Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coconut milk powder

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Coconut milk powder

    I'm curious about coconut milk powder. I've seen it mentioned here once or twice, but can't find where it was. I want to get some to use in smoothies for my daughter. Canned coconut milk isn't convenient in some instances.

    I know dried milk powder (dairy) is not good because of oxidation.

    What about the coconut? Is it different because of the fat profile?

  • #2
    Just keep in mind that it can have a "mild" laxative effect.
    http://www.facebook.com/daemonized

    Comment


    • #3
      It was mentioned in the Primal Fuel thread. And also, I asked about it in this thread. I haven't gotten answers yet. Maybe it's time for some independent research.

      Comment


      • #4
        I am based in the UK and really keen to try and find somewhere that sells coconut milk powder. Similar to this:

        http://www.wildernessfamilynaturals....-milk/CMP5.php

        Anyone from the UK have any experiences/suggestions?

        Thanks.

        Comment


        • #5
          I was in a store a week or so ago looking for coconut milk (for the Primal Blueprint coconut ice cream recipe) and there was powdered coconut milk right next to the cans. The fat content was very very low in the powdered stuff compared to the can. I'm guessing that fat doesn't go through the powdering process (whatever that is) which is why powdered milk is always skim v. whole. I'm not saying to stay away from it, I may even get it sometime soon, it just didn't seem like a 1-1 trade off for the actual canned milk.

          Comment


          • #6
            Agreed - Coconut milk definitely trumps the powdered alternative. I was intending to use in dry shake mixes as has been discussed on the forum previously (potentially protein powder, cacao powder and coconut milk powder).

            Also important to be vigilant when buying coconut milk powders with regards to added ingredients. I understand that the powdered version requires a small amount of milk protein to stablise the fat. This is not overly concerning (unless you are avoiding dairy). What is more concerning is the fact that several powdered coconut milk products have been taken off the market in the UK because they do not list said protein on the ingredients list. What else are the leaving off the list?

            Many powdered coconut products also seem to include the sweetener maltodextrin which is also added to many traditional 'snackfoods' - potato chips, crackers. This is enough to put me off.

            Comment


            • #7
              If your actually using this to make milk and drink solo, why not just by the coconut milk.
              if your using this to supplement into a smoothie or some recipe with multiple ingredients can't you just use coconut flour.
              I know the coconut flour from tropical traditions is pretty much a powder and only contains coconut.
              http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/or...onut_flour.htm
              This is from there site:
              "Tropical Traditions organic coconut flour also contains over 19% non-gluten protein! Therefore, it makes an excellent addition to shakes and smoothies where fiber and protein are needed. Or simply dissolve a spoonful in water as a high-fiber drink with a coconut flavor! This organic coconut flour is very versatile and very tasty. Sprinkle it over your favorite dishes to add a wonderful coconut flavor, use it as a thickener in soups and sauces - the possibilities are endless!"

              I'm sure other quality coconut flour brands will also work the same.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by jostle View Post
                If your actually using this to make milk and drink solo, why not just by the coconut milk.
                if your using this to supplement into a smoothie or some recipe with multiple ingredients can't you just use coconut flour.
                I know the coconut flour from tropical traditions is pretty much a powder and only contains coconut.
                http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/or...onut_flour.htm
                This is from there site:
                "Tropical Traditions organic coconut flour also contains over 19% non-gluten protein! Therefore, it makes an excellent addition to shakes and smoothies where fiber and protein are needed. Or simply dissolve a spoonful in water as a high-fiber drink with a coconut flavor! This organic coconut flour is very versatile and very tasty. Sprinkle it over your favorite dishes to add a wonderful coconut flavor, use it as a thickener in soups and sauces - the possibilities are endless!"

                I'm sure other quality coconut flour brands will also work the same.
                Coconut flour has no fat, so it kind of loses the creaminess in the smoothies. Plus it won't be as satiating. I think that's why the OP is interested in a coconut milk powder. Cillikat swears by her brand--says it tastes way better than canned!

                Comment


                • #9
                  The powder would be good for someone going off on a yachting cruise, easy to carry when you are away from grocery stores for a month or two. OTOH, if you go in the islands, there ought to be plenty of coconut trees around!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by jqbancroft View Post
                    Coconut flour has no fat, so it kind of loses the creaminess in the smoothies. Plus it won't be as satiating. I think that's why the OP is interested in a coconut milk powder. Cillikat swears by her brand--says it tastes way better than canned!
                    I actually bought some coconut milk powder and it has 10 g of fat per 2 T. It tastes great...IMO better than canned stuff. But it gives me a crampy stomach. Will that go away with time? Coconut oil does the same thing to me. I used it for my daughter's pumpkin spice smoothie this morning and she liked it and didn't complain about a tummy ache. I'm just wondering why coconut products give me a tummy ache.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by ShannonPA-S View Post
                      I actually bought some coconut milk powder and it has 10 g of fat per 2 T. It tastes great...IMO better than canned stuff. But it gives me a crampy stomach. Will that go away with time? Coconut oil does the same thing to me. I used it for my daughter's pumpkin spice smoothie this morning and she liked it and didn't complain about a tummy ache. I'm just wondering why coconut products give me a tummy ache.
                      Coconut is very laxative for many of us. While I don't get noticeable cramps unless I drink a lot, I still may have to stay very close to a bathroom for anything over 1/4 cup. Having said that, it does appear to be getting better.

                      I do take digestive enzymes with it. Over time, as we adapt to using coconut and our gut flora respond accordingly (per ayers), gut tolerance should improve.

                      And fwiw, I love the powdered coconut milk. It's only as 'low fat' as one makes it. It can be thick like coconut cream or thin like dairy milk depdnding on how you mix it.

                      While it does have a *microscopic* amount of casein and maltodextrin, it doesn't have issues with BPA or other compounds leaching from cans. Remember, even the BPA-free cans have to be lined with something and while that something isn't currently known to be problematic, BPA wasn't either until a few years ago.

                      Having said that, I do use canned milk occasionally, I just prefer the powdered milk.

                      K
                      Last edited by cillakat; 10-16-2010, 08:05 PM.



                      iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by cillakat View Post
                        Coconut is very laxative for many of us. While I don't get noticeable cramps unless I drink a lot, I still may have to stay very close to a bathroom for anything over 1/4 cup. Having said that, it does appear to be getting better.

                        I do take digestive enzymes with it. Over time, as we adapt to using coconut and our gut flora respond accordingly (per ayers), gut tolerance should improve.

                        And fwiw, I love the powdered coconut milk. It's only as 'low fat' as one makes it. It can be thick like coconut cream or thin like dairy milk depdnding on how you mix it.

                        While it does have a *microscopic* amount of casein and maltodextrin, it doesn't have issues with BPA or other compounds leaching from cans. Remember, even the BPA-free cans have to be lined with something and while that something isn't currently known to be problematic, BPA wasn't either until a few years ago.

                        Having said that, I do use canned milk occasionally, I just prefer the powdered milk.

                        K
                        You are right that you can make it as thin or thick as you want. It truly is delicious. I much prefer the taste of the powdered to the canned. It's sweeter tasting and goes down a lot easier.

                        It didn't feel like a laxative to me. It felt like a ton of gas getting built up in my stomach. Is it from having pathogenic flora and the antimicrobial content of the coconut milk "fighting" it? My doc says I likely have a tremendous amount of bad bacteria and yeast due to taking proton pump inhibitors and having a bad diet for so long.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by ShannonPA-S View Post
                          I actually bought some coconut milk powder and it has 10 g of fat per 2 T. It tastes great...IMO better than canned stuff. But it gives me a crampy stomach. Will that go away with time? Coconut oil does the same thing to me. I used it for my daughter's pumpkin spice smoothie this morning and she liked it and didn't complain about a tummy ache. I'm just wondering why coconut products give me a tummy ache.
                          Check to see if it has maltodextrin. I bought a box of Maggi coconut milk powder and it does. I think it upsets some peoples stomachs. If so try the canned.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by ShannonPA-S View Post
                            It didn't feel like a laxative to me. It felt like a ton of gas getting built up in my stomach..
                            Sounds to me more like hypochloridia. This could account for the reflux you do (or did) have which prompted the use of proton pump inhibitors and would also play into the gut pathogen overgrowth.

                            Have you ever tried betaine HCl?



                            iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by cillakat View Post
                              Sounds to me more like hypochloridia. This could account for the reflux you do (or did) have which prompted the use of proton pump inhibitors and would also play into the gut pathogen overgrowth.

                              Have you ever tried betaine HCl?
                              I take it now and it doesn't seem to make much of a difference. But I still take it because I want to make sure I'm digesting any food I eat since I had weight loss surgery and can't eat much. It doesn't make a difference in my heartburn/reflux. I also take digestive enzymes, but I can't seem to take anything with cellulase in it (causes severe bloating/vomiting). I found that out the hard way with the Digest Gold enzymes and then, even worse, Candex (which is nothing but cellulase enzymes). So I got Lypo Gold by Enzymedica (I think it's protease, lipase, amylase, and something else, but NOT cellulase!) and I take those along with the Betaine HCl w/ Pepsin. I only take 1 because I have a tiny tummy and I tried 2 once and felt a lot of "warmth." I also still take Zantac but it's getting better.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X