Falling Behind On Bacon Fat

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Falling Behind On Bacon Fat

My bacon fat jar is always full (keep topping it up), even though I use some every day for cooking. I hate to throw out the excess, but can't find a way to use it all. Any suggestions on how to use more?

i'm currently working on filling up my third jar. i use old salsa jars so i don't have to worry about anything other than fridge space.
    i use my bacon fat for pretty much all my sauteing now, plus i'll use it to grease pans, grease my grill, etc. Bacon fat has become my all-around kitchen tool...and i still need a third jar. if you're concerned about having too much bacon fat, i suppose you could just--gasp--eat less bacon. at least for a day or two.
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60178.html

Comment

I wish I had that problem! I can't seem to keep it onhand. I use it any time I would use another oil/fat... I just can't seem to keep it around very long lol

I think I may go to the local butcher and see if I can get some fat to render just to stock up... Unless you feel like fedex-ing me some of your excess? hehehe

Comment

I will also take some. My jar is always empty
        sigpic

Comment

Also... how do you get excess? When I make bacon in the morning, I use all of the grease to cook the eggs, then pour the whole lot on my plate. The mixture of egg yolk, hot sauce, and bacon grease makes for a very yummy ketchup replacement for my eggs. The only time I get a spare quantity is if I precook bacon to use in a recipe.

Comment

I microwave my bacon on a bacon tray and then dump the grease into a coffee filter set over a jar for pure filtered deliciousness. I have 5 jars.

Comment

My excess probably comes from using coconut oil to saute veggies or whatever else i'm adding to the eggs. I've thought about having a larger jar, or just more jars. But if I can't use what I have now, then what's the point? Also....Primalrob..you must be joking!

Comment

Coffee filter! Genius! That would be much easier than using a paper towel.
                http://www.theprimalprepper.com - preparing for life's worst while living for the best

Comment

Bacon grease mayo

Comment

I get the bacon is not bad for you thing, but when did it become a sign of manhood. I think some people here have taken the bacon thing a little too seriously. Maybe not the people in this specific post, but I have seen some others that made me feel guilty for eating lox instead. BTW I made the PB chopped liver last week. I sauted the livers in my extra bacon fat. It was pretty damn good.
                    "Don't dream it, be it"

-Dr. Frank-N-Furter

Comment

Originally posted by Chairdr View Post
                      I made the PB chopped liver last week. I sauteed the livers in my extra bacon fat. It was pretty damn good.
                      Liver cooked in bacon fat = nirvana
                      312/149/150

Comment

How long does it keep in the fridge?
                        Is it different if it's filtered or not?

Comment

I save my extra bacon fat in the freezer for a rainy day...I've been really dead broke before so I'm a bit of a food hoarder with an extra freezer full of chicken carcasses, steaks, vegg and bacon fat!! You never know when you need to fry some veggies or squash.
                          That's been my thing this week, frying up raw pumpkin slices in bacon fat to have with breakfast.
                          "It's never too late to be what you might have been." George Eliot

"Excuses are like asses, some are just bigger than others" Kathryn Martyn Smith

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
                            How long does it keep in the fridge?
                            Is it different if it's filtered or not?
                            In the fridge it will keep practically forever if filtered, but not quite as long if it has chunks of bacon floating in it (unfiltered)

Comment

Originally posted by darienx19 View Post
                              Also... how do you get excess? When I make bacon in the morning, I use all of the grease to cook the eggs, then pour the whole lot on my plate. The mixture of egg yolk, hot sauce, and bacon grease makes for a very yummy ketchup replacement for my eggs. The only time I get a spare quantity is if I precook bacon to use in a recipe.
                              I have this problem too. I've yet to harvest ANY bacon fat. I use the bacon to produce fat to then saute the onions/peppers/celery etc. I just eat the whole lot.
                              Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
                              Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Comment

Working...
                              X