novel concept to someone who has had to eat every 2-3 hours or I'd eat my desk.
          3. Weight gain - If I were to eat a bagel or pasta today, I would gain 5 pounds by tomorrow. I'm not kidding. While on primal, I lose weight without really trying.
          4. So much harder to go out to dinner when eating grains. I had to worry about calories, portion size, etc. Now I order a meat and some veggies and I eat until I'm full. I have even been known to leave food ON the plate (which is unheard of for me - I was definitely a clean your plate kind of gal).
          5. (kind of like 2, but I don't think I can emphasize this enough) - My focus can be on important things instead of worrying about my next meal. I'm so much less food focused on primal because I'm not hungry. When I get hungry, I eat some meat/fat/veggies and I'm happy again for a long time. Never thought I would be able to eat 2-3 meals a day and not want to gnaw off my arm.
          Last edited by Andtckrtoo; 10-18-2010, 04:07 PM.
          Christine
          Wag more, bark less

Comment

reasons to avoid

bloating
            ibs flareups
            energy
            more room for nummies
            most grain products contain sugar too

reasons to eat

like someone else said: croissants with ham, cheese, tomato and avocado (and maybe baby spinach if i have any) is a delicious breakfast lunch and dinner! oh how i miss them. ok i admit, i eat them now and again still...not nearly as much as i used to

because if you dont then everyone gets annoyed and rolls their eyes because your all special order at restaurants or if you go to their house for dinner they get all insulted because you didnt eat their homemade breadmaker breads, or birthday/any occasion cake/pie.

Comment

1. Get stored as fat/weight gain

2. High insulin levels, especially since I am already mildly insulin resistant, and the possibility of all my pancreatic beta cells dying out and me having to give myself insulin shots in the future and being at risk of going blind or having my foot cut off.

3. Speed up the body's aging/degradation process... sometimes when I am tempted by sugary sweets, I think about sugar's effects as a free radical on the body, how it basically corrodes the veins, how it degrades the skin and makes it less elastic, especially in me since I have PCOS and sugar will spike insulin which will spike testosterone, which uses up a lot of the nutrients that would otherwise support skin elasticity and firmness.

4. Don't taste that good to me, unless they come with some form of fat or sugar. Or a flavor such as white rice mixed with a spicy curry.

5. Quick bloating followed by blood sugar irregularities and a feeling of hunger which necessitates eating again.

And a wheat-specific one...
              * suspicion of mild gluten intolerance. I sometimes get a few hives/irritated red bumps on my face. And a suspicion of thyroid issues, which gluten only aggravates.

Comment

Because I hate hospital food
                Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Comment

I'm avoiding them because a book told me to. I tried it and lost a ton of weight so I'm sticking with it.
                  Started my journey on May 22, 2010:

Beginning weight ~180
                  Current weight ~145

Nov. 9, 2009........Nov. 9, 2010.....Jun. 17, 2011
                  LDL 155...............LDL 176............LDL 139
                  HDL 39................HDL 66..............HDL 95
                  TGL 154..............TGL 77..............TGL 49

Comment

1. They make me feel sick
                    2. They make me feel depressed
                    3. Too high in carbs
                    4. Fill me up and make less room for MEAT
                    5. Cause crash and burn lethargy

Comment

Originally posted by kcult View Post
                      I'm avoiding them because a book told me to. I tried it and lost a ton of weight so I'm sticking with it.
                      LOL! I guess that's me too
                      Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
                      Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Comment

1.) lectins
                        2.) opiate-like peptides
                        3.) gut damaging proteins
                        4.) low in nutrients
                        5.) high in omega 6

Comment

They cause me to be hungry all the time and force me to carry "snacks" around wherever I go! It' so liberating to IF and not have to carry food with me CONSTANTLY. Don't know what to bring for lunch? No problem - don't have lunch!

This would count as the top three reasons, ha ha. The other two for me would be blandness/pointlessness (my main use for them was as a vehicle for somethng else - cheese, tapenade, etc) and inability to control portions.

Comment

1 - Pre Diabetic and my doctor told me to lay off the starchy foods
                            2 - Bloating and gas
                            3 - Low nutritional value
                            4 - Constant hunger
                            5 - Depression/low moods

Comment

1. Stable blood sugar
                              2. Full after meals
                              3. Eat less
                              4. More Meat!!!!!!!!!
                              5. Better digestion

Comment

*Because its so convenient
                                *My government reccomended it
                                *My doctor agreed
                                *my family enjoys skipping grains
                                *People accept it so easily

Assuming you all get the sarcasm in this!
                                "Don't dream it, be it"

-Dr. Frank-N-Furter

Comment

Working...
                                X