Anti-Biotics - Recovery?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anti-Biotics - Recovery?

I woke up with strep throat/tonsilitis this morning (the test was inconclusive so apparently I have one or the other according to the doctor) and they put me on 10 days of anti-biotics.

One I finish these 10 days, what should I do to get my system back in working order? If I go to walgreens and purchase a bottle of pro-biotics will this be enough to kick me back into gear or should I consider anything else?

This wasn't a souerkraut related illness, was it?
    My blog: My Primal Adventure

"I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubble gum."

Comment

Originally posted by skink531 View Post
      This wasn't a souerkraut related illness, was it?
      Revenge of the sauerkraut, maybe?

Comment

Acidophilus Pearls is a good commercial brand. It comes in blister packs in a small, flat rectangular box. WalMart has the best price on these that I've seen. Some FAGE Total Greek yogurt would also be good. When I had strep a few years back, FAGE was the most soothing food during that time. You have to read your Rx instructions though as many antibiotics have specific directions re: dairy products.

Hope you're feeling better soon.
        312/149/150

Comment

Here is a good MDA thread all about probiotics... many good brands recommended here:
          http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...733-Probiotics

My own personal experience with antibiotics has been terrible. I took them last year for injuries resulting from a car accident, and they drained me of a significant amount of strength. I've been taking probiotics ever since, but unfortunately haven't experienced any recoup of the lost function.

A couple of the reviews of the powdered inulin (*pre*biotic) product below say that taking it along with their probiotics produced a noticeable benefit (i.e. the probiotics seemed to work better):

http://www.iherb.com/Now-Foods-Inuli...27-g/1100?at=0

I'm planning to give this a try sometime soon.

Comment

Originally posted by healthseekerKate View Post
            Here is a good MDA thread all about probiotics... many good brands recommended here:
            http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...733-Probiotics
            Those brands aren't available at Walgreen's though.
            312/149/150

Comment

Test inconclusive? How odd, I thought strep tests were really clear-cut these days.

Whatever it is, probiotics are good. Fage actually only has two "bugs" in it -- might want to try Stonyfield instead, or mix the two, or whatever. Stonyfield has five or six, as I recall. (under the "more is better!" theory...)
              "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

Comment

Thanks guys, I'll does up on greek yogurt and whatnot then once i finish these pills. Thanks for the advice!

Comment

Inconclusive couldn't this also mean you don't have a bacteria infection, which is the only reason to use antibiotics. Colds and sore throat are usually caused by a virus infection, so antibiotics do nothing if this is the case.

The rapid strep test and the culture can tell your doctor if you have strep throat. If something else is causing your sore throat, these tests do not tell what it is.
                  Maybe someone more familiar with the tests can give some input, but I think your doc may just be quick to prescribe antibiotics.

Comment

Originally posted by jostle View Post
                    Inconclusive couldn't this also mean you don't have a bacteria infection, which is the only reason to use antibiotics. Colds and sore throat are usually caused by a virus infection, so antibiotics do nothing if this is the case.

The rapid strep test and the culture can tell your doctor if you have strep throat. If something else is causing your sore throat, these tests do not tell what it is.
                    Maybe someone more familiar with the tests can give some input, but I think your doc may just be quick to prescribe antibiotics.
                    I totally agree with this, and maybe this is what makes me a bad primal person but I will take the anti-biotics anyways because my throat is swollen, covered in white, pussy looking lumps, and hurts like goddamn hell.

His words: "it could be viral but take these just in case"

Comment

Chicken soup. I used to have tonsillitis A LOT as a teenager and in college. I was told cool and cold drinks make your throat temporarily better, but worse in the long run, instead to have warm liquids.

To replenish gut flora, probiotics, yogurt, fresh sauerkraut, kimchee, kefir.

Comment

Can't blame ya, Rivvin. Even if it started virally, this sounds so bad that maybe antibiotics will prevent bacteria from taking advantage of the mauled terrain of your throat. Good luck...
                        "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

Comment

Originally posted by Egoldstein View Post
                          Chicken soup. I used to have tonsillitis A LOT as a teenager and in college. I was told cool and cold drinks make your throat temporarily better, but worse in the long run, instead to have warm liquids.

To replenish gut flora, probiotics, yogurt, fresh sauerkraut, kimchee, kefir.
                          I'm actually glad you said this, because the doctor told me to focus on hot teas instead of cold liquids as he described it as hot liquids are more readily able to "scrape" offending bacteria off the tonsils and into the stomach where they are more readily dealt with.

I thought it sounded hocusey pocusey but now not so much!

Comment

There's always the "gargle warm salt water" method. That's satisfyingly scrapey, and bacteria are not big fans of salt. Just don't swallow it by accident, of course...

Comment

Originally posted by Rivvin View Post
                              because my throat is swollen, covered in white, pussy looking lumps, and hurts like goddamn hell.
                              His words: "it could be viral but take these just in case"
                              Sure sounds like strep with those white spots in the throat. I only had strep one time in my life a few years ago and the sore throat was waaaay worse than any I had ever had before.

Oh, forgot to mention, what also helped a lot with the pain was throat spray such as Vicks Chloraseptic.
                              312/149/150

Comment

Working...
                              X