spaghetti squash

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• spaghetti squash

I finally got around to making this (with a marinara meat sauce to go on top) (hand still intact) and HOLY COW I didn't realize how filling such a stringy little veggie could be. I googled to make sure I didn't "overeat" and about 7.5-8 oz cooked has about 14g carbs. I feel like it was more like 50g. It was DELICIOUS though, very satisfying, and relatively cheap. Look forward to making this a lot as the weather gets even cooler.

Eating spaghetti squash with marinara as we speak! SO DELICIOUS! I wish I had meat sauce though! And some quality parm!

Spaghetti squash is my favorite thing in the world, I swear it. I missed spaghetti so much! MMMMM

Comment

I have been wondering about this myself. Did it taste "squashy?" I still have nightmares of being made to eat soggy yellow squash as a child. Just can't choke the stuff down.
      Mermaid

Comment

Originally posted by Tara View Post
        Eating spaghetti squash with marinara as we speak! SO DELICIOUS! I wish I had meat sauce though! And some quality parm!

Spaghetti squash is my favorite thing in the world, I swear it. I missed spaghetti so much! MMMMM
        I'm not even an Italian fan, but I have always loved marinara....since I can't do mac and cheese, this is and has become a huge comfort food for me. Is it available year round?

Comment

I'm not sure, I had it for the first time in January, found it at the Metropolitan Market (up in Tacoma) which is sort of like a baby Whole Foods but I'm sure they had it shipped in from somewhere exotic... Just saw it this week at Trader Joes next to the pumpkins and acorn squash.. I'm wondering if it's a Fall thing? I'm going to have to go google this!

Mermaid, it doesn't taste squashy at ALL when you put marinara and parm on it... it's basically just a way to eat yummy sauces with out grains or tons of carbs! Score!

Comment

Did it taste "squashy?"
            You're asking the girl who will eat ANYTHING (besides celery), so I am not sure I'm the one you want to be asking. I mean, you know it's not pasta per se, but it still kind of played mind games with you. It's more "el dente" and I have always used whole wheat pasta, so it was pretty much the same for me.

Comment

Okay, just checked, it's peak is from early Fall through Winter.... Makes sense that I had it in January!

Comment

Originally posted by Tara View Post
                Okay, just checked, it's peak is from early Fall through Winter.... Makes sense that I had it in January!
                Means we need to stock up now!

Comment

All squashes are in season right now throughout the winter. You can get them fairly cheap at any local stand or your grocery store. My favorite is acorn squash or butternut squash cooked with a slab of butter in it and drizzled with honey!! I have a big ole spaghetti squash sitting on my counter which will be dinner one night this week.
                  ~*Lori*~
                  my Primal journal : http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...-momofredheads
                  my food blog http://iamhungrywhatsfordinner.blogspot.com/

SW 231 as of 1/1/2012
                  CW 192

Comment

It's only squashy if you over-cook it.

Comment

Ours was a little crunchy tonight, kind of al dente, but really good!

momofredheads, you just cut off the tops of the squash and put butter in and cook it? Can you tell me how? I am looking to expand my squash horizon!

Comment

Mmmmm, yummy!

I think it is nothing like yellow squash, which is a summer squash like zucchini. Winter squashes taste different. Most taste more pumpkiny (is that a word?) Not spaghetti squash though, it has a taste of its own. My 7 year old likes it BETTER than he likes spaghetti, win!
                        Meghan

My MDA journal

Primal Ponderings- my blog- finally added some food pron :P

And best of all my Body Fat Makeover!!

Comment

Best way to prepare it, IMO, is once cooked, lay it out on a cooling rack and pop it in the fridge over night. This removes a lot, but not all, of the moisture. You've got to remove some of the moisture or it's just to soggy, at least to me.

Comment

Just had some tonight with meatballs. Love it. Had it twice this week.
                            Family Living Simple blog

Facebook

Twitter @Famlivingsimple

Comment

Working...
                            X