Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best white tea?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Best white tea?

    I'm looking for a good white tea. Preferably in bags, because it's easier to make at work.

    I can't seem to find a white tea without pomegranate in it. What gives, why is it always with the pomegranate? I've tried them, the pomegranate adds too much tang. Good tea should be mellow and subtle, not bright red and tasting like half a box of nerds.

    Does anybody have any suggestions in terms of brands and where I can obtain?
    A steak a day keeps the doctor away.


  • #2
    I don't know about absolute best but here is the best deal by far:

    http://www.sfherb.com/store/loose-tea,category.asp

    4oz Bai Mu Dan white tea for $6.

    To give you some idea of what other tea shops charge:

    Samovar Tea Bai Mu Dan (same style, maybe not same exact batch of tea) goes for $19 for 2 oz!

    http://shop.samovarlife.com/White_Te...e_Tea_s/40.htm

    Peets also sells a white tea, $11 for 2 oz.

    http://www.peets.com/shop/tea_white.asp

    Samovar's teas are lovely and if you have the budget you can experiment if you want 'the best.' But SF Herb co's is good enough for me and costs 1/6th as much.

    If you want to try a few different varieties another place to try is:

    http://www.uptontea.com/shopcart/toc...as&child=White

    Comment


    • #3
      Thanks! Taking a look now.
      A steak a day keeps the doctor away.

      Comment


      • #4
        Does nobody offer it in bags?
        A steak a day keeps the doctor away.

        Comment


        • #5
          Just get a tea pot and strainer, or even a strainer that fits right in a mug. Tea in bags is usually much lower quality.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by TigerJ View Post
            Just get a tea pot and strainer, or even a strainer that fits right in a mug. Tea in bags is usually much lower quality.
            +1, you can also buy packages of empty tea bags and mix your own
            sigpic

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by MeatMe216 View Post
              +1, you can also buy packages of empty tea bags and mix your own
              I'd have to do that if all I can find is loose tea. I can't brew a whole pot of tea at my desk. I have a small source of hot water that can fill one mug at a time, it actually comes out of the coffee machine.
              A steak a day keeps the doctor away.

              Comment


              • #8
                Just google for 'tea mug strainer' and lots of things will come up.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Revolution makes a pear white tea in bags. Very mild. It's whole leaf tea.

                  Stash makes a raspberry white tea that is yummy. I can tell it's not as high quality as others, but it's good. And the fusion white/green they have is also good.

                  I am an avid drinker of loose-leaf tea at home and I think it's better, but at school, I only use bags.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by ShannonPA-S View Post
                    Revolution makes a pear white tea in bags. Very mild. It's whole leaf tea.

                    Stash makes a raspberry white tea that is yummy. I can tell it's not as high quality as others, but it's good. And the fusion white/green they have is also good.

                    I am an avid drinker of loose-leaf tea at home and I think it's better, but at school, I only use bags.
                    I have to ask, why do they always pair white tea with some sort of fruit flavor? White tea is delicate and refined all on its own. Being forced out of your palate by pear, or raspberry, or pomegranate sort of defeats the taste.
                    A steak a day keeps the doctor away.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by shiggles View Post
                      I have to ask, why do they always pair white tea with some sort of fruit flavor? White tea is delicate and refined all on its own. Being forced out of your palate by pear, or raspberry, or pomegranate sort of defeats the taste.
                      There's plenty of plain white tea...just not in bags. lol

                      I do like the Stash fusion green/white, which is plain.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Or, as someone else mentioned, the make your own option. I haven't done that, but I do have the little unbleached bags. It wouldn't be hard, and you can steep them more than once, so not that wasteful.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          You know what? I just remembered that Stash does make a "premium white tea." Although probably not premium to the tea connoisseur, it was good. I had it at a friend's house. If you search Amazon, there are some plain white tea bags.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by ShannonPA-S View Post
                            You know what? I just remembered that Stash does make a "premium white tea." Although probably not premium to the tea connoisseur, it was good. I had it at a friend's house. If you search Amazon, there are some plain white tea bags.
                            Ah ha! Finally, the plain, bagged white tea I'm looking for. I just found it on their site. And I think they sell it at my local supermarket. Gracias!
                            A steak a day keeps the doctor away.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              FWIW I've seen the cheapo Salada brand white tea bags at Walmart. Just plain white tea, no weird fruit flavors. I think it was $2-$3 for 40 bags. It is almost certainly not "the best" white tea in bags, but it might be the best bang-for-buck.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X