No announcement yet.

Canned Sardines?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i have a can of sardines sitting in my pantry waiting to be eaten but i have no idea what to use them in... Will you give me ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by QuirkyPixy View Post
      Try an Asian grocery store. I went to H-mart today and they had fresh, whole, wild-caught sardines there...
      you lucky duck!!! i can only dream about having h-mart here. what a great store. but there isn't one here in cinci. there are barely any korean restaurants here.........you know......the wonderful midwest. i went to h-mart for the first time in march, when i was in dallas, which has the 2nd largest korean population in the country. i was in heaven. (in h-mart, NOT dallas!) maybe i'll check out the huge international store here (jungle jim's), even though it's like 30 miles away.

Comment

Originally posted by Lars86 View Post
        Thanks for the replies guys, keep em coming... I went ahead and emailed King Oscar which is one of my favorite brands. I'll post up when they reply about their tins...
        King Oscar rocks.

I'm eating sardines 2-3 times weekly now. Just eat them right from the tin.

Comment

Any ways of cooking them for more flavor variety? Sardine cakes?
          My journal where I attempt to overcome Chrohns and make good food as well

Comment

I had this for breakfast this morning:

A little fat melted in a pan (I had some lamb fat!), added chopped fresh collards (could use any leafy green or even shredded cabbage or broccoli), popped a can of sardines, tossed in, and then added pesto. I think it took all of 10 minutes and it was really good, but if you can't handle it for breakfast, it would make a nice lunch.
            www.chowstalker.com We don't do cupcakes.
            www.desserrtstalker.com We still don't do cupcakes.
            http://followingmynose.blogspot.com/

Comment

I don't think that Laquer is Primal, I doubt Grok ate it.

Comment

@FMN that breakfast looks awesome, Collard Greens prevent Acne

Comment

Originally posted by Stevoreo View Post
                  @FMN that breakfast looks awesome, Collard Greens prevent Acne
                  Thanks Stevoreo! That's good to know about collard greens and acne. Why is that?
                  www.chowstalker.com We don't do cupcakes.
                  www.desserrtstalker.com We still don't do cupcakes.
                  http://followingmynose.blogspot.com/

Comment

I think that in Scandinavia they eat sardines on bread with lots of BUTTER. Mmmmmmm....Scandinavian butter!

Comment

foil is the answer

i understand foil envelopes like the ones tuna come in now do not have BPA. Some sardine vendor should jump on that and grab that niche right away. In fact that would be good for canned salmon too. I'd pay more to get them without BPA. I've been eating brunswick sardines as a compromise on price/quality. Sometimes the Brunswicks are too big, or too mushy, or even too fishy, though that's rare. I like the olive oil ones, and the jalopena. I'd like to see the jalopena sardines in olive oil instead of soy oil. The soy Omega 6 may negate the Omega 3 in the sardines. I like to make a sandwich with hot sauce, and very thinly sliced raw garlic, sometimes sweet onion. When they get over a certain size, I tend to remove the backbone, though I know its healthier to leave it in.

Comment

Originally posted by Bushrat View Post
                        You can buy those in Australia too. They are the ones I eat.
                        +1 - Love the brunswick sardines

Comment

Originally posted by yodiewan View Post
                          I'm not sure honestly. I know that many stainless steel cans use BPA though. I emailed the makers of Brunswick sardines and they replied that since the can was aluminum, it did not have a BPA lining. I also read on a thread here that Black Top salmon cans are BPA-free.
                          Brunswick and other brands by Bumble Bee are NOT BPA free. I just received an email and they simply say that per the FDA the amounts in canned foods are safe. They wrote "We have been in contact with our can manufacturers and they indicate that in agreement with The Food and Drug Administration, the levels of Bisphenol-A present in canned food poses no threat to human health. " You can inquire further emailing to Bumble Bee Consumer Affairs at: ConsAffairs@bumblebee.com

Comment

Ah that sucks I eat Brunswick sardines almost every day.

Comment

Originally posted by netmouser View Post
                              Brunswick and other brands by Bumble Bee are NOT BPA free. I just received an email and they simply say that per the FDA the amounts in canned foods are safe. They wrote "We have been in contact with our can manufacturers and they indicate that in agreement with The Food and Drug Administration, the levels of Bisphenol-A present in canned food poses no threat to human health. " You can inquire further emailing to Bumble Bee Consumer Affairs at: ConsAffairs@bumblebee.com
                              Hmm. Maybe they have changed to using BPA since I received my email reply back in 2010. Here is what they told me at that time (16 August 2010):

Thank you for allowing us the opportunity to respond to your concerns regarding our Brunswick Sardines in Spring Water.

No, it does not as the can is made of aluminum, only when the product is canned in a steel metal container a anamel coating is apply inside the can.

Thank you,
                              Bumble Bee Consumer Affairs

Comment

damn, looks like you just can't escape it! However for those of you living in the UK check out Waitrose's fish bar: sometimes they sell four large sardines for less than a pound!

Comment

Working...
                                X