No Carb?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Carb?

Ok, it's no secret that I behaved badly this weekend. While I ate ok I did drink, and now I'm having the worst carb cravings, and my scale shot up about 7 lbs. I'm highly discouraged and disappointed in myself right now.

With these aweful carb cravings and my inability to control myself with food- eating when I'm not hungry- I've been floating the idea of going practically carbless for a couple days. Has anyone done this? Does it help? How long is it sustainable?

I'd appreciate whatever thoughts you all have.

does your "no carb" means "no plants"?

e.g. my yesterday's dinner, 20 egg yolks + 20 grams of cod liver oil, contained 12.5 grams of carbs (from yolks) (i know, that's a lot, and that's why my BF this morning was 0.2 percent higher)

if "no carb" does mean "no plants" it is quite doable: i eat plants only once in three-four days, though i can not say i feel good (actually, sometimes terrible) - but maybe this is because i'm still in the process of getting used to this regime, and will feel normal eventually

Comment

Yeah, that's basically what I'm getting at.

Eggs, coconut milk, meats, bone broth... that sort of thing. I don't want to go long term though, unless my body decides it likes it.

Comment

Diana

My suggestion is to pick yourself up and start over again. If this lifestyle/diet choice was easy everyone could do it but at times it is very difficult. Learn from your mistakes and move in a positive direction.

Comment

Diana eliminating carbs isn't the answer. Aim for 50 grams of carbs per day for a few days and you'll be fine.

By the way, that 7 lb increase was most certainly not body fat. It is most likely water retention brought on by the binge. Just give your body a few days to recover by eating primally and you'll see it disappear.

You would have to eat 24,500 MORE calories than you used to add 7 lbs of fat. It might have been a wild weekend but I bet it wasn't THAT wild. ;->

Have a good salad every day, a piece of fruit and avoid alcohol for a few days and you'll be fine. Or commit to the challenge that someone posted on this board today for a week if you really want to see a quick turn around.

Comment

Mostly I was hoping it would be a method to halt cravings... because just a little is never enough, you know?

I know the 7 lbs isn't fat, but it's still freaky. lol.

I generally don't drink... and probably won't touch alcohol again until Thanksgiving (thank goodness!)

Comment

I'm inclined to think that going with no carbs would increase your cravings. Make yourself a nice fruit salad of different berries and your desire for ice cream will probably diminish.

Comment

[quote]

Mostly I was hoping it would be a method to halt cravings... because just a little is never enough, you know? </blockquote>

I find this to be true.

Even a small amount of fruit or veg can give you the carb munchies.

I sometimes go for days without any fruit/veg. It is much easier to avoid carbs when you have go a day or so on meat and water.

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
                Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
                Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

Comment

A few weeks ago, I had a derailing weekend as well, and decided to go no carb for a few days. Like gn, I felt horrible-had fruit craving and NO energy whatsoever. I was hoping it would subside, but gave in and reincorporated greens. With veggies as carbs, my digestion and energy levels have improved. Perhaps no carb is not for everyone, or just requires persistence for the body to adjust?

Comment

I&#39;d suggest eliminating starches (grains and tubers) and sugars (including fruits), but not carbs. Keep the green veggies. I&#39;ve done that twice for six weeks. Difficult but doable.

Comment

Diana, I think thats a perfectly okay idea to go carb free for a few days. I think it will help ease the cravings and its not going to harm you. I&#39;m sure Grok had days where he ate no carbs.

Comment

I guess it could really go either way, right?

I don&#39;t really eat starches (save for a cookie and a half on saturday night, which soon got tossed from too much alcohol.) So not eating them is no problem- except the current cravings. I&#39;ve gone months without. Fruits... I generally have a piece (or a cup of berries) every other day. I can&#39;t wait til winter when it&#39;s not so abundant and tempting- lol.

For right now, since I have gobs of fresh produce on hand I made a simple ratatouille with pork which should last me a couple days. It&#39;s quite low in carbs (generally speaking) so I should be under the 50g mark without going "no carb." I&#39;m going to give this a shot for a couple days and see how I feel. If by thursday morning I&#39;m still having trouble, I&#39;m going to drop to "no carb" for a couple days. By the weekend I should be right as rain.

Comment

You literally tossed your cookies? LOL!

I thought my days of over-indulging with alcohol were behind me but a few weeks ago my neighbor made me two Super Big Gulp sized Vodka Tonics. This was after a 1/2 glass of wine and a beer (or two). Imagine my surprise when I found myself driving the porcelain bus later that night! At 47 I should know better.

My wife says I can&#39;t play with him anymore.

Comment

Diana, you may find this post of my helpful:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...plateau-broken

I find the only way to be rid of cravings is to not have "them" in the fridge, or wherever. A little bit then leads to a lot. Now, having said that, I don't have problems with carb cravings anymore, and I can eat, like yesterday, a small half piece of toast - hey, with organic butter! - w/o effect.

I wonder if the fact that I mostly also take carb blockers with things like that toast minimizes cravings? The body sure doesn't see much carb, only the mind.

Comment

When I&#39;ve gone carnivorous for a few days, I&#39;ve found all my cravings disappear. In fact, my hunger pretty much disappears. I may only eat one huge meal of meat with some cheese and not be hungry again for about 24 hours.

I&#39;ve found that I am naturally leaning towards very little vegetation in my diet and I feel great.

My Journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread74692.html

Comment

Working...
                              X