Herschel Walker, Intermittent Fasting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Herschel Walker, Intermittent Fasting

This is an interesting article a friend turned me on to: http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/10/11...ex.html?hpt=C2

I always liked Herschel, especially since he played here in Dallas for the Cowboys. Check out his diet. I wonder what he really eats?

Wow, the man is a machine, that's awesome. Good find.
    http://www.facebook.com/daemonized

Comment

I love Herschel, there is a video of him talking about his training as a boy. "I didn't have no gym, so I just did stuff around the house... 500 dips, 400 pull ups, 1,000 sit ups, everyday"

The numbers I'm making up from memory but sort of match what the article states. I bet it's his multiple personalities helping him get those reps in there...

I wonder if he's Muslim? Why would a southern boy be a vegetarian?

I think that muscles react to training, plain and simple, they don't really NEED outrageous amounts of proteins, or exact ratios of carbs, etc in order to be there. As long as you stimulate them, they will develop (the type of development will depend on the type of training, obviously) Herschel is another example of that. A dude that busts his ass training but doesn't care to micromanage his diet. Even his fasting isn't planned.

However, after all is said and done, can we say Herschel is HEALTHY? He may look great, be able to perform in his sport, but is he healthy? Eating a meat free diet (he's gotta eat eggs right?!?!) and eating "bread and salad" for dinner, can he really be healthy?
      I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

He is vegetarian, but not vegan from what I could draw. He also owns a fried chicken chain and some kind of meat processing plant. I makes a valid point, but I would certainly not try to duplicate his training methods.

Comment

A vegetarian that owns a meat processing plant?

I guess he's got his mind on his money ...

Comment

From a few articles I read, he has been vegetarian for the last 20 years. So, he didn't grow up that way it doesn't sound like.

Comment

Originally posted by iniQuity View Post
              I
              Why would a southern boy be a vegetarian?
              ?
              haha my thoughs exactly
              Get on my Level
              http://malpaz.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by john_e_turner_ii View Post
                From a few articles I read, he has been vegetarian for the last 20 years. So, he didn't grow up that way it doesn't sound like.
                As a MMA fighter, there's no way he doesn't have a trainer or something making him at least drink whey protein or something. I'd definitely be interested in some sort of journal form Herschel. Anything IF intrigues me.

Comment

Some people believe crazy things like that meat is bad for you and then bread and a salad constitutes a meal. What is with these athletes and their ridiculous nutrition? Michael Phelps becomes to mind. Like yeah you can still be a good athlete if you eat junk but if you have the genes and the nutrition you can be like John Meadows. http://blog.cholesterol-and-health.c...ith-liver.html
                  Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Comment

Yeah, he says he doesn't count the macros that he eats, but there is probably some trainer that does.

Comment

Originally posted by iniQuity View Post
                      As a MMA fighter, there's no way he doesn't have a trainer or something making him at least drink whey protein or something. I'd definitely be interested in some sort of journal form Herschel. Anything IF intrigues me.
                      I am not so sure. I have read several blogs of people that are in great shape, building muscle, but pay not mind to specifically getting in any certain amount of protein. Johnny from The Lean Saloon says he doesn't pay any attention to protein, yet he is in as good of shape as anyone I have seen. However, a lot of that could be genetics I admit. I believe some people just have a naturally athletic physique with less effort than most of us. Not that they don't have to watch their diet or fitness routine, but that it doesn't take as much. That is likely the case with Herschel.

Comment

SAYYY WHAAAT ?

Originally posted by article
                        Sometimes, Walker doesn't have an appetite and will go through seven hours of wrestling, kickboxing, sparring and practicing jujitsu without having eaten for three or four days.

"It's just unbelievable," said Mendez, who trains Walker at the American Kickboxing Academy in San Jose, California. "He shouldn't be able to do what he's doing. I don't think it's possible to eat as little as possible and work out the way he does. There's no way. He's an unbelievable athlete."

At 5:30 a.m., Walker wakes up to do 750 to 1,500 push-ups and about 2,000 sit-ups.
                        http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/10/11...ex.html?hpt=C2
                        This man is a MONSTER! The HULK !
                        Grizz
                        Last edited by Grizz; 10-11-2010, 01:37 PM.

Comment

I’m sure.

I had a buddy in high school from Yugoslavia (now Serbia and Montenegro) and he was a big kid, with a great model type build that he keeps to this day through training and he used to eat garbage at lunch day in and day out just like the rest of us, only he looked great, washboard abs, all that jazz.

Need a distinction be made between looking great and actually having athletic skills though? Sometimes when someone says “he’s in great shape!” they really mean that he has low BF% and generally looks good but that doesn’t mean that he can do x-thing … there’s many that are more interested in simply looking good than what they can do with their bodies. I like reading Johnny’s blog, and I know he’s a poster here, but I think most of what he does workout wise is meant to keep him looking good, but also to improve his health. I guess we all fall into that in some regard but I’d like to think that personally I’m doing things to achieve a certain skill set and hopefully looking good will follow along… but that's unfair to others who may also be doing the same but not outright stating it.

Comment

Working...
                          X