Coconut products

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coconut products

So I've been loving coconut oil for cooking, eating straight out of the jar, mealting and pooring over salad etc. but have just finished my jar of Chantal unrefined oil. Problem is the store I bought it from has changed hands and don't stock it anymore. They're getting some other brands in, which I need to do some taste tests of. But it got me looking around for places to buy in bulk and make some savings.

Has anyody bought from these guys before?
    www.coconutoil-online.com
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Originally posted by tfarny
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

nope, i go to whole foods and get a jar for like $6. it's organic and unrefined, awesome.
    Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, that's bad for you! ~Tommy Smothers

Comment

tropical traditions or amazon for Nutiva (?) organic virgin...good stuff.

Comment

No, I haven't but I've ordered from Tropical Traditions five times now, and their customer service is excellent. I've always received my order in two business days.

Comment

The place you linked is way overpriced in my opinion. I've ordered from Nutiva and their's is great, I have heard great recommendations for Tropical Traditions and they cold press and all that. I'm looking into Tropic's Best as it's cheaper, but havn't tried it yet ... Nutiva's $50/gallon which is reasonable but as much as I use it adds up. Tropical Traditions has good specials occasionally, if you join their facebook they post regularly and you can get a great deal.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback folks

I live in New Zealand and am struggling to find a bulk supplier, and buying a jar at a time is working out too expensive as they run around NZ$9 to NZ$13 / 300g jar.

You'd think I'd be able to find somewhere local that imports from Fiji or Samoa, but having trouble.
            If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Comment

Originally posted by Misabi View Post
              NZ$9 to NZ$13 / 300g jar.
              That's approx US$6 to US$10 / 10 fluid oz.

So you guys do get some really good deals in bulk buying from places like Tropical Traditions and Nutiva! 2 pints for US$20 !!!
              I just need to find out how much shipping would cost now...

Thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by Misabi View Post
                That's approx US$6 to US$10 / 10 fluid oz.

So you guys do get some really good deals in bulk buying from places like Tropical Traditions and Nutiva! 2 pints for US$20 !!
                Nutiva Organic Extra Virgin Cococnut Oil available at the Dekalb Farmer's Market. I pay $5.99USD for 800g/1.75lbs/28 oz. (21 per oz!!)

iherb.com has great prices as well, better than TT or Nutiva. Their international shipping rates are quite low.
                Nutiva, Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil, 54 oz (1532 g) $23.95 = 44/oz

Jarrow Formulas, Coconut Oil, Extra Virgin, 32 oz (908 g)$14.37 = 45/oz

Now Foods, Virgin Coconut Oil, Certified Organic, 20 fl oz (591 ml) $9.74 = 49

Nutiva, Raw Coconut Oil, Extra-Virgin, 54 fl oz (1.6 l) $28.00 = 52

Their coconut flour prices also beat just about everyone else;
                Bob's Red Mill, Organic Coconut Flour, Gluten Free, 16 oz (1 lb) 453 g
                $7.18

Coconut Secret, Raw Coconut Flour, 1 lb. (454 g)
                $5.81
                Last edited by cillakat; 10-11-2010, 07:10 PM.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Comment

Wow, silo'd photos AND links! Impressive!

Comment

I also buy the Nutiva from Amzon and if I remember correctly, the shipping was free.

Comment

I'm interested in the coconut powder that was mentioned in the Primal Fuel thread. Is the coconut oil mixed in with the dried powder that has been de-fatted or what? In a book that I have on dehydrating, I read that fat does not dry. Also, how much coconut milk would a given amount of powder make? Thanks in advance.

@cillakat: Thanks for the heads up about coconut oil at Dekalb Farmer's Market. I live closer to Macon, but I make trips to the Atlanta area every few months. I will definitely swing by there next time.

Comment

Originally posted by yodiewan View Post
                        I'm interested in the coconut powder that was mentioned in the Primal Fuel thread. Is the coconut oil mixed in with the dried powder that has been de-fatted or what? In a book that I have on dehydrating, I read that fat does not dry. Also, how much coconut milk would a given amount of powder make? Thanks in advance.
                        I am also curious about this, sounds likea good alternative to the cans
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by cillakat View Post
                          Nutiva Organic Extra Virgin Cococnut Oil available at the Dekalb Farmer's Market. I pay $5.99USD for 800g/1.75lbs/28 oz. (21 per oz!!)

iherb.com has great prices as well, better than TT or Nutiva. Their international shipping rates are quite low.
                          Thanks cillakat, great post

Comment

On the way home last night I swung by a part of town with a high polynesian population and found a couple of stores selling various coconut products, picked up a couple of cartons of coconut cream (both under NZ$4/carton), different brands to test, and a 750ml bottle of oil for NZ$3.99. Which compared to the 400ml jars going for around $10 was a bargain... or so it seemed.

The cream I've tried so far is Cocomas, the carton ingredients only list coconut, and I can well believe it. It's extremely thick and creamy, with a strong natural flavour. Not organic, but very tasty.
                            http://www.cocomas.com.sg/index_files/Page534.htm

The other is a Kara UHT 88% (approx) coconut product, with added water and emulsifer.
                            http://www.kara.com.sg/html/products.htm

The coconut oil is Punjas Premium Quality Oil Coconut, and at NZ$3.99 seemed to good to be true.... and it sure was! Said 100% coconut in the ingredients.

It's slightly yellow in colour and looked mottled in the bottle. Kind of like milk left way to long... with lumps of the yellow stuff and then pockets of clearer substance, presumably the pure oil separating out. And wasn't anywhere near as solid at room temp. as previous white looking oil I've used. I was guessing that it was maybe more of a creamed coconut instead of an oil. At the bottom of the bottle was a brown sediment, which almost looked like coconut husk. "How natural and unfiltered is this?", thought I.

The smell wasn't too bad, could smell coconut. But the taste, OMG!!! It was absolutely foul! Soapy, rancid and kinda burned my mouth & throat in a spicy aftertaste way, which was very difficult to get rid of.

Looking at their website they don't even mention coconut oil anywhere: http://www.punjas.com/

Have had an upset stomach all morning, feeling sick and running to the toilet several times.... not happy. The only thing I've eaten out of the ordinairy has been thecoconut oil..

Comment

Having just seen the coconut fat survey, maybe the coconut cream berry smoothie I had this morning was just too much for me to handle....

I've never eaten so much in one hit, or not used in a meal (e.g. curry, etc.) before, but never had any adverse reaction to eating coconut oil before (but that would've only been a spoonful at a time).

Comment

Working...
                              X