No announcement yet.

Ack...Vegetarian needs help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blukazu, you might find this blog entry about beans and paleo dieting interesting:

http://www.paleo-diet.co/2010/09/bea...paleo-dieting/

Comment

This thread has led me on a tangent concerning gut flora and imbalances caused by diet. I was vegetarian/vegan for a number of years and while I was the thinnest (skinniest?) I'd ever been as an adult I also felt weak. Could a lifetime of vegetarianism lead to a lack of bacteria necessary for meat digestion making the revulsion to meat somewhat understandable?

Interesting take on this especially as relates to protein deficiency and excess fiber in the diet: http://www.gutsense.org/gutsense/flora.html
      Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

Comment

I eat beans myself... pinto, black, and kidney specifically... however I buy only dried beans and do all of my own soaking and cooking. These are my '20 percent' and the only non-primal foods I eat. I could do much worse I think.

Comment

@ blukazu: =D Yay you!

(yes! especially with parenting!)
          Last edited by Debbie; 10-17-2010, 03:54 PM. Reason: added who I was talking to =D

Comment

Supplement some zinc. Your taste buds rely on it. Problem solved.
            You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

Since you seem inclined to crunchier meats, how about beef jerky? We've been using a dehydrator lately with our own beef jerky marinades, either from sheets of beef or using ground beef (less stringy that way...)
              "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

Comment

About digestion after being vegetarian ... of course one can always try to make flora better, and feed them better, and it usually is a good idea. But I suspect that if one has trouble digesting meat just after it has been added to a meatless diet, it's more likely to be digestive enzymes. The body is thrifty and economical. If one isn't using something, it is down-regulated. This tendency may also explain how people eating Primal can have a little return to bread or sweets, and suddenly they feel just awful. The enzymes to deal with carbs may not be produced as plentifully as before.

So, if you start slowly with the meat, and gradually eat a little more and a little more, in pretty short order the enzymes will start being produced in the right amount again.

This is probably true for eating saturated fat as well.

Comment

Blukazu, I think lizch is correct in saying that you should introduce meat in small amounts with plenty of veg, it seems to be working for me, I am making sure I eat one small amount every day. Try and use lard, beef dripping and butter when you are cooking as well.

Princess Grok, I think Blukazu and I both recognise that eating Primal is best and that is why we are here and that is why Blukazu is asking for a bit of constructive advice (not criticism). On a personal note I don't really consider myself to be vegetarian, not with all the Wild caught fish that I eat - that seems to be a label other folk give me, but I do think that I eat Primal, and coming from this small island maybe my Grok Cave was by the sea. I do wonder if I am not getting enough of the right nutrients though and is it possible that I could be getting too much omega 3 compared to omega 6 until I get my meat content up?

Comment

piano-doctor-lady: Thank you! I like bacon but, until recently, rarely ate it because it was *so bad*. The bacon did not make me feel sick but cooking with the grease did. I just figured I wouldn't do it anymore; it never occurred to me that I might lack something necessary to digest it. (Butter and EEVO are total non-issues.) I had other unpleasant symptoms with full-fat yogurt and thought I'd wait a month or two before trying it again but, according to your theory, that might be the last thing I should do. Hmmm ... at this very moment, I am not feeling so hot, so I am just going to IF until I am hungry. I think I am going to stay away from the offending foods for awhile and then re-introduce them, one at a time (like one a week), in a little amount ... see what happens, and take it from there.

Comment

Originally posted by Blyss View Post
                      ...is it possible that I could be getting too much omega 3 compared to omega 6 until I get my meat content up?
                      You'd probably be the only person in the country with this problem if so! If in doubt, eat an almond or two.

Comment

Wow...thanks so much everyone for the ideas and support!

xntrik: the article was very helpful, thanks! I've always soaked my beans, but never lentils. If I do use them, I'll be sure to soak from now on. I think I'll probably return to legumes at some point--if I don't become a total meat-head--but for now, the carbs are too high for me to stay at or below 50 gr/day, which I really think is important.

Grumpy Caveman--what's the deal with zinc?

Ivy Blue, I think you're on to something. My tummy makes crazy sounds after I eat meat, almost like it is protesting. I will def. take it slow---and continue probiotics, yes?

I'm going to try making some jerky and also the crispy bits someone else mentioned.

Thanks again everyone!

Comment

Glad that you're feeling happier and have some new ideas, Blukazu.

Debbie, easy does it! And sometimes what you are having with particular foods matters almost as much as what the foods are and how much you are having. A little kim chee does wonders for how a meat meal sets with me. I'm sure a lot of cuisines use cayenne pepper for digestion as much as flavor. Also, if I'm eating a heavy cheese omelet, or some such, a half cup of coffee with the meal makes a big difference. Hope you find what works for you.

Comment

So, piano-doctor-lady ... is it acidic foods to cut the alkaline? Is that what you're doing?

Comment

Working...
                            X