Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone here like the taste of Kefir milk? Bought my first quart today!>>>>>>

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone here like the taste of Kefir milk? Bought my first quart today!>>>>>>

I haven't tried it straight up yet. I actually bought it for my egg/whey shakes. Plain yogurt is delicious to me where a few years ago it wasn't, so I hope I can acquire a taste for kefir!

I had it once, years ago, and didn't like it... I should try it again. Let me know what you think.

There was a little boy (probably 8 years old) in my local natural food co-op last weekend who got SO EXCITED when his dad said he was buying kefir. It was freaking adorable.
    "mayness, you need to have a siggy line that says "Paleo Information Desk" or something!" -FMN <3

I'm blogging again, at least a little bit.

Comment

I like it just fine in shakes, with some sweetener. Doesn't taste very different from yogurt, just looser. I think it's really high in probiotics, though; I seem to recall it could give me a rumbly tummy.

Comment

I sometimes wish I could have a "Do Over" with my kids---I'd raise them to eat much healthier. My kids just grimaced when they saw that I bought kefir......

That boy sounds cute!

Comment

I make my own and I must say it took a while to get used to drinking it straight up. I use it mostly in smoothies and have recently started drinking it straight as a post work out drink (maybe 6 oz or so). But now I enjoy it but it is a bit sour like buttermilk. Like most things, it does require acquiring a taste.

Comment

I think it's delicious. Pretty similar in taste to plain yogurt and as PrarieProf said, a little looser. I think it's similar from a macronutrient perspective too, so if you're trying to keep carbs really low for some reason, be careful.

Comment

I have it quite often... just had one for breakfast
              it might take some time to get used to.. but if you like the taste of regular yogurt ( such as greek) you should not have a problem!

Comment

So where do you guys actually buy Kefir?

I've gone to Publix, Walmart, Winn-Dixie, the "odd" grocery store called Apple Market and none of them have Kefir. I have been looking in the yogurt section and the milk section. Where is this crap at?

Comment

I had a serious addiction to the stuff when i was a little one, i have it occasionally now and still love it.

Comment

Originally posted by Rivvin View Post

I've gone to Publix, Walmart, Winn-Dixie, the "odd" grocery store called Apple Market and none of them have Kefir. I have been looking in the yogurt section and the milk section. Where is this crap at?
                    YES, I have the same question. Is it refrigerated in the store, or is it on the shelf near yogurt? Does it come in a milk-like carton?

Best to all,
                    Grizz

Comment

Originally posted by Rivvin View Post

The local Russian supermarkets in Boston carry it - have you tried the ethnics places where you live? Otherwise, I'm pretty sure you can buy it in WholePayCheck (but the first option is significantly more wallet-friendly!).

Comment

Unless I've been misinformed, the supermarket kefirs will all taste very different from the homemade scoby-produced kefirs because the marketed ones are not allowed to use the yeasts that would create an alcohol content. Hence, the supermarket kefirs all taste and feel much like a soupier version of yogurt. I found the supermarket kefirs delicious back in the day when I was still trying to include dairy.

Making kefir on your counter with raw milk and a scoby is another animal entirely. The scoby contains yeast and that means that your kefir will contain alcohol--maybe just a little, but it will be there. (Note: I'm not saying alcohol is bad.)

I found my homemade kefir barely tolerable no matter how I tried to tame it with cinnamon, vanilla or primal-friendly sweeteners. I could choke it down because I saw it as a health food and my last option for keeping dairy in my life, but ultimately facing down that kefir every day became too dreadful. And once I kicked the dairy, I felt much better anyway.

I know some people truly savor the taste of real kefir. For me it was gruesome. To each his own.

Comment

Comes in a plastic milk type bottle, refrigerated. That narrows nit down. Usually with the refrigerated soy milk.
                          Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

Comment

I like the store bought kefir that i get. I'll drink it plain or mix it with berries for desert. My mom tried it once and the disgust on her face was hilarious. Acquired taste I guess.

Comment

I like the real deal that we make with Milk Kefir grains and raw milk. I like it plain, but depends on the batch and how mild or sour it is fermented. I also like it in my morning smoothies.
                              You'll never see the light if you're in someone else's shadow, or said another way, life is like a dog sled team, if you're not the lead dog, the scenery never changes

Comment

Working...
                              X