X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• inadequate antioxidants in PB?

I just completed a "brain test" here:

https://www.braingradetest.com/brain-grade/sign_up

It's an assessment of lifestyle factors that could influence brain health.

In the food section, you had to check off on a list of antioxidant foods all the ones that you would typically eat, as apparently (no surprise) antioxidants are good for brain health. The trouble is, at least half of them were fruit (including berries, it is true). There was also cooked soy beans, a bunch of nuts, avocados.

For someone who is only eating berries and no other fruit in an attempt to avoid fructose, is allergic to nuts, and isn't eating grain or beans, it would appear to be a diet short of antioxidants.

Comments?

Berries are packed with antioxidents. I would like also, to point out that all fruits are on the PB. If you are avoiding fruits, that's on you, but green tea is a great source of antioxidants.

Comment

Cocoa and turmeric contain powerful antioxidants. Most brightly coloured vegetables do too. All are PB
      Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Comment

The brain consists of more fat than anything else; most google searches give 'at least 60%' as the answer which means it could be more. Therefore, quality of fat consumption probably more important in the long run for brain health than amount of antioxidants but of course that doesn't fit with CW.

Comment

Thanks for the responses. I do drink green tea and eat lots of cocoa, so that's reassuring.

I'm conflicted about the fruit. I love it, but I believe the PB says don't overdo fruit because fructose isn't good for you, and that berries have the most nutritional bang for the buck. If I eat fruit every day, it makes me crave carbs.

Comment

i think antioxidants are more important for someone not eating primal as their benefit would prolly counter some of the gazillion bad things about SAD
            Get on my Level
            http://malpaz.wordpress.com/

Comment

Both green leafy and colorful vegetables contain antioxidents IIRC? They are part of PB also.

Comment

Here is a list of someone's idea of the top ten anti-oxidant foods. The top 8 are primal, the bottom 2 are not.

http://www.crumcreek.com/library/antioxidant.html
                Tayatha om bekandze

Bekandze maha bekandze

Randza samu gate soha

Comment

Nothing wrong with fructose in moderation as it comes prepackaged in fruit.
                  You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

Originally posted by MalPaz View Post
                    i think antioxidants are more important for someone not eating primal as their benefit would prolly counter some of the gazillion bad things about SAD
                    I've long wondered whether antioxidants are overrated. Great minds etc.
                    A steak a day keeps the doctor away

Comment

The amount of hype that surrounds the idea of an "antioxidant" would seem to indicate that there's every possibility that they are over-rated.

Thanks for the comments, everyone. Like that list, Periquin.

Comment

+1 - given that processed carbs and other SAD nastiness drive oxidation, there should presumably be a much lower requirement for anti-oxidants when Primal. I don't know much about them, but they seem to have the scent of market-driven obsession about them to me.
                        My primal journal
                        You might find these handy: Free gluten free restaurant cards in 50+ languages
                        In Praise of the Primal Lifestyle

Comment

Originally posted by racingsnake View Post
                          +1 - given that processed carbs and other SAD nastiness drive oxidation, there should presumably be a much lower requirement for anti-oxidants when Primal. I don't know much about them, but they seem to have the scent of market-driven obsession about them to me.
                          Any science behind this?
                          Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Comment

@peril I can only hope that my memory serves me right from the stuff I've read over the years. For the actual references, you'd probably best do your own research
                            My primal journal
                            You might find these handy: Free gluten free restaurant cards in 50+ languages
                            In Praise of the Primal Lifestyle

Comment

The body creates it's own very powerful antioxidants. I can't remember where I saw it and therefore have no idea how true it is but someone had said that if you get loads of antioxidants in your diet your body will stop making them to the degree that you over get them from food. I agree with the logic. Getting the best health is about balance even when it comes to things that are great/vital for your body. Some oxidation is good as it keeps your body sharp at being able to fix the damage.

Comment

Working...
                              X