Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do I feel bad after eating sweet potatos but not after regular potatos?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do I feel bad after eating sweet potatos but not after regular potatos?

Everytime I eat a few sweet potatos I feel like shit shortly after. I get really tired and I can feel my heartbeat in my stomach and head. I often get this in a lesser degree from eating in general but not like that.
    Could it be that sweet potato's are difficult to digest and that when I eat them all energy goes to the digestive system?

How much are you eating, an entire one? I've never had this issue... have you noticed more of a pattern? like something you're eating along with the sweet potato?
    I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

Sweet potatoes are pretty high carb. Maybe you are getting a sugar rush -> crash?
      My blog: Pretty Good Paleo
      On Twitter: @NEKLocalvore

Comment

I usually ate 2 big sweet potatoes at once with some butter. It's not a sugar rush -> crash because like I said in the title I don't get this from eating regular potatoes (sometimes in even higher amounts). Besides I'm not worried about carbs, I can eat tons of fruit without feeling bad afterwards and I'm really lean.

Comment

Sweet potatoes are harder to digest than say squash or peas or fruit. I think the starch is different, maybe a double sugar chain?
          I'm on very strict paleo (GAPS) type diet to heal my gut and sweet potatoes are a no-no, along with regular potatoes.
          HTH!

Comment

Originally posted by Rivergirl View Post
            Sweet potatoes are harder to digest than say squash or peas or fruit. I think the starch is different, maybe a double sugar chain?
            I'm on very strict paleo (GAPS) type diet to heal my gut and sweet potatoes are a no-no, along with regular potatoes.
            HTH!
            Looked GAPS up and it sounds interesting, I will look into it when I have more time.

Comment

I don't crash like that from eating them, but they give me heartburn and stomach pains if I eat more than 1/3 a large potato (and I always got the same issue from eating sweet potato starch noodles). I prefer white potatoes and other root veg anyway, sweet potatoes are too sweet-tasting.

Comment

Originally posted by animalcule View Post
                I don't crash like that from eating them, but they give me heartburn and stomach pains if I eat more than 1/3 a large potato (and I always got the same issue from eating sweet potato starch noodles). I prefer white potatoes and other root veg anyway, sweet potatoes are too sweet-tasting.
                I think you helped me uncover the source of my new-found heartburn!

Comment

It baffled the hell out of me at first but it can be nothing else!

I still eat them, just in small portions.

Comment

I guess I will seek out the small ones from now on. Thanks for the help!

Comment

im baffled you can eat 2 big sweet taters in one sitting....that excessive fullness from them would def have my heart beating and temples pounding@!
                      Get on my Level
                      http://malpaz.wordpress.com/

Comment

In a PWO setting (2-3x/week) I eat two HUGE sweet potatoes that are somewhere between 1 and 1.5 pounds pre-cooked weight (combined). I've never had any problems with them.

Comment

Working...
                        X