I used to love red wine.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I used to love red wine.

I'm a little sad about this. I used to drink 1-2 glasses of red wine a night. Last night I poured a glass of my favorite $3 cabernet and it was like drinking juice. Just really really too sweet. Guess I might have to switch to expensive dry bubbly or something else. What do you guys like to drink?

if it's $3, it ain't wine!

jk. hubby is in the wine biz so we are snobs. We mostly drink Oregon Pinot Noir. sooooooooooo good...

Comment

I like really dry bitter red wines, I can't remember the name of this one Italian wine I tried at one of my jobs, but it was IT... I think I prefer such wines because I can't really drink too much of them so it's a good way to not go over board. I can't really stand any white wine.
      I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

A good Pinot Noir is by far my favorite wine! I've never liked very sweet wines.

Regardless, I never go over a glass or two in one sitting. Being drunk is not my cup of tea and I've found that since going Primal, I can start to feel a little buzz after just one glass.

Comment

$3 wine ? isnt that what u put in yr lawn mower ?

pinot noir for me

Comment

Shiraz for me. Cabernet is much fruitier
            Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Comment

I probably go through at least one bottle of red wine a week. I've never found a decent bottle for $3 but recently I discovered Barsao Campo de Borja. Its only $7 a bottle and its really surprisingly good. Not as dry as a pinot but definitely more substantial and nowhere near as sweet as most reds. It tastes like a $20 bottle. Just stock up and order a case. Its also great for sauces for beef and lamb. If you can find the 2005 that's the best one but the 2008 and 09 are fine.

Comment

A subject after my own heart. I love wine. Personally I like a good Zinfandel, or Shiraz, or Petit Syrah, ha ha... Pinot Noir is good but not my favorite. Though Elwyne has a good point, Oregon Pinot is really good. I could go on and on but I don't want to bore you. I think with every type of wine, each wine maker has their own technique that adds different quality's so I think trial and error is a good thing. Unless you know what you like in a wine. Personally I like a really Oaky wine, especially in a Chardoney, but I like red best.

Comment

Originally posted by Lightlystarched View Post
                  I'm a little sad about this. I used to drink 1-2 glasses of red wine a night. Last night I poured a glass of my favorite $3 cabernet and it was like drinking juice. Just really really too sweet. Guess I might have to switch to expensive dry bubbly or something else. What do you guys like to drink?
                  I don't believe I've ever seen a $3 bottle of wine. You're talking about $3/bottle, not $3/glass, right?

Anyway, I can relate. Red wines are my favorite, but I've always had trouble finding varieties I like that aren't too sweet. And ever since PB got me to dump the sugary snacks, everything tastes twice as sweet as it used to. I systematically went through all the cabernet's sold by local stores until I found one with a tolerable level of sweetness. The brand is 'Smoking Loon'. I'm reasonably happy with it, and it's pretty cheap (under $10 for 750 ml I believe, though local/state taxes can probably change this figure a lot).

I've just begun my search for a pinot noir that is flavorful, not too bitter, and not too sweet. No luck yet. :\

Comment

$3 a bottle. Really. Its like two-buck-chuck (which is now three-buck-chuck) but sold at my favorite Tesco-derived grocery. The "house" brand, if you will. I think it is Big Kahuna. It is a Cabernet/Shiraz blend and so very delicious (or at least I used to think so).

I will have to experiment to find a new wine-for-cooking (but not cooking wine!) I like to drink whilst in the kitchen.

Comment

Some of the Tempernillos are spicy and not as sweet, those are my favorites!
                      http://healthymindfitbody.com
                      "Achieve your perfect weight through the mind-body connection!"

Comment

Sounds like you're in England, where the selection will skew Euro-ozzie instead of S. American for the cheaper stuff. For less than US$10, I pretty much only go for Chilean or Argentinian these days - OZ wine is too predictable at the low end, just no interest / variety, and European wine under $10 just generally stinks, at least the stuff that gets exported to the US. Cheap California wine - what little there is of it anymore tastes just like the OZ stuff.
                        The major exception has got to be wines from weird parts of Italy, which are always better than you'd think they'd be. All personal taste, and what is available in your locale, of course.
                        If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Comment

Oh dear,

I am on my second bottle of red tonight at the moment. Anyway where are you that you can get a serious bottle of red for around 3$?
                          My whole life, I've felt like an animal......but I've ignored my instincts. I ignored what I really am. That will never happen again.

My blog

Comment

I find that most wine is too sweet now as well, had my first glass in 3 weeks last night and couldn't finish it, tooo sweet.
                            ~*Lori*~
                            my Primal journal : http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...-momofredheads
                            my food blog http://iamhungrywhatsfordinner.blogspot.com/

SW 231 as of 1/1/2012
                            CW 192

Comment

Originally posted by Adventure8410 View Post
                              Oh dear,

I am on my second bottle of red tonight at the moment. Anyway where are you that you can get a serious bottle of red for around 3$?
                              You can get $3 buck Chuck at Trader Joes. I don't know if you have them in Ohio but they do have good prices on wine.

Comment

Working...
                              X